pixeltracker

Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

silent
#0Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:24am

From USA Today:

Also honored: Jamie Foxx and his longtime female handlers, manager Jaime Rucker King and attorney Nina Shaw. Foxx will co-star with Beyoncé in the big-screen adaptation of the Broadway musical Dreamgirls, and King confirmed that those auditioning for Beyoncé's fellow Dreamettes include 2004 American Idol competitors Fantasia Barrino, La Toya London and Jennifer Hudson.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#1re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:28am

I'm not surprised. This confirms what I've been saying and everything Jennifer Hudson stated on her website. Fantasia is my bet. Jennifer Hudson has a loooong shot and La toya's is longer because I don't see her fitting any of the roles. Plus, she's a robot.

Do you have a link, Silent?

timote316
#3re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:44am

Ugh, I hated Fantasia... On the flip side, La Toya was my favorite from her season.

ETA: I thought I read that the casting for the movie was all set, except for Effie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't she need to be heavy-set and a belter? (which, btw, leaves only Jennifer Hudson in the running)

Edited again for grammer :-/
Updated On: 6/13/05 at 10:44 AM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:49am

Hudson and Fantasia wouldn't even be up for the same role.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:49am

I vote for Hudson - I can't stand Fantasia's screeching, and truth, I second your LaToya description.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 6/13/05 at 10:49 AM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:59am

YOu didn't hear? Effie is anorexic in the movie.

EffieWhite Profile Photo
EffieWhite
#7re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 11:24am

FYI--due to what I can only imagine is the casting director's total lack of musical smarts--or any understanding of the piece--Fantasia was brought in to audition for Effie.

"You got the same dress I got?" "Yes.""You got the same wig I got?" "Yes." THEN SHUT UP!

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#8re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 11:30am

when I first read the title i thought it said "Idina auditions for Dreamgirls". And i said .... no!

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 11:30am

Maybe she'll wear a fat suit. Hehe.

Kringas
#10re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 11:54am

YOu didn't hear? Effie is anorexic in the movie.

You're lyin', you're lyin', I never been so thin!

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#11re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:02pm

Fantasia is most likely being seen for Lorell. The article says "Beyonce's fellow Dreamettes." Jennifer Hudson made a comment about possibly getting the role and "performing alongside Fantasia again."

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#12re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:05pm

Ugh.:)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#13re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:07pm

Dear reader,

Please refrain from using the word "casted".
The word does not exist.

The film was CAST. NOT The film was "CASTED".

When in doubt please see the above example.

Thank you and have a pleasant day!

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#14re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:07pm

GOOOOOOOOOOOO LATOYA!!!

I can't stand fantasia.

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#15re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:14pm

fantasia sucks. jenn is great. latoya is amazing.

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#16re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:19pm

Effie:
You're lyin', You're lyin'
Cause you're knocking off that piece who thinks she's better than every-bod-day....
She ain't better than anybody!
She ain't nothin' but common!

Deena:
Now who you callin' common you self indulgent, self-absorbed non-professional!!

Sorry, it was Kringas fault! He started it!

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#17re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:22pm

Guys better watch out about the talk that Effie needs to be fat, cause if Margo finds out she will eat you alive!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#18re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:48pm

Fantasia... eh. I liked her during AI but everytime I've heard her since she's screeching like crazy. I honestly don't think she'll have a voice at all in like a year if she keeps singing like that.

LaToya's voice is AMAZING, but she has no personality.

Which leaves me with Jennifer, who was my favorite of that season anyway :0).

EffieWhite Profile Photo
EffieWhite
#19re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 2:56pm

Dear Thetruth: Fantasia was seen for Effie. That was the whole point of my post.
Dear Marquise: Thank you for the "casted" post. I wrote that once before and got SO yelled at!

"You got the same dress I got?" "Yes.""You got the same wig I got?" "Yes." THEN SHUT UP!

Plum
#20re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 3:08pm

I'm pretty sure I read they're looking for someone who's at least mildly overweight. Of course, all a girl would need to do is be at have a normal figure and she'd look chubby next to the stick insects that populate movies today, so I don't see this becoming a big deal. At the worst, make the girl do a "Bridget Jones" diet.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#21re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 3:10pm

Jennifer & Fantasia were auditioned for Effie. I'm pretty sure La Toya London was for the same role as well. But I know Fantasia and Hudson for sure.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

dreamboy2004
#22re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 3:11pm

Oh I want to play!!!
Lorell: When are you two going to stop all this fighting

Effie: Stay out of it Lorell it's between Deena and me!

Lorell:Yeah well it's between me too,and I am just as much apart of this group as any-body else and Iam tired at being tired of all the trouble you've been causing us.
Updated On: 6/13/05 at 03:11 PM

dreamboy2004
#23re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 3:19pm

What the hell are they tinking audtioning Fantasia as Effie. Anybody can see that Fantasia is more suited for the role of Lorelle. I am too happy about he idea of Jennifer Hudson playing Effie either. I really think that their maybe some unknown who could really rock this role. For some reason Iwant to go see Dreamgirls and leave knowing I just saw a star in the making. Like many people left Dreamgirls after seeing Jennifer Holliday

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#24re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 3:23pm

Interesting how those who say "Fantasia is more suited for Lorrell" bases this solely on looks and not acting abilities.

Have you seen Fantasia act? Nope. She could definitely sing either role. Why not audition for Effie?

What the hell are they thinking auditioning her for Effie? They're probably thinking its an AUDITION and there is no harm in seeing how she does.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Videos