Pippin Tour?

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#475Pippin Tour?
Posted: 6/25/15 at 11:22pm

Saw the tour tonight in Baltimore. I surprisingly liked it even more than the 3 times I saw it on Broadway! It is much tighter, and seems to flow soooo much better.

Sasha Allen is unreal as Leading Player. While her acting isn't her strong suit, she makes up for it with her voice. I would've killed to see her on Broadway.

Sam Lipps was a really great Pippin. However, during Morning Glow, I think he started the song up an octave, and the whole song sounded really bad. But then he didn't sing a single high note in the entire second act! Either getting sick, or needs some vocal work.

Sabrina Harper killed me. She actually made me like Fastrada. Same with John Rubenstein - he is incredible!!!

Kristine Reese was just as incredible as the Catherine from Bway (name escapes me, love them both!)

Didn't care for Adrienne Barber as Berthe. She was a little too aloof for me.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#476Pippin Tour?
Posted: 6/26/15 at 12:21am

It's too bad that Lisa Karlin didn't get a longer stint. She really was a near perfect Leading Player. I would be interested to see Sasha live though. I agree that Sabrina is brilliant. I actually got the pleasure of seeing 3 different Fastratas! I saw Charlotte in NYC, I saw Sabrina twice on the tour, and my last time seeing the tour Adrienne was out, and for some weird reason Sabrina covers Berthe, so I saw her as Berthe and the fabulous Bradley Benjamin as Fastrata. All wonderful. Bradley didn't dance the role as flawlessly as the others, but she had a strong voice and REALLY sold the character with her fabulous line readings. Overall, this has got to be one of the strongest productions to tour for awhile and it will be a shame if it does end in February. 

On a related note, why does Sabrina cover Berthe? I know that she covered it in NYC, but she's playing Fastrata full time now, so it doesn't make sense to me that she would go on for a smaller role. I know that Berthe bows after Fastrata, but does that mean Berthe is higher billing? Any insight would be wonderful.

Sabrina's Berthe was interesting. She played it with a German/Russian accent (I couldn't quite figure it out), which seemed pointless, but she sold it, so I guess it doesn't bother me that much. 

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#477Pippin Tour?
Posted: 6/26/15 at 12:45am

I think Harper covers Berthe simply because she knows the track. The intricacies that go into performing that role correctly and safely are ones that are learned through a lot of practice and training. It may be for cost cutting measures that they chose to not train someone new for the cover or there may not have been enough time to get another cover prepared.

I never saw Sabrina's Berthe, but Adrienne Barber didn't thrill me. Seeing Andrea Martin do Berthe so flawlessly spoiled me.

I want to see more of Sabrina Harper. She did long runs of Chicago in either Germany or Austria, so her joining that cast would be an obvious choice, but I think the fact that she's a complete package would make her an asset to any show.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#478Pippin Tour?
Posted: 6/26/15 at 1:11am

That makes and doesn't make sense to me at the same time. I find it very fascinating that Sabrina (at some point), has gone on as every principle female role. She is currently also covering the Leading Player, and I would be very interested to see her take.

I agree about her doing Chicago. Fran and Berry also produced Pippin, so it would be wonderful if they tapped her to do it in NYC. She has comedic and dramatic chops, a great voice, not to mention she's one hell of a dancer. I could easily picture her playing Roxie or Velma.

Just realized I've seen three Berthe's as well! Andrea, Adrienne, and Sabrina. Andrea is pretty much the definitive Berthe, at least for this production, but I didn't dislike the other two.

trpguyy
#479Pippin Tour?
Posted: 6/26/15 at 10:56am

Both Sabrina and Lisa understudy the role of Berthe (at least according to my program), so if Lisa was on as LP that leaves no other choice but to put Sabrina in the role.

Not only has Sabrina performed every principal role, she's performed every single female track in the show (4 principal and 7 ensemble, and probably a few male ensemble tracks as well), which must be some kind of record. I'd LOVE to see her in Chicago! 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#480Pippin Tour?
Posted: 6/26/15 at 11:01am

I would hope that we Harper's done with Pippin that she moves on to something else quickly. And I'd love to see her in Chicago. I think she's more a Roxie type than Velma, but I'd like to see anyone else as Velma than Amra Faye-Wright.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#481Pippin Tour?
Posted: 6/26/15 at 1:31pm

I wonder if Adrienne is better than Lucie was. Maybe it was just the audience that night, but Lucie left me underwhelmed.

Andrea was spectacular.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#482Pippin Tour?
Posted: 6/26/15 at 1:39pm

In Louisville, audience reaction to Barbeau was very positive. No mid show standing ovation, but very enthusiastic.

I too hope that Sabrina moves on to something quickly. I'd almost rather see Sabrina miscast as Velma than see Arma. Plus Sabrina would be one of the few replacements that could dance Velma's track with out it being dumbed down. Since they usually stunt cast Roxie, I think Sabrina would be good as Velma. 

jayclay
#483Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 12:47pm

I thought I remembered reading that John Rubinstein would leave the tour in July, but I can't find that source now. Does anyone know how long he will be with the tour? Thanks

A1st
#484Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 1:23pm

Sam Lipps was a really great Pippin. However, during Morning Glow, I think he started the song up an octave, and the whole song sounded really bad. But then he didn't sing a single high note in the entire second act! Either getting sick, or needs some vocal work.

