pixeltracker

My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08- Page 2

My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08

snl89
#25re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:00pm

I think his hammy overacting of some things (especially the graveyard scene) ruins the moment of scenes. I used to really enjoy his performance, but have recently thought to be nothing but an overacted, phoned in performance.

It's funny, because... as much as I'm still a huge fan of his performance, when I watch the video from the off Broadway production, I DO kind of wish he had kept doing the graveyard/Those You've Known scene like he did back then. It's extremely powerful now, but it was much... softer then. Like, instead of it being huge, open sobbing, it was more quiet than that. It was more like a deep, personal grieving rather than big open sobs that can pretty easily become "over acted", you know what I mean?

I really do still love his performance, but that IS something that I will totally agree with you on- he over acts it more than he did initially. And I wouldn't so much realize that if I hadn't seen how he did it initially and went "..wow.. that's actually quite a bit MORE powerful"

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:04pm

I think Groff gives it his all each and every time. I think what some people confuse with 'auto pilot' is that he does not vary what he does. It is always the same, no suprises. (I've scene the Hayloft scene go on auto pilot with he and Lea though.)

I've seen Matt 2x as Hanschen....the first I thought he was just OK...but on Thurs night: he was AMAZING. Truly.

As far as Jesse as Melchior...I saw him 2x back in January and I thought he was amazing. I thought he made lines work that never set right before. His graveyard scene is the best. I adore Groff most of the time, but I think Jesse is my favorite Melchior. AND...it seems as if he's playing it for a week inbetween Groff's leaving and Kyle starting. And Kyle is only taking over before the tour and before Hunter Parrish starts. (The cast member that said this was about 90% sure that this was the way it would happen. And a few cast members have discussed this.) I don't adore Matt's Melchi. (Granted, I haven't seen him since OCTOBER do it.) I don't feel he let's Melchi take control. It's more like the events happen to him instead of him instigating things.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#27re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:10pm

Wow! I have never had anyone but JonGroff as Melchi, but my friend had Matt Doyle way back in I think October and she said she was absolutely incredible.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#28re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:15pm

Matt definitely is the best Melchior. For one, he's the only one able to sing 'Left Behind' effortlessly. Two, I think he has the best acting chops of the three. He never overdoes anything, and there's tons of nuances in his performance. I thought he gave a brilliant performance and was eons above Groff and Jesse.

Jesse was great too. I only saw him with Alexandra, and I felt they were the perfect pair. I had some issues with Jesse's acting, but his graveyard scene was amazing. Definitely the best out of the three.

And dramamama, I never said that Groff doesn't give his all - I think he does, but I don't think his performance is what it used to be. It's become way overacted and tired. And I still think he's on autopilot.

sleepyguy1717
#29re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:18pm

Matt Doyle is such a versatile performer. I kinda wish they'd put him in as a principal, but he's probably to valuable as a swing. Maybe when Groff leaves? (This is old news I'm sure, but when is he leaving again?)

I want to apologize for some offensive messages posted on this board under my name. The night 0f 12-15-08 I did not have internet access, and someone had used my name to post something offensive. My avatar was also changed. I dont' know what else was posted, or if anyone recieved bad PMs, but I want to apologize for that. I've changed my password, and even though I was not the one posting these messages it still needed to be corrected.

antiandrewx
#30re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:19pm

Matt is full time Hanschen now; he is no longer a swing. Though he'll still go on as Melchior this summer.

oohshizz146
#31re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:20pm

Jonathan Groff is leaving May 18th. His replacement is already chosen, and it is a new person whose name I'm blanking on. Anyone remember his name?

