Favorite Wild Party

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#25re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/11/08 at 11:52am

Now to be fair, I haven't seen both of them live. I prefer the Lippa version (though I wish they had done more with Nadine) but what I've heard is...

Pure score - Lippa
Seeing the show - LaChuisa

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#26re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/11/08 at 12:06pm

I am the biggest Sondheim fan, and have been for 30 years...and I do not understand the comparison between him and LaChuisa. I dont think his scores are sophisticated at all.

Guettel is the only young composer I'd compare to Sondheim...not LaChuisa.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Boq101
#27re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/11/08 at 12:21pm

I hate threads like this, because it upsets me that people need to compare the two works. They're both different interpretations of the same poem, and they both highlight things the other doesn't in many ways. The shows are very different, and really don't need to be pitted against each other.

Lippa's score doesn't need to be as intricate as LaChiusa's because his vision of the show doesn't need that, it's fine as it is. Same thing with the stuff in LaChiusa's. Don't compare simply on the basis that one used an electric guitar and the other didn't. The guitar in Lippa's works; as much as it detracts from the "period piece" of it all, I couldn't imagine that score any other way. Same thing with LaChiusa's. I enjoy them both in different ways.

Mattbrain
#28re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 5:11pm

LaChiusa is the only one I have but from hearing samples of Lippa's and doing research on the two, I definitely prefer LaChiusa's Wild Party

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

fetzles1490
#29re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 5:25pm

I prefer Lippa's by far. I just haven't gotten into LaChiusa's from what I've listened to. Granted, it took me awhile to get into Lippa's too. I'm probably having issues with LaChiusa because I heard Lippa's first and learned to love it, so hearing such a different score to the same characters and story is throwing me off.

Joshua488
#30re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 6:34pm

BrianS, yes, something is to be said about connecting with a bigger audience: the material is simpler and more accessible to people who may not have the capacity to understand more complicated and sophisticated material. I think it's unfair to compare Wicked and The Light in the Piazza, considering that Wicked is an entertaining theatrical spectacle, while The Light in the Piazza is completely the opposite: a deep, meaningful work of artistry. Granted, Wicked is a lot of fun and is making millions of dollar, but you can't say that its accessibility and box office revenue automatically mean it's comparable.

Boq101, what's wrong with comparing two pieces of art? Essentially, that's what we're doing. Isn't that what people do with art: discuss what they like, what they dislike, and how they like it in comparison to other pieces? I think to say that comparing two shows is upsetting, especially when they are based on the same source material, is absurd.
Updated On: 1/23/08 at 06:34 PM

joniray
#31re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 8:02pm

The Gallery Players in Brooklyn (where Yank was done last year) is doing Lippa's version in February. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again.

Gallery Players Updated On: 1/23/08 at 08:02 PM

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#32re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 8:22pm

I think Lippa's is better just to listen to, but LaChuisa's is a more solid piece

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

Brick
#33re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 8:27pm

LaChiusa. Far more adventurous, sophisticated, and accomplished.

WiCkEd BaCcHaE Profile Photo
WiCkEd BaCcHaE
#34re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:10pm

Go for LaChiusa.

Fantastic score and cast. Lippa's is more iPod friendly but LaChiusa, for me, is the future of musical theatre

"Truth is rarely pure and never simple."- Oscar Wilde

"If I could only do one thing before I died, it would be to swim with a middle-aged couple from Connecticut."- a dolphin

Lance2 Profile Photo
Lance2
#35re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:22pm

A few days ago I've seen a production of LaChiusa's Wild Party. It was horrible.

So I would say Lippa's version is more accessible. Although LaChiusa's version is more daring. I still prefer LaChiusa's other scores over his Wild Party.

I prefer Lippa. Personally... re: Favorite Wild Party

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#36re: Favorite Wild Party
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:56pm

I'll make it simple...LaChiusa!

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

Videos