Interesting that you say that about Sam Lipps. I saw him on broadway last November when he went on for Josh Kaufman and I thought he was really good, but I do agree with you that during Morning Glow his voice just didn't hold up.  A shame, because I thought he was great for the whole show leading up to and following that song

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#485Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 8:53pm

I saw the tour earlier this week. The cast is still very Strong. Sam seemed like a weak link vocally for me. Many notes were lowered and he struggled vocally. Adrienne made a good Bertha, but i wasn't crazy about her. Loved Lucie much better. Sasha was vocally on fire and her riffs were amazing. It was great to see Erik back as Lewis- though i Love Callan too! Erik somehow knew who i was by name, even though we have only met for literally a few seconds before that night. It was raining on and off @ The Starlight Theater, and jokes were made throughout the show about it. Also, some of the tricks were modified- but none the less thrilling. I still did not care for Kristine 's 'Kind of Woman'- The last long note was hard on my ears as it was last year when i saw the show in St. Louis

Darreyl with an L!

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#486Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 9:03pm

Does someone still do the Rolla Bolla specialty?  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#487Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 9:07pm

I am assuming no, they are probably doing the trick which i can't seem to remember the name of atm but an acrobat stand on top of another acrobats head both blindfolded.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#488Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 9:12pm

The rolla bolla was indeed performed in Baltimore, and it was done by Dmitrious Bistrevsky, per the Playbill I was given!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#489Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:16am

^ This is correct. It is very much still present in the show. On a side note, Dmitrious Bistrevsky was extremely sweet when I met him in Louisville. On my third time he recognized me and said hello after the show. 

tourboi
#490Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/6/15 at 9:50am

Is the tour wrapping up this fall? It's not on any seasons. Doesn't look like a non-equity house has picked it up for a second national either. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#491Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/6/15 at 12:08pm

after its stop in San Diego, the tour will be playing in Japan for three weeks before resuming in Portland on Sept. 22. The tour will conclude on Feb. 28 in Philadelphia. Here's the rest of Pippin's schedule after Japan.

Portland, OR: 9/22 - 9/29

Dayton, OH: 10/6 - 10/11
Cincinnati, OH: 10/13 - 10/19
Houston, TX: 10/20 - 10/25
Grand Rapids, MI: 11/3 - 11/8
Fayetteville, AR: 11/10 - 11/15
Memphis, TN: 11/17 - 11/22
Sacramento, CA: 12/29 - 1/3/2016
San Jose, CA: 1/5 - 1/10
Palm Desert, CA: 1/12 - 1/17
Sioux Falls, SD: 1/20 - 1/23
Buffalo, NY: 1/26 - 1/31
Boston, MA: 2/3 - 2/14
Providence, RI: 2/16 - 2/21
Philadelphia: 2/23 - 2/28

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#492Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/7/15 at 1:07am

"I am assuming no, they are probably doing the trick which i can't seem to remember the name of atm but an acrobat stand on top of another acrobats head both blindfolded."

This is what was done last week instead of the Rolla Bolla

Darreyl with an L!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#493Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/7/15 at 7:19pm

I am here at the Dallas Music Hall waiting for the start of the show.  Tonight, Lisa Karlin will be assuming the role of Leading Player.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 7/7/15 at 07:19 PM

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#494Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/7/15 at 8:01pm

assuming for the rest of the run? or just understudying tonight?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#495Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/7/15 at 8:16pm

I think she is Leading Player just for tonite.  I will try to ask at the s/d.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#496Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/8/15 at 8:26am

Pippin Tour?Pippin Tour?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#497Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/8/15 at 8:52am

I had a great time at Pippin last evening.  The show is amazing.  The house wasn't sold out, probably because it was a Tuesday.  I had a seat five rows from the stage.  Lisa Karllin was Leading Player was amazing.  She danced and sang like noboby's business.  It was strange, but it took me a little bit to try to focus on this performance instead of trying to remember the last time I saw Pippin (in June 2013).  Anyway, I digress.  I loved Sabrina Harper as Fastrada.  She certainly has it all:  grace in dancing...phenomeal singing and those comedic bits here and there.  I didn't see  her as a villain...."just misunderstood."  Adrienne Barbeau:   She had a lovely voice and was certainly a crowd favorite.  It was a bit frightful to see her doing that special trapeze act with (correct me if I am mistaken) Preston Jamieson.  Mr. Jamieson and  his wife do a special routine using blindfolds.  Erik Altemus was a fine Lewis.  He dances a storm that's for sure.  John Rubenstein was in good voice as Charles.  "Denied".  Sam Lips is a very capable Pippin.  Where does he get the energy to do all that movement, dancing and singing?  He does have a charming appearance about him, lithe and toned.  His voice was very good.  I didn't notice any vocal problems as some have commented on in previous posts.  He was measured and soaring when the scene called for it.  Kristine Reese was lovely as Catherine:  sweet and funny.  At the stage door, I managed to take a picture with the amazing Sabrina Harper.  I even spoke a little bit of German to her when I saw her.  There was a small group at the stage door.  Sam Lips proved to be popular with the ladies.  I don't know how he managed carrying a bulky backpack.  Erik Altemus was nice too.  Lisa Karlin and Adrienne Barbeau had left by that time.  All in all, I really loved the show...the ensemble and the leads.  If you get an opportunity to see  Lisa Karlin as Leading Player, you're in for a treat.  

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#498Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/19/15 at 9:48pm

For those wonder.... It looks like the tour will get some new cast members for the new block of the tour! 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/equity-audition/PIPPIN-National-Tour-2015-11232

Patti LuPone FANatic
#499Pippin Tour?
Posted: 7/19/15 at 9:59pm

Does this mean that the producers are looking to replace the major leads?  Since we're talking about the Weisslers, I don't think they'd want to spend $$$ to train new people for leading roles.  

Updated On: 7/19/15 at 09:59 PM

Videos