Corine2
#50re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 9:44am

It moved me so much.

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#51re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 10:27am

Corine, as a middle class NY Jew, related to the story of a teenage slave in 1862!

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

bobbysworld Profile Photo
bobbysworld
#52re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 12:03pm

Will there be a cast recording of this show!?!? I never saw "A Man of No Importance"---but I listen to it all the time. I love Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens shows...and they seem to get better with each new one they write.

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#53re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 12:15pm

I totally agree with you Magruder. Of course, I understand what MusicMan is trying to say, though I disagree that Caroline doesn't have an emotional payoff. Just because Parade, Marie Christine, and The Wild Party end on a negative note, doesn't mean that their creators are pretentious and/or heartless with no desire to connect. I just believe that in order for the artform to evolve the reviewers themselves need to evolve accordingly. This doesn't appear to be happening.

Also, if I can remember correctly A Man of No Importance received a fairly decent reception. The show just works much better on a small scale. I think Broadway transfer would have killed that show's intimacy.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#54re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 12:15pm

I just bought the book yesterday, and am excited to read it, as well, I have to buy tix, because A&F are my fave composer/lyricists...
But, and I don't know why, I can't get into "A Man of No Importance". I'm trying, but the little that I've heard makes me unmotivated to want to listen to it again. I believe it's because of the whole Irish thing. The music, the vocal stylings, etc...
But, I do appreciate them for finding different styles, and writing in them. What other composer goes from Showtuney to Island music to ragtime to Irish, etc?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#55re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 12:28pm

Well Justice, all race cards aside the show is perhaps one of the most touching stories in all of musical theatre IMO. I know that the album is not filled with the strongest vocals, aside from Steven Pasquale, but every time Roger Rees (Alfie) opens his mouth, you don't care that he can't sing. You catch yourself completely immersed in McNally's words and Ahrens' lyrics. Such a beautiful story, saturated in honesty and simplicity.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

Plum
#56re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 2:15pm

You know, as nice as it is to reassure oneself that it's the critics who are being left behind by a sophisticated new musical, it is possible that maybe, just maybe, the show doesn't work. I loved Caroline, or Change, and I'm all for serious theater, but Dessa Rose just didn't take off for me until partway into Act II, for reasons that multiple critics have named. Dessa Rose's admirable intentions just weren't well-executed, theatrically. I'm pretty much with the critics on this one. (And heaven knows that doesn't always happen.)

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#57re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 2:34pm

I just loved it. And i loved Norm!
Midtown sweetie what are you saying?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#58re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 4:32pm

I noticed that Scheck didn't post a review in the Post.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#59re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 5:12pm

Oh plum..... I want a pear!
Updated On: 3/22/05 at 05:12 PM

jmnpublications
#60re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 5:22pm

The posters over at All That Chat are rallying around DESSA ROSE 10 to 1. Corine2, go on over and get a group hug. I'm with you, girl.

lc

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#61re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 5:28pm

I love lost faith in the critics after these reviews !!! Best show we have seen this year !!

melissa errico fan
#62re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 5:34pm

Yeah, I've only heard positive things from friends, and most of the boardmembers who have seen it have liked it. If ever there was a show that could overcome the critics, I think this is it.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#63re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 5:53pm

Its on Tdf for $25 for a ton of dates. For anyone that has not seen it.. GO !!!! $25 .. and all of the seats at the "Mitzi" are good. It is truly a wonderful, powerful show !!! Dont let the critics sway you on this one !!

melissa errico fan
#64re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/22/05 at 6:17pm

I see it in two weeks. I'm an LCT member, so tickets were only $40.

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#65re: Dessa Rose Reviews
Posted: 3/23/05 at 1:38am

Margo (if you're still there) -

While normally these types of reviews would possibly prevent a Broadway transfer, it's nearly 100% impossible that Dessa Rose would be transferred to Broadway, at least not with the same cast. LaChanze has to go rehearse The Color Purple: The Musical in preparation for its Broadway opening in the fall, so if they transferred, it would have to be without her, which wouldn't go over well. In addition, LCT seems not to transfer shows from the Mitzi to a Broadway stage.

~The Air is Free

Videos