Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC

danceallnight Profile Photo
danceallnight
#1Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 10:16am

Anybody else planning to go? I am so delighted he can still perform this role at his age. Does anyone know how good or bad the Grand Tier Box Seats are at the NJ Performing Arts Center? I've never been there. Not much choice left on the days I can go. Thanks.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 11:45am

Where can I find a complete cast list for this show?
I googled and searched but can't seem to find one.

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#2re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 11:48am

I have been to NJPAC before but I can't speak for how the seats were on the Grand Tier. I was in the orchestra, but on their website they have a virtual tour option and you can see what the view is like from each section.

http://www.njpac.org/load_screen.asp?screen=virtual_tour

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#3re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 12:13pm

Cast announcement:

Playbill News

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#4re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 12:28pm

Thanks Tag.

PiraguaGuy2
#5re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 12:50pm

Someday he'll play another role...

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 2:15pm

He's in his 70's! A bit long in the tooth, don't you think?

And I'm not saying he couldn't be wonderful....just seems unlikely.

Looking forward to hearing reviews, though.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Yankeefan007
#7re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 2:21pm

He doesn't need to play another role. Yul Brenner played the King of Siam until he died, right? Of course right.

danceallnight Profile Photo
danceallnight
#8re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/28/09 at 10:09pm

That was funny, YankeeFan and thanks for the link, Playhouse Beauty. He's an icon in this role and I want to see it even if he is past his prime.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#9re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/29/09 at 8:13am

I saw Topol in FIDDLER ON THE ROOF in 1990 or so and he was excellent. I also saw Yul Brynner in THE KING AND I during his final tour of the show and he was also excellent. I think Topol can pull it off--he knows the part backward and forward and he is a trouper, like Brynner.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#10re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/29/09 at 4:00pm

I will be seeing the production for my birthday on March 13...6th row center and am very excited! It's one of my all-time favorite films.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#11re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/29/09 at 4:05pm

I have never purchased a ticket or a Nat. Tour at NJPAC and can't seem to find the answer easily, are there any discounted ticket prices (i.e. codes). Thanks

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#12re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/29/09 at 6:11pm

I recognized a few names on the cast list (some folks I worked for/with over the summer); I'd love to see them in this production.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

jejr
#13re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:16am

When I saw him in a touring production back in the '90s, he was not very good. He walked through the part without any emotion. It was very disappointing. I would not go to see him now after that experience.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#14re: Topol in Fiddler at NJPAC
Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:32am

NJPAC is a beautiful faciity, and the Grand Tier Box Seats should be very good. NJPAC is built similar to Carnegie Hall, but it may be even steeper. I think they have four tiers (maybe more), and anyone with height issues should go above the first tier.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Laughor CrySMILE
#15re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/15/09 at 11:02pm

So I went to see Topol @ the Providence Preforming Arts Center yesterday. What can I say...the minute he walked on stage the whole place broke into applause!! It was amazing to see him Live and in person. I laughed and cried at the final curtain call because I have loved him in this role forever and because I truely think that the stage is losing an amazing person!! and we are going to be lost without him. and I saw him in his opening week!!!!!! God Bless Topol with health and a wonderful retirment!! we love you!!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#16re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:43am

When my dad and I were talking about where to sit for the Rent tour at NJPAC, I told him, jokingly, that we could see Topol in Fiddler there instead of Rent. He broke into laughter right away. His response to me was that he thought he had died ages ago. He also found it funny when I told him that I read somewhere (somewhere being here, on this forum) that he owns the sets to the show. He said that that reminded him of a typical schoolyard situation. You have the big kids who don't want to play with the little kid, but the little kid has the ball that they need, so in order to use the ball they are forced to have the little kid play with them.

My dad said that he saw him 30 years ago and he remembered him phoning it in then.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#17re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 1:46am

"His response to me was that he thought he had died ages ago. He also found it funny when I told him that I read somewhere (somewhere being here, on this forum) that he owns the sets to the show. He said that that reminded him of a typical schoolyard situation."

When your Dad can do what Topol has done (or even Ted Neely in that regard), then maybe he won't be a complete jerk.

But until then... wow.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#18re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 2:11am

"Someday he'll play another role..."

He played Honore in Gigi last year in London.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#19re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 2:16am

Don't get your nickers in a twist Charlie Poo, he was joking. He didn't actually mean it.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

TheCharleston
#20re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 2:50am

knickers.

not nickers. unless you're referring to the "sounds of a horse"

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#21re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 6:08am

I also saw Topol do this in the 90s, and it was a complete bore. If it hadn't been for Marcia Lewis, I would have rooted for Tsar.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#22re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:28am

Does seem to be the season for too-old-for-the-role leads clinging to their signature roles at NJPAC: Rapp & Pascal in Rent, Topol in Fiddler, Neeley in JCS.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#23re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 10:44am

madbrian, I was having the same conversation with my father on the drive home from NJPAC on Friday night. We were wondering if Pascal and Rapp are doing the roles of Roger and Mark for sentimental reasons, or is it just for the fact that they can't get any other job.

TheCharleston
#24re: Topol in Fiddler at PPAC
Posted: 2/16/09 at 11:00am

the second one.

there is no sentimental reasons behind it, considering the amount of money they negotiated.

They're both washed up... going back to RENT is a quick and easy job for them. While it challenges neither of them artistically, they know they always have it. So they take the cash.

Lame.

Videos