Worst Movie Based On A Musical

megannn33
#0Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:31pm

What do you think the worst movie based on a musical is (or will be)?

MargoChanning
#1re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:40pm

MAME!!!!!! (just what the hell did Lucy think she was doing, anyway???)
A Chorus Line
Man of La Mancha
Annie
A Little Night Music

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 8/31/04 at 08:40 PM

musicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
#2re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:43pm

hands down worst ever has to be A Chorus Line.

need to defrag my brain.

megannn33
#3re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical

yea i was thinking a chorus line well i haven't seen the musical but i heard it was better

#4re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical

I'm worried about the upcoming 2005 movie of "Hairspray". When movies of musicals are made, they are either really good or really bad. If this movie is made poorly, then the show of Broadway may suffer. Newcomers to the show might not want to see it becuase they saw the movie and think that it will be bad too. But then again, the movie could bring a lot of publicity to the show. But, it make me wonder how they will do some songs like "Without Love" or "Good Morning Baltimore" or "You Can't Stop the Beat". I can only pictures those songs on the stage. What do you think?

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#5re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:44pm

a chorus line
hello dolly

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

CJR
#6re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:45pm

ACL -- though I am watching it now (it's on tv)..... gotta love my girl Vicki re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#7re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:48pm

Ugh, I hate "Annie."

The 1999 version is good, though.

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#8re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:49pm

Bye bye birdie isn't really that stellar of a musical to start with, but the movie version was just AWFUL.

HROK?

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#9re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:49pm

As Margo said, MAME!!!!! People in musicals should be able to SING!

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

MargoChanning
#10re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 8:53pm

The director of "Bye Bye Birdie" had a huge crush on Ann-Margret (as did most of the heterosexual male population of the time), so the movie became all about her. And Janet Leigh in a black wig was no substitute for Chita Rivera (which is why there was no "Shiner's Ballet" in the movie). Van Dyke, Lynde and Maureen Stapleton were great, though.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#11re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:35pm

aww I enjoy Dolly and Birdie! I grew up with them, and as a young girl I thought they were the greatest things ever, so they sort of have a sentimental value to me. I know they're no brilliant work of art, but they always put me in a good mood!

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#12re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:48pm

i agree with most of MargoChanning choices..camelot was not as good as the stage show as well.

#13re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:50pm

Agree with all of the above (ESPECIALLY Mame and A Chorus Line) and will add Paint Your Wagon. Not an expecially great show to begin with, but pleasant enough - and then they made it into THAT.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#14re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:51pm

u know what truly blew? the abc/disney-fied version of "the music man"..... i call it: "the mucus man"...

SMiller
#15re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:35pm

I must agree. A Chorus Line. Horrid!!!!

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#16re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:39pm

The Music Man

#17re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:45pm

The Wiz, what a horrible junk movie that was. Also the TV version of 'The Music Man' why did they lower the keys for Kristen Chenoweth when she can hit a high E and maybe even higher, that just made everyone look stupid in it.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#18re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 12:12am

forgot about the wiz... yeah that was painful to watch

i have to add evita to this list....only because vocally madonna sucked compared to the other actresses who have tackled this role, talk about stunt casting.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#19re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 12:18am

While Kristin can hit the notes, her not voice is obnoxious anyway, and the higher she goes, the worse it becomes.

I don't know that I could choose just one.

A Chorus Line was bad, but I like it.
The Wiz

I'd say Annie but I don't like the show either.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat was horrid.

Hair

Oliver (parts of it are good, but the musical numbers go on way too long and some of the arrangements are off.)

I'm sure I could think of others, but I can't think of any right now.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#20re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 12:21am

Hair?!!!!!! I know it's just your opinion, but Hair wasnt a bad movie at all it's nowhere in the same league as A Chorus Line or even The Wiz

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#21re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 12:27am

I loved the movie version of EVITA (I prefer the sountrack over the OBC.........I know, boo.....hisss)

I thought they did a good job on Joseph

I love Hair the movie. The soundtrack is vastly superior to the OBC.

The worst movie based on a musical has to be.....THE WIZ. I hate Diana Ross with a passion.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#22re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 12:28am

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#23re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 12:31am

I second that flowery. I thought it was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. They made it too slapstick to the point when it wasn't even funny anymore

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#24re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 12:34am

I still can't get through Jesus Christ Superstar. All those boring people running around in the desert mouthing words to songs pre-sung with no reverb.
NYMF presents The Big Voice: God or Merman?

Videos