pixeltracker

Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls- Page 3

Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#50re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/15/05 at 1:27am

You can listen to Latoya's new single on AOL and her CD drops this summer.

nztheatreluva Profile Photo
nztheatreluva
#51re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/15/05 at 2:13am

Oooooh, LightMyCandle, can you post some links of Clay himself as well?

J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci.............

#52re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/15/05 at 3:28am

I was the dresser for Curtis when Frenchie Davis played Effie at American Musical Theatre of San Jose. Let me just tell you Frenchie was FANTASTIC. I would vote for her if an AI alum had to play Effie. But I say PLEASE find an unknown! Hollywood doesn't do this enough anymore I don't think, putting an unknown in the LEAD role. There are so many women who could just blow the roof off the, well, movie theatre with "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going", but I doubt many of them were on American Idol. I can't stand watching that show.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#53re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/15/05 at 1:50pm

I havn't heard a lot about Frenchie. How long is she staying with Rent.

Mikers Profile Photo
Mikers
#54re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/25/05 at 7:31am

This site has almost everything Clay's done. This link takes you to the page of his Christmas Joyful Noise Tour. Don't forget your GPS, you could be lost for days in there. That boy has a helluva catalogue already.

http://www.allthingsclayaiken.com/vault/jntvideos1.html
Updated On: 6/25/05 at 07:31 AM

Jenoa2
#55re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/4/05 at 5:59am

Did anyone catch Fantasia's performance at the Kennedy Honors Center where she serenaded Elton John? Blew me away! I wasn't aware that she could sing like that but I was really impressed. I've actually seen her perform without all the histrionics and this girl can sing just about anything and beautifully. Guess that gospel scream she does is an aquired taste. I think she knows pretty much when to change her style depending on her venue. Apparently in back in May she performed two songs at Carnegie Hall where she and Heather Headley were special guest performers. http://www.newyorkpops.org/html/archived_press.html
I'd love for her to have a shot at any of the roles. re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

As for that Clay Aiken link? No thank you. Heard him and he's nothing special.

TennesseeTwang
#56re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/4/05 at 8:44am

" And, isn't her weight kind of the *point* of the whole story?"

Not really. The person that Effie was based on Florence Ballard, was never that fat. She was just plump when compared to the other stick-thin Supremes. She was actually normal-sized.

Because the first Effie, Jennifer Holiday was full-figured, everyone has it in their minds that Effie absolutley must be huge. But Holiday was hired in spite of her size, not because of it.

In the casting call, they state that they will consider women who are just a few pounds overweight to full-figured.

OPEN CALL
'DREAMGIRLS'
FEATURE FILM
DREAMWORKS/WARNER BROS.

SEEKING THE FOLLOWING ROLE ONLY:
EFFIE WHITE: AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN ACTRESS/SINGER WITH A HUGE GOSPEL BELT VOICE WITH GREAT POWER AND RANGE IN HER EARLY-LATE 20’S (NO OLDER!) TO PLAY THE LEADING ROLE OF ‘EFFIE WHITE’. BODY TYPES FROM ‘A FEW EXTRA POUNDS’ TO ‘FULL-FIGURED’ ARE WELCOME.

SET IN THE EARLY 1960'S TO THE 1970'S, THIS IS THE STORY OF THE AMAZING 'DREAMS' - THREE AFRICAN-AMERICAN GIRL SINGERS FROM THE PROJECTS OF DETROIT WHO BREAK THEIR HEARTS ON THE PATH TO STARDOM. THIS MAJOR DREAMWORKS/WARNER BROS. STUDIO FEATURE WILL BEGIN SHOOTING IN JANUARY ’06 IN LOS ANGELES.

AUDITION:
DATE: SATURDAY JUNE 18, 2005
244 WEST 54TH STREET
10TH FLOOR STUDIO A
TIME: SIGN IN BEGINS AT 10:00AM
(STUDIO OPENS AT 9:30AM)
AUDITIONS BEGINS AT 11:00AM
SIGN IN STOPS AT 1:00PM

TO PREPARE: ONE UPTEMPO GOSPEL, R&B, OR POP THEATRE SONG THAT SHOWS VOICE AND RANGE. BRING SHEET MUSIC. A PIANIST WILL BE PROVIDED. BRING A PICTURE AND RESUME.

