pixeltracker

Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC- Page 2

Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC

BroadwayAbridged Profile Photo
BroadwayAbridged
#25re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 11:20am

"They're both washed up... going back to RENT is a quick and easy job for them. While it challenges neither of them artistically, they know they always have it. So they take the cash."

Keep in mind that this is probably the last time they can do it for the money, though. While Topol can arguably play his role for years and years, the two of them don't really have that opportunity, so I can understand taking the money while they still have it.

Rapp, by the way, still shows up in the occasional NYC musical. Haven't seen Pascal around since... Aida? Cabaret?

- Gil http://www.broadwayabridged.com

broadwayguy2
#26re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 11:57am

"While Topol can arguably play his role for years and years, the two of them don't really have that opportunity, so I can understand taking the money while they still have it."

Not true in the slightest! Off the top of my head - Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan, Jennifer Holiday in Dreamgirls and Carol Channing in Hello Dolly.

Age is wholely secondary. :-P

For full disclosure, I have never, still do not, and will never understand the appeal of Adam Pascal.

p.s.
#27re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/12/09 at 12:26pm

So I went to see Topol at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center last night. What can I say...

Actually, I went to see Fiddler. I was concerned about Topol because people have been describing him as too old. But he acted and sounded great -- active, energenic, expressive, melodic. The production was Broadway caliber, much much better than most of these touring or regional musicals. (I mentioned to the sound guy afterward that they couldn't have been that good for the previous night's Opening. He acknowledged that all of it was stronger after the first night's (post-travel) performance.

Other notable performances (to me) were by Susan Cella (Golde) and Rena Strober (Tzeitel). But especially Jamie Davis as Hodel, who has the best voice in Matchmaker, Matchmaker, is featured in Now I Have Everything and later sings Far From The Home I Love. [The program's Who's Who provided very little traceable information about her background.]

p.s. Chaim Topol is certainly not too old to play Tevya. Was Harvey Fierstein too gay?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#28re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/12/09 at 12:46pm

This is the same production that toured with Topol just a few years ago. He owns the sets and all the physical production. Sue Cella was also the Golde in that tour. It is a serviceable production. But definitely worth seeing.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#29re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/12/09 at 1:26pm

And for some reason, this particular production has a very high Hot Chorus Boy quotient.

I'm just sayin'...

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#30re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/12/09 at 1:44pm

PJ, darling, are you implying that they're all Bottomols?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#31re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/12/09 at 2:07pm

I had to read that twice to get it.

I guess I'm not at the topol of my game today.

hotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
#32re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/12/09 at 3:23pm

I saw him last year in "Gigi" in London - couldn't decide if he was half asleep, drunk or just indifferent - he seemed to be 'phoning his performance in.

Many years ago he sat right in front of me at Caryl Churchill's "Serious Money". The show obviously offended many people as they left the theatre in droves - after the interval I was just about the only person left in my row and Topol was one of the few left in his row!

ShiksaGoddess2 Profile Photo
ShiksaGoddess2
#33re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/12/09 at 4:13pm

I'm going tonight, and one of my concerns is that Topol is probably too old. Glad to know that he still sounds great.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#34re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/12/09 at 6:00pm

Are there any code or discount things for NJPAC, I've been lookin' all over for one.
Thanks.

nycdncr Profile Photo
nycdncr
#35re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/13/09 at 1:43am

Dame...the tour of Fiddler at NJPAC this week isn't the same production that was out a few years ago. Topol does not own this set....it's actually a brand new set built specifically for this tour. The tour you're speaking of that also starred Sue Cella actually starred Theodore Bikel as Tevye. Topol hasn't toured the US with this show since 1990-91, I believe. Sorry to contradict, but I'm in the current tour cast, so I have a bit of inside info. re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Q
#36re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/13/09 at 1:53am

And Bikel has played the role more than anyone else.

But it's still Mostel's. On stage, at least.

Topol's legacy is the movie - which is great.

danceallnight Profile Photo
danceallnight
#37re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/16/09 at 8:56am

Thoroughly enjoyed the production on Sunday. Great to see Topol in the role and I thought he was more than up to it. I have a question. During the bottle dance, are those bottles attached or not to the dancer's hats? A bottle fell from a dancer's head and another dancer rushed in to replace him for the remaining part of the dance. Was that intended or was that how they handle it when there is a mistake like that? Just curious.
Updated On: 3/16/09 at 08:56 AM

nycdncr Profile Photo
nycdncr
#38re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/16/09 at 10:43am

they're not attached. the bottles are balanced in our hats with no tape, velcro, or any adhesive substance whatsoever. what you saw was the first real drop of a bottle since we opened. which means you saw the show saturday, not sunday....as it was my bottle that fell. re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."
Updated On: 3/16/09 at 10:43 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#39re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/16/09 at 10:44am

Was punishment meted out backstage?

danceallnight Profile Photo
danceallnight
#40re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 3/16/09 at 12:15pm

Oops! You are right, nycdncr! I was at the Saturday matinee! Well, I'm sorry that happened to you but, honestly, most of the people around me were saying they thought it was planned because of how someone rushed in to replace you. They felt it looked like part of the show. No matter, the show goes on and I thought all the dancers were wonderful. Does it give you guys alot of anxiety before you do that dance each time? I thought the wedding dance and the earlier one with the Russians were both wonderful- lots of energy and I loved the choreography.

Please relate to the cast how much we enjoyed the production. Besides enjoying Topol, I loved Mary Stout's performance (didn't think she got nearly enough recognition at the curtain call), and Jamie Davis' singing. Also, I enjoyed Erik Liberman and Bill Nolte. I felt Fruma-Sarah could have been a bit more menacing but I loved how the dream sequence was just like a Chagall painting (in the actor's movements, colors, timing, etc). I'm not sure I ever saw a production in which I felt that, even if that was the original intent, so I enjoyed that part alot. Susan Cella and Rena Strober were also good. I agree with a previous poster that the caliber of this production seemed much better and tighter than most touring shows that I've seen. I don't see how it's any different in caliber than most Broadway productions.

I felt the audience was very receptive and very drawn into the show. I think that is a huge accomplishment for a show that is so familiar to so many for such a long period of time. BTW, nycdncr, check your PM. Please relate my best wishes to the cast and good luck with the rest of the run! Updated On: 3/16/09 at 12:15 PM

Videos