LittleTvSets
#25re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:49pm

Oh!!

I'm a moron!

stupidbeans
#26re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:52pm

I have never seen a show like wicked, as far as popularity. It is a good show, I have a feeling it will last a long time

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#27re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:57pm

Really RENT wasn't global? They've had productions in all these countries;Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, The Netherlands, Ireland, United Kingdom, France, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Estonia, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Greece, Canada, United States of America, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Panama, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Russia, Israel, China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, South Africa, Australia, Guam, and New Zealand.; That seems global.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#28re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 8:58pm

"The film will be huge no doubt, judging by the fact Hairspray/Mamma Mia were incredibly successful considering they are musicals, and neither have the hardcore following or success that Wicked has.
------------------------------------
Yeah but RENT did have those fans. Guess what happened? BOMB, it is all about how it's done & with who. Without knowing either you can't say that the movie will be good. "

There may not even be a Wicked movie! There are many shows which had a large (and more global) fanbase that haven't received movies yet and have been waiting in line for years, ie: Jekyll & HYDE (initial movie plans, 2002), and let's not forget Les Miserables (1992), neither which have had hardly any progress done on them, and for the most part are widely recognized (especially the latter) on a global scale, with long runs around the world.

Also, I think Wicked will be open atleast 10 years! Not particularly a fan, but when there's a huge crowd of non-theatre goers who still haven't seen it and want to on the B'way stage, it will remain open.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#29re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/4/08 at 10:49pm

I was talking to a friend about how Wicked brings back the whole international mega musical theme. It is playing worldwide with more productions to follow. It will grow and get bigger and bigger.

I don't know if Wicked will be the longest running show on Broadway. But, I think that towards the end of its run it is going to be up there.

I think that if you were to say that what Phantom is doing at the box office is not amazing then that would be a stupid thing to say.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

fanadu1996
#30re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 12:36am

i would bet everything i own that WICKED will surpass Phantom as the longest running show on broadway.
i say this with 100% confidence.

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#31re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 2:04am

If Wicked becomes a movie, please let it be based on the book and not that horrid musical.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#32re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 5:13am

If Wicked becomes a movie, please let it be based on the book and not that horrid musical.

I love when people whine about this. Of COURSE it will be of the musical, they would have to be complete morons not to. It's the musical that has become a phenomenon, not the book. Sure, somewhere down the line somebody may want to focus on the book, but for now there is absolutely no chance of that.

There may not even be a Wicked movie!

This is true, there MAY not be...but again, they would be stupid not to. They've said that they are in early stages of planning it, granted that doesn't always mean it will follow through...but I doubt they would just let the opportunity slide.

Again, I will say; Rent and Wicked can't really be compared in terms of success or hype.

Rent saw both of those at the beginning of its run, and now we're seeing it at the end, it did indeed open productions all over the world but none of which reached the level of success Wicked enjoys with its productions. I'm not belittling the show at all, it's done incredibly well..but Wicked has set a different standard. It's like a massive corporation now, branching off productions which in turn take in millions of dollars.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#33re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 6:22am

every show will close.

You've never heard of 'The Mousetrap', have you?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#34re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 10:07am

Wicked will die out within the next 5 years. It will not stay open that long. Wicked is not nearly as good as you think it is.

Maybe, but Phantom still has a full audience every show. Sold out, no, but still full. This is after, what is it, 20 years? That is something Wicked will NEVER do. I may like Wicked, but I know its limitations.

Wicked couldn't last 20 years!!

Not even close!

Hilarious! Five years later and Wicked is still the highest grossing show on Broadway. That's 25% of the way there. I remember back when people were saying these things about Phantom (mostly because they were pissed that Into the Woods didn't win Best Musical). I'm not a huge fan of Phantom, but I knew that it was an immediate sensation that would eventually become the longest-running Broadway musical.

Whether you like the show or not, to pretend Wicked can't possibly run as long as Phantom is deluded. Wicked is the new Phantom. Just as Phantom was the new Les Miz and Lis Miz was the new Cats and Cats was the new Chorus Line. Every blockbuster show is eventually replaced by a new blockbuster. Every record-breaking run is eventually broken. Wicked is more than capable of taking the top slot one day.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Fosse76
#35re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 10:45am

"There is no doubt that Wicked will last that long. However, it will never surpass Phantom. Phantom still nearly sells out nightly, and will not be going anywhere soon."

Some of you people need to get a job at the Majestic, where you find this statement absolutely false. Phantom often plays to half-empty houses...but does pretty well on the weekends and in the summer.

newyorkrbust
#36re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 1:43pm

Wicked is good, but I don't think its worth all the hype it gets. I doubt it will surpass Phantom.

It really said US Navy, but hey, I worked with what they gave me ok.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#37re: If RENT is capable of closing?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 1:47pm

so, in conclusion, the answer to the ORIGINAL question is: hell yes!

Videos