If you are unable to attend this call, please send your picture and resume to:
Binder Casting
321 West 44th Street, Suite 606
New York, NY 10036
Attn: Dreamgirls

Updated On: 7/5/05 at 08:44 AM

apdarcey
#57re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/4/05 at 11:17am

well vocally i think jennifer hudson would be the best for effie. i really hate fantasia's voice and jenoa, her kennedy center performance was horrendous. so awful. i too think that latoya would be good for the role of michelle. also, whoever said that beyonce should leave obviously doesn't understand that the role of deena is her real life. she was a member of a group and they forced others out so that she could take the leading spot in the group. she lives deena's life. and she has a hell of a voice. i think beyonce as deena is beyond perfect casting.

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#58re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/4/05 at 11:27am

Can any of them actually act? It's one thing to be able to sing, but it's a whole different ball game when it come to acting.

Ronlopez
#59re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/4/05 at 6:17pm

For this film I would rather have bad actors over bad singing. It would be nice if they could get both. I am not sure about Eddie Murphy's chops. I guess he is going to go back to his Randy Watson vocals from Coming to America.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#60re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/4/05 at 9:43pm

apdarcey, Beyonce was the lead singer of Destiny's Child from the start. The memebers didn't leave/get booted for her to take the lead cuz it was already hers...Now, other favoritism shown is debatable.

apdarcey
#61re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/4/05 at 9:46pm

she wasn't. when they were 12 there was a group of 4 girls that had an everyone's equal girl group. she wasn't the lead until the current 3 started their stuff. do some history.

Kavana Profile Photo
Kavana
#62re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 1:10am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^YOU GONNA BE SHUT DOWN^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Proceed Truth

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#63re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 1:55am

"Edited again for grammer :-/"

But obviously not for spelling re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

I think it's sad that the choice is either acting or singing, but either way, they'd prefer if you're famous. If Jennifer Holliday-pre-Dreamgirls were to try out for this movie, she probably wouldn't be cast, because she wasn't already a household name. Now who can think of Dreamgirls without her name popping into their head?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#64re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 1:59am

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the only reason the casting is like it is.
Updated On: 7/5/05 at 01:59 AM

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#65re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:11am

Apdarcey, I'ma give you a chance to recant that statement before I come for you...

OK. Have you heard DC's first CD? Beyonce sings lead on mostly all of it. She was reffered to as their lead singer when Vibe magazine reviewed that CD. Kelly is the 2nd lead and she sings a whole lot less than Beyonce. Actually, Latavia wasn't even really a "singer" she was a rapper, but the label was going to replace her because they didn't want a rapper in the group. They got her voice lessons so that she could be passible. So, there is no way she was singing lead or equally to Beyonce or Kelly.

The Writings On The Wall. (aka The last CD with the four girls) Beyonce sings the whole song on all of 9 out of the 16 tracks and she sings more than half on the remainging songs. Kelly sang the Prechorus on "So Good", "Bills, Bills, Bills", and she sang a verse in "Now That She's Gone" and some parts on "Amazing Grace." Next, Latavia sang a verse on Sweet Sixteen and Letoya sang nothing.

So, now that you've read what I've said. How can you tell me that the girls had an equal group and that Beyonce wasn't the lead until the current three? You have no idea what you're talking about and you actually have it backwards because Beyonce started singing less after they went down to three. This is what she told MTV news about DCs 3rd CD Survivor, which is when they want down to three.

"Everybody is singing lead on every song, and it's so great — because now Destiny's Child is at the point vocally and mentally that it should be at. It's just great to be a part of this group." Survivor

So, I suggest YOU DO YOUR HISTORY! And have some respect when you talk to grown folks.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Destiny's-Child-Biography/3EE8266B2FB4E28C4825689D002D6EB7

Kavana Profile Photo
Kavana
#66re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:17am

re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

BABY YOU HAVE JUST BEEN HIYAHED IN THE FACE

Honey he read you wrote you put you back in the library for someone else to read you..

I taught you well truth
Updated On: 7/5/05 at 02:17 AM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#67re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:34am

sorry apdarcey but you have just been read from a to z and put back on the shelf to collect dust....

Updated On: 7/5/05 at 02:34 AM

TennesseeTwang
#68re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:38am

I'm sad that it appears that no theater actresses were considered for the roles of Deena or Lorell. There are so many talented women out there.

And Beyonce just doesn't cut it for me. She seems too dim and programmed by Matthew Knowles to be a credible careerist like the Deena character.

Dreamgirls holds a special place in my heart and the thought of them messing it up by casting a name "actress" like Beyonce scares me.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#69re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:50am

This is what Beyonce had to say about the role in Dreamgirls.

"I've been dreaming about this role," she said. "I can't even talk about it, I'm so excited. Finally, I have a role that has so many layers — it's dramatic, it's funny, I play her young, I play her older. You see the journey of her growing up, and it's really emotional. It's perfect. It's a real part. I get to act, and I don't think I've ever really done that yet."

