Posted: 6/21/04 at 12:02pm

Bebe Neuwirth

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#51re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 12:04pm

Bette's still got it!

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

jmnpublications
#52re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 12:13pm

I say Rachel York is a major triple threat. Her singing alone could qualify her as a legend one day, but she is also blessed with an uncanny acting ability - great at both comedy and drama. She's a fine dancer, too, as witnessed from her work in VICTOR/VICTORIA, ANYTHING GOES, EVITA, and A CHORUS LINE.

And what about Donna Murphy and Kristin Chenoweth? Powerhouses, both.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#53re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 3:15pm

Ruthie Henshall has only sounded nasal to me on recordings, whenever I've actually seen her before I never noticed her being nasal.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Plum
#54re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 4:41pm

I adore Jackman's work, but he does have a nasal singing voice that takes a bit of getting used to. However, it should be noted that he increased the nasality in The Boy From Oz- it's part of his Peter Allen impression. And his singing has improved with every musical (especially for someone who is comparitively untrained). Sooo...he's not a perfect triple threat, but he's a pretty damn good one. And he has star quality to spare. Updated On: 6/21/04 at 04:41 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#55re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 4:53pm

Ben Vereen is a good dancer and singer, but his acting really leaves a lot to be desired.

Desi Arnaz was definitely a triple-threat in his day, starring in Too Many Girls with Gene Kelly, but he left Broadway to do some silly television show.

How about Ann Miller? Cady Huffman? La Chanze? Nell Carter? Sharon McKnight? Those larger women can move too!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Wicked_Elphie Profile Photo
Wicked_Elphie
#56re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 5:06pm

I know it's been said at least a hundred times but SUTTON! And she is most definitely an incredible dancer!

"Take a breath. Take a step. Take a chance. Take your time." -L5Y

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#57re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 5:57pm

I've noticed we've left off a few African-American triple threats such as Hinton Battle, Alfonso Ribero, Cleavon Little, Robert Guilliaume, Samuel E. Wright, Alan Weeks, Ralph Carter and others. And yes, Nell Carter was a legitimate triple threat. I remember the "Ain't Misbehavin'" NBC special she was in.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

jo
#58re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 10:18pm

I love Hugh Jackman's work, mostly for the acting ( movies, included) - that he can sing and dance as well, is a bonus to me. For sheer stage presence and magnetism - he's got to be up there!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#59re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 10:19pm

Two Words - Ma Donna

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

MargoChanning
#60re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 10:26pm

Four words - Shang hai Sur prise

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#61re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 10:27pm

Wha? So she can't make a mistake? Or Five?

MargoChanning
#62re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 10:32pm

I'm willing to forgive Esther, er, Madonna for all of her past sins..... but if I had made some of those movies, I'd want to change my name, too.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Catschwartz
#63re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/21/04 at 10:34pm

sutton foster and susan egan!

onlylisab Profile Photo
onlylisab
#64re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 9:38am

RUTHIE HENSHALL, Kristin Chenoweth, and Sutton Foster

"First up was Max who sang "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" [...] I haven't seen that big of a reaction to a stair descent since Audra left the attic in Ragtime." --Seth Rudetsky

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#65re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 11:37am

Madonna is a triple threat! She can sing and dance and she threatens to act quite a lot.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

idinamenzelrocks899
#66re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 1:08pm

Kristin Chenoweth by far

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#67re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 3:24pm

Wow, I'm surprised no one mentioned Donna Murphy! And of course I agree with Sutton and Hugh.

Oh god my mind was totally in modern mode! I ADORE Chita Rivera, Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, early Joel Grey, the list goes on!

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Updated On: 6/22/04 at 03:24 PM

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#68re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 3:40pm

I'm gonna get in trouble with this one...BUT

Really...with names such as Gene Kelly, Gwen Verdon, Liza Minelli and Chita Rivera on this thread (not to mention names I haven't seen...like Fred Astaire and the incomparable Judy Garland), people really think Sutton Foster is the BEST triple threat???

She's a talented girl and has a bright future and a lot of potential...but come on!!!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#69re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 4:21pm

I'm with ya there, Robbie.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

MargoChanning
#70re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 6:34pm

Me too. I like Sutton a lot, but at this very early point in her career, you simply cannot compare her to Verdon, Rivera, Vereen, Minnelli in her prime, Garland in hers, Sammy Davis Jr et al

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#71re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 6:43pm

Margo, this is to something you said earlier but I'm pretty sure Willy Loman is a character in Death of a Salesman. I think you're refering to Billy in Chicago.

broadwaystar2b
#72re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 6:47pm

I'd also like to add that for every Sutton Foster who got to step out into the spotlight, there are a least 10 chorus kids behind her who are just as talented and deserving of the titles of Triple Threats.
To the fabulous ensembles of Broadway shows, who we rarely acknowledge.

MargoChanning
#73re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 6:47pm

No, I did not misspeak (or mis-type). Andre de Shields played WILLY LOMAN in an all-black production of DEATH OF A SALESMAN in Chicago a couple of seasons ago (check his bio, if you don't believe me). I was emphasizing the fact that he is a TRUE triple threat, one of the few who can sing and dance AND do the most serious of serious drama.

broadwaystar2b
#74re: Best triple threat
Posted: 6/22/04 at 6:51pm

Oh, you meant Chicago the CITY.
My bad re: Best triple threat

Videos