pixeltracker

Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!- Page 3

Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:10am

Great. Because I also want to have her sign my "Collage" CD that I recently got.

How was Chris Mcdonald as Billy?? Any good?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#51re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:13am

eh...he was ok. i don't think he really looked the part, but his acting and voice were fine for the role. the evening was all about brooke and debra for me...and i was very pleased with luba...she is a real talent!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#52re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:14am

Great to hear. Thanks for answering all my questions!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#53re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:31am

YAY for Brooke and Debra, they have so much to offer to Broadway and to this show. How was Brooke's "Funny Honey"? Many actresses sing this song in different ways. What about her Roxie monologue? Some Roxies overplay it more than they should. I'm not even going to ask about Debra because whatever she does is impeccable acting.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

WithoutATrace
#54re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:39am

Funny Honey was fabulous. Brooke's "Now he shot off his trap, I can't stand that sap. Look at him go rat ratting on me..." was wonderful. It was great when she went from loving her husband to hating him just because he told the cops the truth about Fred Casely.

Her Roxie monologue was fine. She had lots of practice doing this in the London run so I expected it to be good. The audience ate it up...they loved her.

Updated On: 9/11/05 at 01:39 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#55re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:46am

oh my god,WithoutATrace you are so awesome, thanks for responding to all our questions about Brooke's performance. The shift from loving wife to psycho bitch in "Funny Honey" is key to Roxie's character, it's awesome Brooke nailed it! Thanks again.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

WithoutATrace
#56re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:51am

no problem...glad i was still awake to answer them

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 11:57am

I forgot to ask!

Was it a packed house?

WithoutATrace
#58Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 12:42pm

it was completely sold out...i got a standing room ticket at 6:15PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#59Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 12:52pm

I'm glad it was sold out.

Do you know if they are still doing a Rush for Brooke's run?

WithoutATrace
#60Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:03pm

yes, i believe they are still doing student rush for the run. Brooke is only in the show until October 30th...very limited run. Go see it everyone!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#61Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 8:50pm

I forgot to ask!

Did Brooke do the cartwheel? I know Luba dosen't do it. So was it taken out completely? Because Brooke did it in London.

WithoutATrace
#62Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 8:51pm

honestly, i don't remember seeing a cartwheel...i think it was taken out.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#63Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 8:56pm

Just because I'm a Chicago fanatic, and I love knowing everything.

Who was conducting? Was it Leslie the female conductor? Or was it a male conductor?

WithoutATrace
#64Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 9:40pm

female conductor

PJ
#65Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 9:49pm

I tried student rush for this evening's performance. Completely sold out. Dammit.

WithoutATrace
#66Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 9:51pm

sorry you didn't get a ticket PJ...maybe try in the middle of the week...should be easier to get a ticket. did they have any standing room tickets left? or were you not willing to stand?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#67Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 9:54pm

Yes. Usually when a star is in Chicago. You have to get at the box office very early.

Last summer the crowds would line up for rush tickets prior to the opening of the box office, because of Paige Davis.

PJ
#68Brooke
Posted: 9/11/05 at 9:57pm

Well I'm a lazy college student who loves his sleep and only gets up in the mornings for class. So I may just have to keep trying my luck during the week.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#69Brooke
Posted: 9/12/05 at 12:36am

I'm a big fan of hers! I agree that she'd make a great Mama Rose, and She'll be great as Mama Morton too!!!!!!

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#70Debra Monk
Posted: 9/12/05 at 1:28am

LOVE Debra! Can she ever be crappy? I don't think so. I wish to god I had seen her in Assassins with Annie Golden! The original cast cd is so much better than the new one.

Also, I would like to see how Brooke does because I thought she tried real hard in Wonderful Town and worked her ass off. I was never a fan of hers, but now I feel like "Go, Brooke!" I like to root for the underdogs.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
Updated On: 9/13/05 at 01:28 AM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#71Debra Monk
Posted: 9/12/05 at 8:50pm

Anyone go last night? Or found any pics of Debra as Mama?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#72Debra Monk
Posted: 9/19/05 at 4:11pm

I saw the show yesterday, and it's in great shape. Debra Monk is probably the best Mama I've ever seen. She's very funny and soulful; tough as nails but a total earth mother at the same time. Her "When You're Good to Mama" brought the house down and she was hilarious during "Class".

Brooke Shields is a truly wonderful Roxie. She and Luba have terrific chemistry. She really nailed "Funny Honey", playing both the comedy and the sheer rage (something a few recent Roxies have been unable to do). Her best stage performance yet, by far.

Luba Mason is the most kinetic Velma Kelly I've seen since Bebe. She owns the stage from the moment she makes that fabulous entrance and gets the crowd going with "All That Jazz". She glided through "I Can't Do It Alone" and was so perfect during "I Know a Girl". The only quip I have with her is that sometimes, when she delivers her dialogue, she sounds like a Midwestern housewife who has had one too many at Ladies Night.

(An aside: Luba Mason is so gorgeous and stunning it should be illegal. I would give anything for one date with her! Debra Monk)

Christopher McDonald sings fine. Not excellent, not terrible. A passable performance. PJ Benjamin was very funny as Amos and R. Lowe had the crowd roaring as Mary Sunshine.

Anyway, 8 years later, Chicago is still tops!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#73Debra Monk
Posted: 9/19/05 at 4:15pm

Yay. Great review, MEF.

I've heard Brooke gives one of the most original "Roxie" Monologues in a long time. Did you like it?

WithoutATrace
#74Debra Monk
Posted: 9/19/05 at 4:16pm

totally agree with you about Debra, Brooke and Christopher...he was just passable. There was really nothing too special about his performance as Billy Flynn. excellent review!

Videos