Hell, if we go by the Tracie Thoms theory, Beyonce's perfect for the role. Everybody loves Tracie now that they heard her story of how she wanted to be in Rent.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1504619/20050623/destinys_child.jhtml

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#70re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 4:17am

Well then TennesseeTwang just stay home and don't go see the movie when it is released and don't buy the soundtrack because I'm really sorry to break this to you but BEYONCE IS IT AND THAT'S THAT AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU OR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE HER CAN DO ABOUT IT BEYOND CRYING YOUR EYES OUT AND WHINING MOANING AND COMPLAINING. NOW GO BUILD A BRIDGE AND DO ONE OF TWO THINGS:

GET OVER IT.
OR TAKE A FLYING LEAP.

I'M SO SICK OF ALL YOU BEYONCE NAY-SAYERS AND CRY BABIES.
BE GONE WITH THE WHOLE LOT OF YOU!!!!!
Updated On: 7/5/05 at 04:17 AM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#71re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 4:21am

Damn that felt good! re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#72re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 5:16am

Heh, Marquise. I've wanted to do that so many times here at BWW.

Thetruth, personally, I had that response to Tracie Thoms because she finally got her chance to play the role, but in the movie where the stakes are much higher. An unknown actress beating out bigger names for the chance to play Johanne is much more meaningful than a superstar saying "Oh, I've always wanted to play this role" and having it handed to her on a silver platter. Not specifically with Beyonce, it's happened many times before, especially when Hollywood dabbles in theater. Remember how freaked out people were a few months ago when it was rumored Britney Spears wanted to play Elphaba? People were convinced it could possibly happen, because she was famous and they tend to get their way in Hollywood.

Yes, I know Beyonce probably had to audition like everyone else, and she may be great in the role- like Marquise so nicely pointed out, she's set. I'm just wondering if with her PLUS possibly the American Idol singers, the movie will end up looking it was cast from TRL and in the long-run will just seem really dated.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 7/5/05 at 05:16 AM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#73re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 5:32am

I don't think Beyoncé had to actually audition for the role. It was actually, I think just offered to her. She's one of the hottest singers in the music business today. She's the lead singer of the biggest selling female group of all time AND a multi-million selling platinum solo artist with 5 Grammys. Who in their right mind wouldn't have cast her in this movie. Those are just the facts. The casting of Beyoncé was really a given if you ask me.

Back in 1988 when talks of a film version were making the rounds Whitney Houston was offered the role because she was the top selling female artist at that time. At that point in time she was the obvious choice.

In 1998 when talks resumed and Joel Schumacher was at the helm Lauryn Hill had just come off a phenomenal multi-grammy award winning debut album and her name was tossed around for the role.

It's evident that a pop star is needed in this role because it *is* the role of a pop star and that's who they will always look for to cast in the role.

Beyoncé just happened to be the right choice for this role at this time and I honestly think she will be sensational in this role.

Condon and Geffen seem to have enough faith in her.

Regardless of this fact the pivotal role in "DREAMGIRLS" is that of "Effie" and it's imperative that the producers cast this role with the right actress/singer. They can cast all the Beyoncés of the world in this film but if they don't cast the role of "Effie" with someone that will do that part justice, they might as well just forget about it.
Updated On: 7/5/05 at 05:32 AM

TennesseeTwang
#74re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 7/5/05 at 8:18am

Actually I'm not in favor of any popstar automatically being offered a role in this film. I've seen Beyonce in two movies and was unimpressed with her "acting" in both. If that's not a good reason for thinking that she's wrong for the role then what is?

I my opinion, having someone be in the right place at the right time isn't a good enough reason to cast them in a high profile film. Especially since David Geffen has said that it's taken him 25 years to make the movie because he wanted EVERYTHING to be just right.

And what's with the yelling and personal attacks? You had a great chance to make your points as to why her winning the role was a good idea but you didn't.

I certainly didn't expect everyone to agree with my statements because they were provocative and I know that Beyonce has many fans. But I expected those who defended her to be more substantive than yelling.

I think she's wrong for the role for what I think is a very sound reason. I don't think she can act. That was the the sentiment I expected to see countered.

As to the suggestion that those of us who dislike her being cast stay the f--k home, well, somehow, I don't think that Dreamworks wants many of the the hardcore fans of the musical to do that.

Btw, yelling isn't a good way to tell someone off even if you're aiming for a neck rolling snaps, snap dis.

Updated On: 7/5/05 at 08:18 AM

Videos