Updated On: 4/27/08 at 04:20 PM

snl89
#32re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:23pm

Can I just say, I really am VERY excited to hear (and maybe even see for myself- if I can get into the city over the summer!) how Kyle is! (and yeah, his name is Kyle Riabko re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08 https://youtube.com/watch?v=hsSHbqML-7I)

Because seriously, he's gorgeous, I love his voice, and just from the videos I've seen of him playing music and stuff, it gives me high hopes about him as a performer :) Granted playing music is completely different than acting, but.. he's very entertaining to watch and seems to have oodles of personality! So.. that's all good. If he has good stage presence, it's prob a pretty good indication that his acting will be strong :P

plus.. have I mentioned he's SO gorgeous and I can't wait to see his bum? *g*

(I'm STILL slightly peeved that both times I saw the show I've been on Lea's side- not that Lea has bad boobs or anything, but honestly. As a straight girl I'd rather see Groff!booty! hehe)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 4/27/08 at 04:23 PM

sleepyguy1717
#33re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:23pm

Wow, I'm so out of the loop, its said. Eeeks! I need to see this show again. But I want to hear how the new Melchior and Wendla are before I buy tickets. :)

I want to apologize for some offensive messages posted on this board under my name. The night 0f 12-15-08 I did not have internet access, and someone had used my name to post something offensive. My avatar was also changed. I dont' know what else was posted, or if anyone recieved bad PMs, but I want to apologize for that. I've changed my password, and even though I was not the one posting these messages it still needed to be corrected.

dramamama611
#34re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:24pm

I was really talking in generalities and not to any one poster. I've only been dissappointed in his performance once...and that was in March, and I DEF felt he just phoned it in. And this boy REALLY needs to learn to say no to things. Last week alone in addition to all 8 performances, he did The Leading Men Concert, DQYNJ, Easter Bonnet Rehearsal, AND the ridiculous Macy's gig. He needs to take some time and do NOTHING...which hopefully he will before Hair starts in rehearsal.

This past Thursday was one of my all time favorite performances. I was even impressed w/Lea (which I don't think I've EVER said). It was truly top notch.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

snl89
#35re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:26pm

And this boy REALLY needs to learn to say no to things. Last week alone in addition to all 8 performances, he did The Leading Men Concert, DQYNJ, Easter Bonnet Rehearsal, AND the ridiculous Macy's gig. He needs to take some time and do NOTHING...which hopefully he will before Hair starts in rehearsal.

yeahh. He's too damn NICE! haha. It is lovely for stagedooring, but.. if he doesn't start putting his foot down and saying no to people the poor thing is going to get himself entirely too worn out!

Updated On: 4/27/08 at 04:26 PM

oohshizz146
#36re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:29pm

Haha my god. He needs to slow down!!!

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#37re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:32pm

Alex Socha will be taking over for Wendla beginning this Summer. official decision as of last weekend

springstagemanager
#38re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:42pm

I am actually really upset that Jon Groff is leaving.

I saw him on the 4.26.2008 matinee as well, and his performance was anything but autopilot. I did not think he was tired out at all, and his performance of 'Totally F**ked' was definitely something other than what he normally does. I cannot imagine any other Melchior, and I think that he is absolutely amazing. His voice and acting is refined, and incredibly beautiful... He truly, truly manages to inspire more than most professional performers I have seen.

antiandrewx
#39re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:45pm

Did you join just so you could post that?

oohshizz146
#40re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:47pm

So what if they did? I totally agree with what you said, springstagemanager =) And welcome to broadwayworld!

springstagemanager
#41re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:57pm

Thanks, oohshizz...

And, no, I joined and it happened to be the first thing that caught my interest.

=)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#42re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 6:35pm

BTW- I love your enthusiasm for SPRING AWAKENING and its been a while since I saw the show. (saw it during previews) I think I really have to see it again... I am waiting for a complete cast change... I must say that Matt Doyle & Blake Blashoff look really cute! I would love to see Matt Doyle as Melchior and thanks for the review! re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08

J*
Updated On: 4/27/08 at 06:35 PM

skibumb5290 Profile Photo
skibumb5290
#43re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 6:51pm

Great review

ooshizzz146 Profile Photo
ooshizzz146
#44re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 8:25pm

I just wish Matt Doyle would return his love for me. I send him love letter after love letter and still nothing. How long is this gonna take?

dramamama611
#45re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 8:42pm

A really long time. And god, I hope you are joking.

oohshizz146
#46re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:05pm

THATS NOT ME!!!! SEE THE EXTRA Z????

oohshizz146
#47re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:08pm

And thanks, jaystarr and skibumb =)

dramamama611
#48re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:08pm

Nope: didn't see the extra ZZZZ.

You gotta be careful around here!

oohshizz146
#49re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:09pm

fricking sock puppet.

Videos