pixeltracker

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL- Page 20

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#475THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/9/15 at 10:20pm

The original, currently licensed version and I believe all versions end with the scene where The Wiz orders them to kill Evillene. It's a very short scene after "What Would I Do If I Could Feel."

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#476THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/9/15 at 11:49pm

shut up liza nobody likes you

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

musicaltheatreman2
#477THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 12:20am

Thanks for answering about the closing number!

Other than the song " A rested body is rested Mind" what other songs are in the show that were not included on the original cast recording? 

So on wikapieda the only other two songs that I see are 

"Wonder Wonder Why" sung by Dorthy and it was only in the 1984 revial . The other song is "Who do you think you are" sung by dorthy, scacrow, tin man, and lion.  Is there a recording of these 2 songs anywhere? For the pople who have heard these 2 songs what do you think about them and do think they will be included in the live tv production? 

Updated On: 8/10/15 at 12:20 AM

DigificWriter
#478THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 1:27am

""I'm starting to think it's not worth arguing with musicaljen, Danster, and the other "children in the room", no matter how many ridiculous things they post."

^ THIS! Their blatant ignorance knows no bounds...
They need some sense slapped into them.

"

It's best, IMO, to just pretend they and their posts don't exist and not bother responding to them. Arguing with them is just going to bring us down to their level.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#479THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 1:29am

I love "A Rested Body." I hate that it's not included on the OBC. "Who Do You Think You Are?" I could live without. I don't think either of them have been recorded in English but there are videos on YouTube from regional productions. Here is one from the Encores production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJIKnvlYClQ 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#480THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 2:10am

I didn't remember "Who Do You Think You Are" from when I first saw The Wiz (LA - with Ren Woods as Dorothy) - even when I much much later saw it in a production my daughter was in.  I wondered where the song came from!  It's not a bad song - it just does nothing for the story - which is likely why I forgot it from my first viewing.  

CATSNYrevival
#481THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 2:29am

"A Rested Body" doesn't really forward the plot either but it's a nice introductory song for Glinda as she makes her entrance and it gives the actress more to sing. 

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#482THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 7:31am

As I remember, the three major omissions on the OBCR were "Who Do You Think You Are?", "A Rested Body," and "Pssst: The Emerald City Ballet."

Psst - Emerald City Ballet (amateur version):

Who Do You Think You Are? (original cast):

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Showface
#483THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 9:56am

Updated On: 8/10/15 at 09:56 AM

CATSNYrevival
#484THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 1:27pm

I still wish they would have recorded a proper cast album with the original cast. The album is great in its own way and I listen because of the voices and performances but every time I listen I'm consciously aware of all the material they left out and the six or seven songs that fade out on disc that actually had buttons when they were performed on stage. It's a bit of an incomplete listening experience.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#485THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 1:34pm

"I still wish they would have recorded a proper cast album with the original cast. The album is great in its own way and I listen because of the voices and performances but every time I listen I'm consciously aware of all the material they left out and the six or seven songs that fade out on disc that actually had buttons when they were performed on stage. It's a bit of an incomplete listening experience."

I think that when they recorded it they were going for a more pop/radio friendly recording as opposed to a traditional broadway cast album, that's why alot of those songs were given fade outs.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#486THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 2:35pm

God I love the "Emerald City Ballet" so much, why is there not a legitimate hifi recording of it??

That video has very good sound though!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Liza's Headband
#487THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 4:39pm

It sounds great but you can't even hear the background vocals, assuming the company in this video included them, which really rounds out the sound nicely and is kind of like the cherry on top for this musical moment. Either way... good stuff. Thanks for sharing. 

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#488THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 4:40pm

I saw the national tour (twice) with the original costumes, staging, etc., and I loved the Emerald City Ballet. It was part dance, part "fashion show" (with wonderful costumes) looking a lot like the opening moments of La Cage, with a parade of divas in gowns and robes.

The "Pssst" part of the ballet (as I recall) was like a gossip chain as the citizens of the city stared and glared at Dorothy and her friends, whispering about them as they danced around.

CATSNYrevival
#489THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 5:47pm

I wonder if they'll even include the Emerald City Ballet in the broadcast or if they'll do something new for that moment. They keep saying they're doing the stage version but it's the stage version with a new book and new orchestrations and I'm anxious to know what other changes they're going to make.

DigificWriter
#490THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 5:52pm

My understanding is that Harvey Fierstein is adding stuff to the existing book, not rewriting it completely, but I could be wrong.

Liza's Headband
#491THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 9:07pm

You are not wrong. As it has been stated numerous times, he is contributing "additional material" to the book. Not rewriting it. 

musicaltheatreman2
#492THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 9:11pm

does anyone know anything about the song "Wonder wonder why " that was included in the 1984 revival that Dorothy sings? 

Updated On: 8/10/15 at 09:11 PM

Liza's Headband
#493THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 9:40pm

Uhh.... I'm assuming you're not talking about THE WIZ anymore, right? It did not exist in 1948. 

musicaltheatreman2
#494THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 9:49pm

sorry lol that was a typo i meant 1984

CATSNYrevival
#495THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 10:14pm

I'm curious about that song too. I've never heard it before.

sklabam
#496THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/10/15 at 10:19pm

no. no. and no.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#497THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 6:55am

I didn't know they added a song for the revival.

I hope they keep a portion of the Emerald City Ballet music even if they embellish it a bit. In a way, they kept some of that concept in the (horrible) film version, where the citizens were dancing and parading around (like a fashion show) while whispering about Dorothy and her friends as they arrived. It was way too long with all the changing costumes like a stoplight (red, yellow, green), but the idea was pretty much the same.

I'm also really anxious to see what they do with the flying monkeys. I imagine that's when Cirque will take over and blow us away. That and the tornado.

I'm just glad this material is getting another chance. The movie really killed it for so many who had never seen the stage production. It's so completely different from was on Broadway, and now maybe this new production will do it justice. I don't mind embellishing at all, or adapting, but when you move Oz and Kansas to NYC and Harlem, and you make Dorothy a 28-year-old schoolteacher, you've gone off the deep end. Go back to the original and try again.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#498THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 7:03am

This is somewhat close to the original tornado ballet concept. I remember the dancers with the umbrellas, but they were more like chimney sweep umbrellas.

The lead dancer had a scarf attached to the top of her head that went up into the rafters, and she had an eye painted on the chest of her leotard.

This isn't it, but it's in the ballpark ...

I can only imagine how Cirque will take it and run away with it!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#499THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 7:14am

Tony-winner Dee Dee Bridgewater as Glinda on opening night, singing "A Rested Body." This should have been on the cast album!

And singing "If You Believe." What an amazing talent.

Updated On: 8/11/15 at 07:14 AM

Videos