pixeltracker

Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre, VA- Page 2

Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre, VA

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#25re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 1:05pm

Those pictures look fantastic!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Brandy_Breath
#26re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 6:16pm

"That much of him? Is there nudity in the production?"

From where I was sitting, there was some until Will shoved his shirt down.

Thinking over what I saw last night, I am still blown. Rush tickets are in my future!

Avatar ~ Jesse JP Johnson as Jack in Glory Days.
Ben Crawford dot Com

hockeynut Profile Photo
hockeynut
#27re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/17/08 at 2:48pm

I saw the show last night on press night and it's technically brilliant. It's the best lighting and sound I've seen and heard anywhere in a long time. And the set is massive and you feel like you are in prison with "the boys." I'm a big fan of Hunter, Natascia and Will, and they all deliver outstanding performances. The orchestra is perfection.

I'll be podcasting cast members in a few weeks and I'll post them here when they are online at DC Theatre Scene.

Our NYC Theatre Buzz Columnist Richard Seff, who was Kander and Ebb's agent for many years, wrote a wonderful article about Fred Ebb. Here's the link. Enjoy it.
Richard Seff on Fred Ebb

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#28re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/17/08 at 3:06pm

The show was beyond incredible.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

PK2
#29re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:59am

I saw the show this past weekend as well.

I agreed that it's a very good production. The set is better than many Broadway show. The lighting and costume are great as well.

Will Chase is the best of the show. I have always been fan of his performance from Rent, Aida, Lennon, and others. He's deserved to have a good material/ role on Broadway.

Hunter Foster is in fine voice and shows the other side of him. However, I have a slighly problem with his portrait of the charactor. His acting gives me a feeling of comedy of error in term of straight man acting like a drag queen. It reminds me of one of those shakspear's comedy of error type.

Natascia Diaz gives a very good performance. Her dancing is a highlight of her performance. Her voice is not very powerful but low, which gives another kind of impression.

This was my first experience with the show. I have never seen nor listened to the cast recording before. I was very excited to see becasue I have been hearing about it for along time. However, I must say that I was disappointed by the material. I'm a big fan of Chicago and Cabaret. I felt like Kiss of Spider Woman is very dated. Most charactors are one dimension. It does have a couple great songs such as 'Dear One', which was well done in this production.

massofmen
#30re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:09am

I drove down to see this show and it was all worth it.
Unbelievable production of a flawed but wonderful show.
Mr. Foster and Mr. Chase give exuberant and compelling performances that had people crying (myself included) throughout the intimate house. The rapturing diva quality to ms. diaz is captivating every time the brilliant lighting captures her on stage. The set is stunning, and the ensemble characters also do their jobs very well.
But the show is a showcase for Mr. Foster and Mr. Chase. I have seen them in many productions on broadway and off (Aida, high fidelity, Producers, Urinetown, Little Shop and yes Frankenstein) and this is the apex of both their careers. They both transcend what they have done prior to a new level of excellence.
Bravo Mr. Schaeffer for an exquisite production.
There is not a broadway show this season (or last for that matter) that compares to this producion of Spiderwoman. A beautiful love story that can only come from the brilliance of Kander and Ebb.
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 10:09 AM

GetUp&LiveIt
#31re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:35am

PK2- there was nothing even remotely drag queen-esque about Foster's portrayal of Molina. He was delicate and masculine where need be. The character of Molina believes himself to be a woman. In his mind he is not a gay man. Mr Foster brings just the right feminine qualities to his portrayal of the role. I thought he was outstanding. The production shows the range of this tremendous actor.
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 10:35 AM

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#32re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:04am

I am SO excited to see this in a few weeks!!!! Love the pictures!

PK2
#33re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:44am

GetUp&LiveIt - Sorry to mis-represent. I did not mean that Hunter Foster acted like a drag queen. He certainly did not and there is no drag queen costume or make up either. What I meant is that I don't feel the organic from the acting. It's like seeing a comedy of error part, which audience is intended to know that he is not who he is. That's just how I felt. Thanks.

Joy Behar Profile Photo
Joy Behar
#34re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:10pm

lets not forget the ever talented, Helen Hayes Award Winner, ERIN DRISCOLL. She plays Marta in this production, and I thought her take on the role was particularly moving. And that girl can SING!

philcrosby
#35re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:37pm

I am sorry we will be missing this, it sounds great. We WILL be seeing THE VISIT, though. Cannot wait!

Brandy_Breath
#36re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:17pm

I have to really disagree with you about Erin. I have loved her in other shows but I really felt she was blah here.

Avatar ~ Jesse JP Johnson as Jack in Glory Days.
Ben Crawford dot Com

GetUp&LiveIt
#37re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:29pm

The role is blah. Talk about an undeveloped character. I thought she did a fine job with what she was given and sounded lovely.
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 02:29 PM

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#38re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:17pm

I've been a big fan of Erin for a few years. Her performance in Assassins was brilliant. But yes, there was not a whole lot she could do with her role in this show. She sang it beautifully.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#39re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/25/08 at 1:04am

drove to dc from nyc and the saw the show sunday night.. brilliant production. and i had seen the original with chita et al- so my expectations were high...

it did not disappoint- hunter foster, steals the show.amazing performance. chase also gave a great performance..diaz, (she had big chita's shoes to fill)...was good. she had some great moments. (the russian scene) she was great, but her voice and dancing were not as powerful/energetic. i must say the stage is very small, not a lot of room for dancing....Overall, a great production. well directed, fast paced. never dragged..

go see it...if in nyc go down, worth the trip.

i wonder if producers have consider bringing it to ny? they should

Videos