New "Ave Q" tour

TMedeiros17 Profile Photo
TMedeiros17
#25re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 6/27/09 at 7:26pm

Avenue Q is coming to New Orleans's Mahalia Jackson theatre in June

Non-Equity is just a scaled down version of the show right?

Shows: Wicked 9.20.08; Wicked 3.14.09; Wicked 4.11.09; Cats 10.27.09; Legally Blonde 11.25.09; Chicago 11.27.09; Wicked 11.27.09; The Color Purple 12.1.09; Wicked 3.25.10; Wicked 3.26.10; Wicked 3.27.10; Wicked 3.28.10; Wicked 4.2.10; Wicked 4.3.10 (Evening and Matinee); Wicked 4.9.10; Wicked 4.10.10; Wicked 4.11.10; The Color Purple 4.24.10;

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#26re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 6/27/09 at 7:28pm

I believe they are using the same set & puppets as the Equity tour.

AndAllThatJazz22
#27re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 6/27/09 at 7:37pm

Non-Equity tours are usually scaled down, but Avenue Q will be using the exact same sets an puppets as the equity tour.

Actors Equity is the stage actors union that is supposed to be 'the best of the bunch'. All Broadway shows and Equity tours have equity actors only. If a tour is non-eq, it means that they are choosing actors who are NOT in the equity union. That doesn't mean that they are not talented, but equity tours are supposed to be better. Believe me, I've seen several non-equity tours that could have passed for a Broadway production, so I don't believe in skipping a show because it's non-eq.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

jejr
#28re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 6/27/09 at 11:25pm

I have a ticket for it when it hits Buffalo in October. It's one of my favorite show, saw the tour 5 times and Broadway once.
Just because it's an Equity show doesn't mean it will have a great cast. When I saw WICKED the whole cast was not very good. The best part of the show was the sets.
Updated On: 7/10/09 at 11:25 PM

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#29re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 6/28/09 at 12:08am

Any word on a website for the tour?

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#30re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 6/28/09 at 12:12am

Here is the production company's website.

http://www.worklightproductions.com/

AndAllThatJazz22
#31re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 6/28/09 at 6:45pm

^ DG07, I bursted out laughing when I saw that website. It's amazing that they're combining children's theatre with AVenue Q. Wow

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

AndAllThatJazz22
#32re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:27pm

Bump.

This is a Bump to remind all of you of the life Avenue Q will have after its closing night.

musicandtemiror
#33re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 7/1/09 at 12:18am

It will be in Philly next year as well

AndAllThatJazz22
#34re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 7/1/09 at 9:05am

I feel lucky to have this Tour coming to my town! It's going to Big City after Big City, and then my small city. Yay! :)

Jenn1232
#35re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/7/09 at 9:55am

In general I have no problem with non-eq tours. They can be great or terrible just as equity can be. But I found out who some of the cast are .. sadly they are mostly very young performers who have only done children's theatre...for this same production company! What a waste of a great show.

Also, heard that the Christmas Eve understudy is a WHITE GIRL. WHAT?! Now *that's* definitely not OK and is SO racist!

AlfieByrne
#36re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/7/09 at 10:06am

I think the Equity tour had a Christmas Eve understudy who was white, too.

I don't find anything wrong with casting actors who have done children's theatre, however. Better fit than Shakespearean actors, no?

AndAllThatJazz22
#37re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/7/09 at 1:12pm

"In general I have no problem with non-eq tours. They can be great or terrible just as equity can be. But I found out who some of the cast are .. sadly they are mostly very young performers who have only done children's theatre...for this same production company! What a waste of a great show."
With all due respect, neither you nor I have seen one of these cast members performing anything. It's not fair to judge a group of actors by their age and resume. For all you know, they knocked that children's theatre out of the park and they're going to give killer performances in Avenue Q. You have to start out somewhere. Talent is needed to have a successful career in acting, but so is luck. Some of these actors may not have ha their lucky moment yet and they could prove themselves as wonderful actors and get their big break after this tour is done with. You're right...the cast could be horrible, but they could also be excellent.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#38re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/7/09 at 6:33pm

Some Ave. Q productions have an Asian AND white cover for Christmas Eve.

