pixeltracker

Worst Movie Based On A Musical- Page 3

Worst Movie Based On A Musical

timote316
#50re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 10:57pm

I love the Disney version of Music Man. I'm sorry, but I have to admit it. I think Matthew Broderick was great, and Cheno was perfect. Hm, I guess I'm one of the select few, tho lol

I would have to say Guys and Dolls. I really like the music in the show, but Marlon Brando killed it. 'Luck Be A Lady' spoken is like murder lol.

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#51re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 11:09pm

A chorus line, annie and the music man....anything that Disney presents as a musical after broadway is always a step down because they look for celebrities names instead of talent, they think more people will go that way.

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

BroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
#52re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:01am

I LOVE BYE BYE BIRDIE!!

But...ummm.....yeah. I think all things rule.

Real men are tenors.

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#53re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:03am

Godspell- I never want to see Victor Garber with a fro again. God. That was wrong.

PleaseChangeMe
#54re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:06am

"I'm worried about the upcoming 2005 movie of "Hairspray". When movies of musicals are made, they are either really good or really bad. If this movie is made poorly, then the show of Broadway may suffer."

I can only hope.

But the hands-down, WORST is A Little Night Music. What in the world were they thinking?

FosseBoi
#55re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:09am

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! I'M IN SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant belive no one has said anything about the RENT movie!!!!!!!! I think it will be HORRABLE!!!!!!!!!!! I can NOT NOT NOT see OUT TONIGHT on screen!!
I think HAIRSPRAY will be a great movie!re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

broadwayfan24
#56re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:11am

Grease, Mostly because they took out "Freddy My Love" and I love that song. But they added in it's place "Jane's song" BRUSHA BRUSHA BRUSHA!!! lol I love that part!!

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#57re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:13am

...walking off the plank...

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

shesings
#58re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:13am

OMG! I love Dumb Dog. Some days I seriously listen to that CD instead of the OBC just for that song.
"Rover why not think it over" that girl kics a*s!

BroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
#59re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:39am

OH. MY. GOD.

I have found another "Freddy My Love" fan!

broadwayfan, let's get married!!

I'll buy you a nice ring! And a cute dog!

Real men are tenors.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#60re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 1:33am

come to think of it GREASE cut out quite a few numbers - - -

FREDDY MY LOVE
IT'S RAINING ON PROM NIGHT
ALONE AT A DRIVE IN MOVIE
SHAKIN' AT THE HIGH SCHOOL HOP

#61re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 1:42am

Weeblo - you can rant all you want about the casting of Ms. Ball in the movie version of MAME (most have,) but questioning the casting of Bea Arthur as Vera Charles only makes you look silly and uninformed. She wasn't cast because she was the star of Maude, she was cast because she originated the role on Broadway - and received a Tony award for best featured actress in a musical for doing it.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#62re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 2:05am

you go dgrant!

weeblo
#63re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 11:46am

You're 100% right -- my slam was to Ball and not to Arthur. The backstory, from what I recall, is Angela Landsbury wasn't given the part in the movie as no one knew her outside of NYC. Sort of like why Julie Andrews wasn't given the Audrey Hepburn role in MY FAIR LADY. Two very weak and lame decisions. Going to the 50's, same reason why Viven Leigh got STREETCAR and not Jess Tandy.

VIETgrlTerifa
#64re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 1:56pm

*feels nervous*

I actually think Audrey Hepburn was a great choice in My Fair Lady, because I think Hepburn is a better actress overall, and I liked Marni Nixon's renditions of Eliza's songs.
I also thought Vivien Leigh was on the top of her game in Streetcare, however having never seen Jess Tandy, Leigh is the only Blanche I know.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
Updated On: 9/5/04 at 01:56 PM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#65re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 2:10pm

i disagree with the idea that no one knew Angela Lansbury outside of NYC. Angela Lansbury starred in numerous films, many of them well-regarded including "long hot summer", "all fall down", "manchurian candidate", "world of henry orient". after her "mame" stage run she starred in the disney live-animated musical "bedknobs and broomsticks".

the reason lucille ball was cast in the movie of "mame" was because of her status as a first-rate comedienne and the high visibility she gained through her television shows over the years.

i've never seen the "mame" movie and i've never heard the OBC so i can't really compare the two. but from the opinions of those on the board it seems that casting lucille ball was a huge mistake.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#66re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 2:13pm

vietgrl you shouldn't feel nervous about expressing an opinion...lol

i don't know much about the "my fair lady" situation and have never heard the OBC or the soundtrack, but from reading your post i'm assuming casting audrey hepburn in this movie upset some people.

VIETgrlTerifa
#67re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 2:21pm

That's an understatement, lol. But I think it was good that Julie Andrews wasn't in My Fair Lady because she got to do the wonderul Mary Poppins (which was the number 1 movie that year) and was cast for Sound of Music after the filmakers of SoM saw an early cut of Mary Poppins. So it all worked out.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
Updated On: 9/5/04 at 02:21 PM

BWayBoy88
#68re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:32pm

I would say A Chorus Line

pajamaboy Profile Photo
pajamaboy
#69re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 5:28pm

i'm gonna be crucified for saying this, but CHICAGO.

i honestly didn't care for chicago after seeing it a few times. they cut out class (and put it on the DVD and it sucked) along with a little bit of good, i am my own best friend, i know a girl, me and my baby, when velma takes the stand.

and then velma was a supporting role and roxie was a leading role when both are supposed to be equal.

rene whatsherface couldn't sing and looked hideous (WAY too skinny and whiny) and richard gere (sp?) wasn't very good as billy.

cell block tango? um...hot? yes, but not fitting. there aren't supposed to be THAT many women on murderers row.

that movie was...ugh.

we are family!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#70re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 5:37pm

pajamaboy- i'll save ya...i have ot agree with the points you made, although i didn't mind renee's singing compared to say anne reinking

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

#71re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/5/04 at 5:54pm

Bye Bye Birdie! How could I forget that awful movie with Janet Leigh in her awful wig and the padded Ed Sullivan subplot with everyone on superspeed? Bad. Bad! BAD! LOL

Videos