pixeltracker

Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre, VA

Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre, VA

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#1Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre, VA
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:27pm

Did anyone else go? I don't want to give too much away for those of you who plan to see it later in the run. I had my doubts when the original casting of Hunter Foster, Will Chase, and Natascia Diaz went out, but I was very surprised. A lot of it worked. The person I was most surprised about was Foster; though I am a fan, even I thought the casting was very odd. He pulled through well with a lot of it (acting wise). I think Diaz will also grow into her role during the run. Her dancing was first rate.

Its a very well-sung production with the usual Signature suspects in the ensemble. Will Chase was the standout vocally. Its also possibly the most complicated show the theatre has done set wise.

Go see it along with the rest of the shows that are part of the festival.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

KChenowethfan
#2re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/13/08 at 4:52pm

Nice article about how Hunter Foster approached his role of Molina from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/13/AR2008031301659.html

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

RentBoy86
#2re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:32pm

What made the set so complicated? Also, I'm not familiar with the Signature - how big is the theater?

TheaterAddict7652
#3re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:35pm

I'm going to see this in about a month. Glad you enjoyed it!

There's a lot I am not certain of...

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#4re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:53pm

Thanks for the review...I am definitely curious to hear more! But, I think I have made my mind up to get tickets when I get paid...and then the next paycheck, tickets for The Visit.

Can't wait for either.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#5re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/13/08 at 8:54pm

Signature has a very intimate space. I adore it. If you're in the first few rows, you're practically on the stage. However, it never feels cramped.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

bwaydoc Profile Photo
bwaydoc
#6re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/13/08 at 9:11pm

Going to see this next weekend and I can't wait!

I wish I could go back to college. Life was so simple back then. - Kate Monster.

"Who here feels like they have no idea what they're doing?" - George, Grey's Anatomy

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#7re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/13/08 at 9:38pm

Thank you so much for your review KChenowethfan! I really appreciate it! Glad you enjoyed the show and I can't wait to hear more reviews!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

KChenowethfan
#8re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/13/08 at 10:12pm

The set had many levels and moving parts and a lot of intricate lighting, something that usually never happens in this space even for high profile shows like last summer's Witches of Eastwick. As others have said it is a very intimate theatre- even being the bigger one in the building. There is a representation of the set on the theatre's blog space (http://sigtheatre.blogspot.com/).

The good thing was that even though it was more technically complicated, it still had that bare-bones "real/non-spectacle/not overly miked" element that is so prevalent in all of their productions.

For this particular show, front row is literally almost touching the stage. Very intense for some scenes, but it was a great view. The seats on the far end might not have been so great though.

Matty958- I would get your Visit ticket ASAP. There was a sign in the box office saying many dates were sold out for that show.

Updated On: 3/13/08 at 10:12 PM

phillyactor
#9re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/14/08 at 12:01am

Hello all!

I have been a visitor to this site for about 4 years now and I have just joined as a member. I just got back from the 3rd preview of Spiderwoman at Signature. I am a frequent DC theatre goer and Signature Theatre is one of the top companies in the city.

Before the show, I had no knowledge of the music, story, or characters of the musical. I just knew it was brought to life by three very talented actors and music by the brilliant team of Kander and Ebb.

The show was for the most part entertaining, it dragged in parts. I do not if it was the show itself or the pacing of the staging, but my eyes began to wander mid way thru the first act. The second act was much tighter and proved to be very compelling, I was fully invested in the entire piece by that point. The design elements were outstanding as usual at Signature. The set was massive and intricate, the lighting was beautiful ,but non-distracting. The costumes were appropriately grungy with the spider woman having gorgeous gowns and fur coats.

The music was..eh...pretty forgettable except for Dear One, which was a very moving quartet. There is also a scene where Molina is singing to his mom on the phone and then he, Valentin, and the spiderwoman sing a trio number which was just heartbreaking and amazing (except for Diaz..more later.)

As far as the performances go, I went in expecting great things from all the three leads. I had seen Mr. Foster and Mr. Chase in many shows before and they have proved to be spectacular. I had heard nothing but great things about Ms. Diaz. Foster and Chase were exceptional, especially Hunter. He played such a dramatically different part than Seymour, Frankenstein, or Bobby. He had the audience in the palm of his hand. His acting was incredible and his singing stellar. As noted by chenoweth fan above, Will Chase was the definite vocal standout of the night, his voice is great and I really enjoyed his entire performance.

However, Ms. Diaz needs some work. I know it was only the third performance, but she has no energy at all. Her dancing was ok, she has technique..great..but without energy it comes off as nothing. I felt like she didn't even want to be on that stage. Her singing was soft and wispy and I could barely hear her most of the time. (It was not the miking, I could hear everyone else and it is an intimate space.) I could see how this peformance would give Chita her Tony, as it is an amazing, well written part, but Ms. Diaz put nothing into it. Unfortunately, it bogged down the entire show. I hope she grows into it and proves me wrong.