Aymee Garcia (currently in Shrek) covered Eve on Broadway.

I don't see what is racist about it considering that Christmas Eve is an asian STEREOTYPE.

Did you learn NOTHING from Ave. Q? Everyone's a little bit racist.

-----------
Also, the puppet cast is using old costumes. Juliana Lee is using Christy Carlson Romano's costume when she goes on for Kate.
Updated On: 9/7/09 at 06:33 PM

Jenn1232
#39re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/10/09 at 3:32pm

You guys are complaining that Gary Coleman is being played by a man.. the way they did it in London and which makes sense since Gary Coleman is a MALE.... but you think I'm wrong to be a little unhappy that Christmas Eve is covered by a caucasian?! How would you feel if Gary Coleman's cover was a white guy? It's the same thing!

I'm not saying it's a tragedy.. but it's certainly disappointing. I don't want to see a white girl in 'yellow face' any more than you'd want to see a white guy in 'black face'. It's inappropriate and unnecessary.

1. Aymee Garcia did NOT actually cover Xmas Eve... she was covering the other ensemble roles and had to go last minute ONCE when they were short their role and cover because of illness. And she has publicly stated that she was very uncomfortable with the whole thing.

2. That's why the union has rules about not casting outside the intended race unless absolutely necessary. Remember the Jonathan Price problem in Miss Saigon? Why give a role that could go to a performer of that racial minority to a white performer if you don't have to?

Yeah everyone's a little bit racist.. way to quote the show. Original.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#40re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/10/09 at 3:54pm

Aymee Garcia may have only gone on once, but she was certainly listed in the Playbill for the vast majority of her run as a Christmas Eve understudy, so that's a period of roughly three years. I always wondered what she would be like in the role.

I'm not surprised the tour features performers with an average age of 25 and very limited professional theatrical experience. That pretty much is the definition of a non-Equity tour. Quality can vary with both Equity and non, but there seems to be wider variation with the non in my experience. For this reason, I usually stay away from non-Eq tours unless I really like the show.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

Jenna Maroney Profile Photo
Jenna Maroney
#41re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/10/09 at 4:24pm

I'm not surprised the tour features performers with an average age of 25 and very limited professional theatrical experience. That pretty much is the definition of a non-Equity tour.

The JCS tour with Ted Neeley comes to mind. While it's jarring enough to have a 66-year-old Jesus, having him surrounded by recent college grads trying to earn their cards made him look even more like Papa Smurf.

At least the Q tour cast seems to be close in age to the characters they're portraying.

TheatreFan4
#42re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/10/09 at 4:29pm

Ted Neeley is Equity right? He was in the OBC of the HAiR.

Jenna Maroney Profile Photo
Jenna Maroney
TheatreFan4
#44re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/10/09 at 4:45pm

Equity seems like real dicks. Just because the cast is non-equity doesn't automatically mean the the quality is in the toilet.

johnnhoj
#45re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/10/09 at 9:45pm

i heard it took 5 weeks or something to cast this tour and my friend who went said they saw hundreds of people at the open calls, not to mention the agent submissions...

i would think after that intense of an audition process, they probably found exactly what they wanted and the cast is awesome. i have actually seen one of the cast members in a show before and they were amazing! if they are around his level, then I have no doubt this tour will be awesome. i can't wait until it comes to my hometown!

TheatreFan4
#46re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/10/09 at 9:51pm

Ashley Buckman was working at the Time Square Olive Garden before she was cast FYI.

TheatreFan4
#47re: New 'Ave Q' tour
Posted: 9/11/09 at 11:35pm

The Bway cast, creatives, & Bway producers have all been hanging at their rehearsals the past few days.

Videos