THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

teddy1996
#475COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/11/23 at 9:00pm

Updated On: 11/11/23 at 09:00 PM

teddy1996
#476COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/11/23 at 11:23pm

the songs from the musical will be rearranged for this movie. for example, shug avery’s comin to town will have a much faster tempo with a lot of jazz. blitz wanted to liven up the music a little bit. he took the music from the musical and made it very different and modern but it won’t sound too modern. the grit, the soul and substance will remain intact.

Updated On: 11/11/23 at 11:23 PM

teddy1996
#477COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/16/23 at 6:12pm

social media reactions to the movie will be released tonight at 9:45 pm PT and 12:45 am EST

BETTY22
#478COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/17/23 at 1:30pm

Fantasia was on ET last night talking about the movie...they showed clips. It looks THRILLING.....

teddy1996
#479COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/17/23 at 2:12pm

BETTY22 said: "Fantasia was on ET last night talking about the movie...they showed clips. It looks THRILLING....."

where can i watch this? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#480COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/17/23 at 2:13pm

Here are some early reactions, which should be taken with a very, very small grain of salt since early "influencer" screenings like this are curated to generate positive buzz for a film and the majority of these folks are not professional critics.

teddy1996
#481COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/17/23 at 3:47pm

i talked to someone who watched the screening last night and she told me a lot of the songs were cut including brown betty, african homeland, every little thing, and big dog. i could do without the others tbh but cutting african homeland is a mistake 

QueenTwinnied
#482COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/18/23 at 2:37am

Cutting African Homeland is very disappointing. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#483COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/18/23 at 9:59am

Just saw last night’s screening at Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood. Lots of gorgeous sequences, but for a purist like me, it was crushing to see how much of the score was thrown out and replaced with new but inferior songs that ruined the period story and said nothing about these characters. Not sure how you say you’ll make a movie of this musical, then throw half the musical’s score away.

Seems like Blitz (director) really studied Rob Marshall’s Chicago film— he loved creating numbers out of a character’s imagination rather than real life. Resulted in some lovely scenes of pure song and dance. 

Also on the plus side, the cast was superb top to bottom, the choreography was non-stop, the camera moved like a proper movie musical, and you believed the director really wanted to tell a story in song and dance (even though he forgot to do that for long stretches of the 2nd half.) 

Whatever misgivings I had about the movie, it was delicious to hear the director, DP, production designer, plus Fantasia, Taraji, Corey and especially Danielle hold forth on the process that brought this movie into being. That cast was pure gold!

Updated On: 11/18/23 at 09:59 AM

BETTY22
#484COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/19/23 at 11:01am

I was at industry screening - this is fantastic - BUT it is not the musical.

It feels like it's constantly apologizing for when they sing. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#485COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/19/23 at 12:53pm

I’d say half the time they were apologizing, and half the time they were fearless— “Hell No!”, “What About Love”, “Miss Celie’s Pants”, and “I Am Here” all hit the mark for me. It was astonishing to hear that most songs were performed live onset each take, not as playback. Can’t imagine the pain involved to produce that emotion each take. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#486COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/19/23 at 1:51pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: " Can’t imagine the pain involved to produce that emotion each take."

That is their job as an actor. 

teddy1996
#487COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/22/23 at 12:11am

i am beyond upset that they cut african homeland. it is literally one of the most beautiful and important songs in the whole musical. we could have had such an amazing sequence with great choreography plus halle and fantasia singing together. such a major missed opportunity.  

parkerjonesj
#488COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/22/23 at 7:49am

teddy1996 said: "i am beyond upset that they cut african homeland. it is literally one of the most beautiful and important songs in the whole musical. we could have had such an amazing sequence with great choreography plus halle and fantasia singing together. such a major missed opportunity."

If you've seen the stage version, I'm not sure African Homeland works in film version because it condenses a large amount of time into one song. It's also the only time we see Celie reading Nettie's letter which also wouldn't work. 

teddy1996
#489COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/24/23 at 6:54pm

another brand new poster for the movie: https://x.com/ezracubero/status/1728147616628633890?s=46

WOW. the posters for this movie are beyond dreadful. it’s either warner bros is trying to sabotage this movie or they didn’t have enough in the budget for a good poster

Globefan
#490COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/25/23 at 4:03pm

WB makes the movie look like Dreamgirls with those posters. 

teddy1996
#491COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/25/23 at 6:44pm

Globefan said: "WB makes the movie look like Dreamgirls with those posters."

i just learned that it is not an official poster. it’s just an icon on the for your consideration page

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#492COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/25/23 at 7:03pm

teddy1996 said: "Globefan said: "WB makes the movie look like Dreamgirls with those posters."

i just learned that it is not an official poster. it’s just an icon on the for your consideration page
"

This poster is currently hanging up at my local Regal. 

teddy1996
#493COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/25/23 at 11:35pm

new footage including hell no, mysterious ways, and push da button: https://youtu.be/JQ-ilsGFm3U?si=XeHH3kkRk0vP-lOz

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#494COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/26/23 at 9:46am

teddy1996 said: "new footage including hell no, mysterious ways, and push da button:https://youtu.be/JQ-ilsGFm3U?si=XeHH3kkRk0vP-lOz"

anyone know who's playing the five church ladies?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

teddy1996
#495COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/26/23 at 9:48am

ACL2006 said: "teddy1996 said: "new footage including hell no, mysterious ways, and push da button:https://youtu.be/JQ-ilsGFm3U?si=XeHH3kkRk0vP-lOz"

anyone know who's playing the five church ladies?
"

tamela mann is the one in the middle. but i don’t know who the others are. 

teddy1996
#496COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/26/23 at 11:54pm

an official list of all the songs that will appear in the movie: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1200263/soundtrack/?ref_=tt_trv_snd

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#497COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/27/23 at 12:45am

I'm happy to see "Miss Celie's Blues" and "Maybe God Is Tryin' To Tell You Somethin'" from the original movie are in this!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#498COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/27/23 at 8:12am

Here ya goes:

COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development

teddy1996
#499COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/27/23 at 8:30am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Here ya goes:

COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
"