pixeltracker

Next to Normal - Next to Good- Page 2

Next to Normal - Next to Good

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#25re: Next to Normal - Next to Good
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:12pm

The following for this show does not only stem from the Feeling Electric bootlegs. I don't have it and have never heard it and don't plan to. I don't know how N2N is different and I don't care. Some of us were introduced to the show with this run at Second Stage. I happened to go because Alice Ripley was in the cast. I like edgy, "hard issues" fare so that was an added bonus.

The show is far from perfect. But it has possibly almost perfect casting (both vocally and acting wise) and tackles issues that are pervasive in mainstream American society that few creative types would want to consider as a premise for a show- a musical one at that, in a way that allows for an emotional connection both among and between the cast and the audience. It can only get better.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 02:12 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#26re: Next to Normal - Next to Good
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:16pm

"It can only get better."

Let's hope so!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

AntonEgo
#27re: Next to Normal - Next to Good
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:45pm

jordangirl, I saw the show shortly after it opened. I understood that the scene was taking place in Diana's mind, but it still did not sit well with me. I find it hard to explain exactly why. I guess the doctor's ridiculous costume made the whole thing seem silly.

bsherms
#28re: Next to Normal - Next to Good
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:23pm

I found the Feeling Electric scene deliciously disturbing, actually. I loved when they got into Diana's mind, personally, I thought it added great flavor to a show that could easily have been a Lifetime movie. Another thing I absolutely loved was Gabe. My favorite scenes were definitely with Alice and Brian, and basically whenever Aaron came onstage because I thought his character was an incredible and powerful influence on the story (and he's just damn good). I do agree that they should fix the ending song--I was crying with that scene with Gabe and Dan, and the last song sort of ruined the moment for me.

I actually wasn't impressed with Jenn Damiano at all. I thought she sounded amazing (the girl can sing), but her acting seemed stilted, repetitive, and... well, bad. I went in expecting to end up a huge fan of her, but was sorely disappointed. I don't understand the obsession other people on this board have with her; I thought she was the only weak point in a wonderful cast.

jake6970
#29re: Next to Normal - Next to Good
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:26pm

I think a lot of the love stems from her voice. Her acting is ok, but I've seen her do much much better in Spring Awakening. However, she has one of my favorite voices. Not only does she have an awesome belt, her straight tones sound almost computerized. She can do such cool things with her voice.

Gloryday225 Profile Photo
Gloryday225
#30re: Next to Normal - Next to Good
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:10pm

Jenn has a GORGEOUS voice, but I agree about some of her line deliveries. Sometimes I'm very impressed with her and other times I find her to be a little repetitive and angry. One of the times I like her is when she's backstage at her concert waiting for her parents to come and she turns her back to Henry and puts her face in her hands, and when she turns back around and belts "SHE'S NOT THEEEERE" you can see she's crying and completely disheveled looking. It's very effective.

To those who saw the show before the changes, believe me when I say that make the show a lot smoother. *spoilers* when Diana is on the floor rolling around in bread and lettuce, you very clearly get the message that there's something very wrong and it's much more chilling than her incident at Costco.

Frankly, what makes me love this show so much is the cast. I believe it's pretty damn near perfect. Alice Ripley is unbelievable. I personally am a huge fan of her voice, but even if you're not you can't deny that her acting is incredible. She has the ability to turn a light off in her eyes so she becomes completely blank and hopeless looking, and it's extremely chilling. And Brian is heartbreaking. I'm just so impressed with every single person in the cast. Asa Somers doesn't have a huge part but he definitely makes the most of it. I don't believe there's a weak link in the bunch. I admit that the show is flawed, but I think what's there right now is still pretty damn impressive.
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 08:10 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#31re: Next to Normal - Next to Good
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:50pm

Some of the lyrics were very hokey and seemed to say, "oh well this rhymes." I really wish I could remember what they were more specifically, but some of them just seemed cheezy.
Second act, when Natalie is singing to Henry and on multiple occasions uses "Hen-ry" as the rhyming couplet. It's cringe-worthy to the point that it pulls you out of the story as you reflect on the awkwardness of the lyric.

The "Feeling Electric" scene bothers me because I feel it makes light of electric shock therapy.
I felt the same way, about both that scene and My Psychopharmacologist and I.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Videos