pixeltracker

LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way - Page 3

LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way

aaaaaa15
#50LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 12:08pm

I don't think anyone is saying that Hillary needs this fundraiser to finance her campaign. You can get tickets to this show if you're rich in general, Hillary supporter or not. There are also poor Hillary supporters that can't get tickets. Your ability to get Hamilton tickets has nothing to do with which political candidate you support, you don't even have to donate to enter this competition to win free tickets.

I understand that you think Trump will fail, but I thought Brexit would fail. Anything can happen and you can't put your faith in voters to do the right thing.

I think this is a clever thing for Hillary/her team to come up with and she's not coming at it from a non-genuine place due to the fact that she saw it at the Public. It's not something she's latching on to out of popularity, but something she likes and can also use to her advantage. If you don't believe that politics and the entertainment industry should mix then you have the right to that view, but it's unavoidable nowadays.

indytallguy
#51LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 12:37pm

This is the hottest show I can ever remember on Broadway and now if you are a rich Hillary supporter you can get good seats for a performance which bites IMO."

It's not as if a general theatre patron is going to be disenfranchised. Donors can get good seats for a performance that didn't exist previously.

rjm516
#52LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 1:37pm

Writing from London to address the people who think it's bad taste for art to get political: Everyone has to get political now and do whatever they can to make sure Hillary is elected and not Trump. Good on everyone at Hamilton for using their platform to help save the world. I'm not exaggerating. The Trump voters of the UK have destroyed this country for future generations with Brexit, not to mention the economy. This is a big disaster over here that is already affecting the US economy, and the US is much much bigger. The catastrophe that will happen if Trump is elected is so much bigger than this is and so necessary to avoid. This isn't just Bush v. Gore politics. This is save your f-ing country politics and the world as you know it from a dangerous lunatic. People who think he's just a joke are ignorant. He is dangerous. The time for caring if people who aren't 'in' politics get political is long gone because the world cannot handle b.s. like that anymore.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#53LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 2:21pm

"If you don't believe that politics and the entertainment industry should mix then you have the right to that view, but it's unavoidable nowadays."

I don't think they should mix and understand it is unavoidable. The amount of money in Presidential campaigns is just obscene IMO. 

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#54LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:27pm

This is just to clarify my intent in posting this topic.

In the first post I specifically did not bring up politics or slant the post toward Hillary Clinton. I was merely just informing everyone about the contest, (BWW itself did not even make a post about this until an hour or so after my post). It wasn't until someone asked about tickets that I included the info along with HRC's campaign and contest information. This discussion of the whys' and hows' and whos' is usually in the Off Topics board. I did not intend to offend anyone.

LMM will not be performing, but I don't know about other cast members.

I named the thread like I did b/c LMM has repeatedly and openly expressed his support for HRC. I'm sure if he didn't want to do the fund raiser it wouldn't be happening. I'm just as sure that if Trump wanted to do a fund raiser performance, there's no way that would happen. This is a fundraiser but the price of tickets is definitely jaw dropping, and only a certain segment of supporters can afford that. But when everyday tickets are equally as pricey, or even costing more, you do wonder just who is paying these prices and in doing so, setting precedents we won't like. Thank God LMM has set up the school educational price breaks, something I wish other shows will consider.

Politics and the Arts intersect for each other's benefit. The Democrats are still trying to convince LMM and cast to perform at the Democratic convention in July. Trump becoming president truly scares me. And for the record, I do support HRC, but again I thought I was being PC, but this should fall under the category someone may have mentioned about loving the show and not liking the actor's personal political views.  

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

bear88
#55LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:45pm

This discussion is funny to me only because the real Alexander Hamilton was a darling of the moneyed Wall Street class and was constantly accused of being corrupt as treasury secretary. Miranda references this repeatedly in the show. 

From "Schulyer Defeated":

Burr: Oh, Wall Street thinks you're great. You'll always be adored by the things you create. But upstate...

Hamilton: Wait...

Burr: People think you're crooked.

Where have I heard a presidential candidate being labeled as "crooked" before?

aaaaaa15
#56LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 9:50pm

Yes I did laugh when the primaries were still going on and young people who love both Bernie and Hamilton were calling Bernie Hamilton and Hillary Burr...not quite kids.

Steve C. you did nothing wrong in posting this thread.

jdra
#57LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 10:06pm

Steve C. said: " This is a fundraiser but the price of tickets is definitely jaw dropping, and only a certain segment of supporters can afford that."

They charge the same amount for regular such fundraisers and you just get to go to a cocktail party at a fancy house. This seems like a better deal to me for people who do this sort of thing.

Ranger Tom
#58LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/26/16 at 10:28pm

This isn't about the fundraising - Clinton has all the money she needs in the Foundation and in Hollywood.  It's about gaining more of the young voters who have been with Sanders and love Hamilton.  Interesting scenario:  Trump uses mystery friends to buy out as many tickets as they can and they walk out during the opening.  Now THAT's good theater. 

After Eight
#59LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:01am

"This isn't about the fundraising - Clinton has all the money she needs in the Foundation and in Hollywood. "

As with everything regarding this entity and those who use it to serve their own ends, it's about self-promotion and self-interest: a toxic brew, indeed.

"Interesting scenario:  Trump uses mystery friends to buy out as many tickets as they can and they walk out during the opening.  Now THAT's good theater."

It would be a good joke, but then, that would garner the thing even more publicity. It would be better if he bought out the theatre and then had  no one show up. I'd love to be in the room where THAT happened! Unfortunately, it's all a pipe dream, because her campaign would still get his money, which I don't think would please him in the least.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#60LMM & Hillary and Hamilton Give-a Way
Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:14am

A propros of politics and Broadway, there was the time that Stephen Sondheim rewrote some lyrics for Ethel Merman to help Congressman John Lindsay become mayor of New York City:

Videos