pixeltracker

Patti LuPone's "Ramblings From The Road" Latest Edition- Page 2

Patti LuPone's "Ramblings From The Road" Latest Edition

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#25re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/8/08 at 10:51am

You totally were that stage manager, weren't you, Goth?

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#26re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/8/08 at 10:56am

Aww, I was hoping for a Paul Harvey ending.

And that stage manager grew up to be.........Edmund Lyndeck. And now you know.....the rest of the story. Paul Harvey.........good day!

Gothampc
#27re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/8/08 at 11:02am

"You totally were that stage manager, weren't you, Goth?"

No, I've never worked with LuPone. But I have worked as a stage manager and I know the crap they have to put up with from actors.

It just seems that every time Patti talks about Evita, she always has something negative to say. She stayed with the show for two years and she doesn't have one good thing to say about it?

Also, while we don't know which stage manager she was referring to, when looking at the Evita credits, several of them were experienced performers before turning to stage management.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#28re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/8/08 at 11:08am

"Aww, I was hoping for a Paul Harvey ending.

And that stage manager was Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#29re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/8/08 at 11:45am

If Joan Crawford were ever Mamma Rose, she'd be Patti.

This is, of course, a compliment.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#30re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/8/08 at 11:47am

Take some Windex, Mr. Goldstone..

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#31re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 5:51am

Love the Joan Crawford comment, tulitapepsi. I was thinking the same thing...as a compliment also.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

COOOOLkid
#32re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 7:36am

Secondly, LuPone only did six shows a week for Evita. She has no place talking about what another actor will or won't do.

But that was in her contract, and she was performing one of the most vocally demanding roles in musical theatre. The performer that Patti mentioned just decided to skip scenes.

But that's not the point. She is using that fact as a contrast to praise how wonderful the cast of Gypsy really is.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#33re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 8:40am

It just seems that every time Patti talks about Evita, she always has something negative to say. She stayed with the show for two years and she doesn't have one good thing to say about it?

As always, you miss the point.

The POINT of Patti LuPone is that, despite her extraordinary God-given talent, she is incapable of holding her tongue when a negative thought pops into her head.

That Tourette's-like lack of impulse control makes her a symbol of the self-destructive tendencies we ALL have.

We only wish that in addition to those tendencies, which we work daily to curb--as does she--that God had also given US as much talent as he give her.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#34re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:27am

If this is her working to control those tendencies, I'd hate to see her when she lets them spew unfettered!

Gothampc
#35re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:35am

"The performer that Patti mentioned just decided to skip scenes."

Well we don't know the performer or stage managers sides of the story. Perhaps the performer wasn't feeling well and should have been sent home. The point is that unless it affected Patti directly, she shouldn't be making comments to the stage manager about conversations she overheard which don't affect her.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#36re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:47am

"Well we don't know the performer or stage managers sides of the story."

That's perfectly true. But not having first-hand information didn't stop you from rushing to condemn Patti's behavior.

MadameRoseRules Profile Photo
MadameRoseRules
#37re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 10:33am

I'm with BroadwayBaby2 - Patti as "Dolly" and "Mame" would be AWESOME!

"I'm going to make you A STAR!"

Gothampc
#38re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 10:41am

She's not right for Mame. LuPone would completely run over the subtle moments of the character. And there is nobody that could play Vera opposite her. LuPone would blow them right off the stage. Mame is not a part for a diva.

Updated On: 8/11/08 at 10:41 AM

Reginald Tresilian
#39re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 10:50am

I can't quite see her as Mama either (though I think she would be an amazing Dolly).

Patti often does a generic sort of grandeur when she's playing someone "high-falutin'" that just rings hollow. I'm afraid her Mame would resemble her Vera in "Pal Joey,", which didn't really work for me--happy though I was to see Patti back on stage, and I thought she sang it wonderfully.

But Dolly? Stick some feathers in her hair, plop her on a staircase, and stand back, Yonkers!!
Updated On: 8/11/08 at 10:50 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#40re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:12am

There's a quaintness about Hello, Dolly! and the leading character that she would bulldoze right over.

Even cartoon Carol Channing understood the "quaint appeal."

With Dollita Peron at the helm, braying like a donkey as she descended the stairs, it might get ugly. Or at least frosty up there.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:17am

I'm afraid her Mame would resemble her Vera, which didn't really work for me--happy though I was to see Patti back on stage, and I thought she sang it wonderfully.

- WAIT. What? When did Patti play Vera in Mame?

BEST - Mr. Herman seems to think Patti has the quaintness for the role. I would love to see Patti back in a "warm" loveable role. She's been playing too many wackos lately, lol. Updated On: 8/11/08 at 11:17 AM

Reginald Tresilian
#42re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:29am

Sorry, I got in a hurry and didn't finish my thought. It was Vera in "Pal Joey" that I was talking about.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#43re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:30am

Ooooh. I figured you meant that. Her BEWITCHED is amazing.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#44re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:51am

And there is nobody that could play Vera opposite her

Patti as Mame. Julie Walters as Vera. I'm there--anyone else?

re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road'  Latest Edition

Gothampc
#45re: Patti LuPone's 'Ramblings From The Road' Latest Edition
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:00pm

I love Julie Walters and think she is brilliant. But LuPone is too big of a presence for Julie. Julie is a superb actress, not a presence. If they cast LuPone, they would have to cast someone like Bette Midler as Vera.

eta: Let's hope for Julie Walters as Desiree in ALNM.

Updated On: 8/11/08 at 12:00 PM

Videos