Overall, a very entertaining night if a tad sluggish night at the theatre. Foster and Chase are at the top of their game and supported by an amazing ensemble. Diaz needs help, so please Mr. Schaffer give her a red bull or something and boost up her energy.

support dc theatre!!!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/14/08 at 12:06am

The score is forgettable? WOW. Some amazing K&E songs in this score , if you ask me.

phillyactor
#11re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/14/08 at 12:12am

the music was beautiful, don't get me wrong, its just i didnt walk away remembering or humming the tunes.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#12re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/14/08 at 7:28am

Forgettable and dragged, wow!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

PK2
#13re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/14/08 at 8:55am

Thank you for the post. I have beening waiting for this post all week. I'm going to see this weekend so I'm very excited about it. My seat will be in the dress circle so I hope it's ok.

KChenowethfan
#14re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:34am

Concur on Diaz as I said in my post. But they were still in previews so...

The dress circle gives you a great view. The side seats are not as good though usually.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#15re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/14/08 at 12:17pm

KChenowethfan -- thanks for the heads up on The Visit! Will be booking both shows today.

Brandy_Breath
#16re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 12:48am

I just got back from tonight's performance and was bloowwwn away.

Going in, I really knew nothing about the show and based on seeing Hunter in other things I was like, um... we'll see. And I was really freaking excited about Natascia and no real thoughts on Will.

Holy crap. Hunter stole the show. And Natascia was amazing too - her dancing was crazy. The ensemble deserves a lot of credit, crazyness.

And I can truthfully say I never expected to see that much of Will Chase ever in my life.

Avatar ~ Jesse JP Johnson as Jack in Glory Days.
Ben Crawford dot Com

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#17re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 12:49am

That much of him? Is there nudity in the production?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

phillyactor
#18re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 1:28am

very glad to hear you liked it..hunter and will were amazing, glad you were impressed with diaz, the red bull must have worked

GetUp&LiveIt
#19re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 1:34am

I saw the show tonight also and it was fantastic. Will Chase and Hunter Foster were perfection. I'm also happy to report that Natascia Diaz was stunning as the Spider Woman. Her rendition of the title song was the best I have ever heard. I'm exhausted and going to bed now, so more thoughts later.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#20re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 1:34am

I am so excited to see this on Sunday!!!!!!!!! I can hardly stand it.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

KChenowethfan
#21re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 10:04am

There is no complete nudity in the show, at least as of the first preview. Partial? Yes.

Updated On: 3/15/08 at 10:04 AM

GetUp&LiveIt
#22re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 10:48am

re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre

A few more thoughts on Spider Woman at Signature:

I have seen several productions at Signature Theatre in the past year (I just moved from Chicago to DC) and this is by far the best thing I have seen. It's actually probably the best thing I've seen at any regional theatre. With first rate performers, an unbelievable design, great choreography and stellar direction this production is Broadway quality. I stole some pictures from Signature's myspace page so you all can see.

This was my first time seeing Will Chase and he is remarkable as Valentin. I'd heard him on the High Fidelity recording, so I was a little hesitant (only because his voice seemed to pop for this show) at first but he has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard and his Valentin is one of the richest and most nuanced portrayals of the role I have ever seen. In the past I have found this role to be far less compelling than Molina (a little one dimensional if you will), but not in the hand of Mr Chase. His Day After That stopped the show.

Hunter Foster is heartbreaking as Molina. His Mama It's Me had me in tears. He gets the comedy, keeping the show lighter where it needs to be, but is never forced or over the top. It is a beautiful performance. The chemistry between Mr Chase and Mr Foster is ELECTRIC. The love scene and penultimate scene left me breathless.

And to match these two performances is the riveting Ms. Diaz. She bursts onto the stage with such force, demanding your attention. You can see why Molina has created an entire fantasy world around this woman. Her Good Times left the audience in stitches.

As I said before (and you can see from the pictures) the design is terrific and the staging is beautiful, smart (but not too smart)- it all just seemed so effortless (I guess my mark for great direction). I'll probably see it again if I can get a ticket. I'll be thinking about it for days.

Updated On: 3/15/08 at 10:48 AM

GetUp&LiveIt
#23re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 10:50am

Couldn't figure out how to post more than 1 photo so they are in separate posts.

GetUp&LiveIt
#24re: Kiss of the Spiderwoman- First Preview at Signature Theatre
Posted: 3/15/08 at 10:51am

Updated On: 3/15/08 at 10:51 AM

Videos