Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#0Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 9:53am

Now I DEFINITELY have to see Chicago again! A big huzzah to one of Broadway's finest!
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/94318.html

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#1re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 9:57am

she is GREAT! anything she does is worth seeing repeatedly. i really wish she could have played Rose in Gypsy. perhaps she will sometime and i'll be lucky enough to be there!

Mind is Mantra.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 9:57am

I must say. I am glad the Weissler's are finally getting new actors for the roles. For a while they were juse reusing actors in and out, in and out.

I am going back this fall for Brooke, so Debra should be great.

melissa errico fan
#3re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 9:59am

Some of my London friends have told be that Brooke is really good as Roxie, so I was going back to see the show anyway. This only sweetens the pot!

Garland Grrrl-She would make a brilliant Rose indeed!

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#4re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:06am

Is there a period of time Huey Lewis and Brooke overlap? I'd like to see them both.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:08am

^ If Brooke renews (Which I think she might) They will definitely be in it together.

This is exciting. New Velma (Luba) New Roxie (Brooke) New Billys (Chris, who is in now, and Huey coming) New Mama (Debra)

Now all we really need is a new Amos! PJ has been in and out for too long.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:15am

A visit to CHICAGO is in order for Rath!! Debra RULES.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:17am

Love her. I even forgive her for Company.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#8re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:17am

ooo I adore Debra. I am even willing to sit through a Brooke Shields performance to see her. That says a lot.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#9re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:33am

It's wonderful casting, I'm sure she'll be terrific.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#10re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:39am

Now I want Ragu.

melissa errico fan
#11re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:46am

Well, Bobby, if you're good to Meffie, Meffie's good ta you!

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#12re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:54am

Debbie will DEFINITELY kick a** on Mama. I wish Bill Irwin would drop in as Amos. I think he would kill that role, too.

". . . POP . . ."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:55am

Spice it up for Meffie. He'll get hot for you!

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#14re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:55am

Ahhhhhhhh! I can't wait to see her Mama--she's going to be fierce!

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

Hanna from Hamburg
#15re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 10:57am

Yeah, I've seen Chicago 3 or 4 times and I might consider going back to see Debbie and Brooke.

". . . POP . . ."

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#16re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 12:00pm

It's about time they called her. I only wish it was for Mama Rose, not Mama Morton. This woman deserves a bigger and better role. She will be great, though.

PEACE.

Hanna from Hamburg
#17re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 12:05pm

She needs to create something new again. She's AMAZINGLY talented and BRILLIANT and should be creating instead of re-creating. Nevertheless, I'm sure she'll bring a fresh spin to the role.

". . . POP . . ."

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#18re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 12:07pm

My feelings exactly, Hanhah. But until then, take what you can.

PEACE.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#19re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 12:22pm

Everytime I watch that Divas CD that joeyjoe has, and she sings "Everybody's Girl" from Steel Pier, I laugh hysterically - she is just such a good comedienne. She will make a great Moma Morton.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 12:24pm

I love her "Everybody's Girl". Truly great.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#21re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 12:35pm

That was one of the highlights of Steel Pier, along with Karen's performance and, of course, Kristin's showstopping bridal number.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Hanna from Hamburg
#22re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 12:42pm

I can't understand why we haven't seen more of Debra . . . she has all the right connections (Susan Strohman, Stephen Sondheim, Lanford Wilson, Tony Award . . . ). VERY versatile actress, AMAZING musician (many singers are not musicians), WONDERFULLY nice person . . . I could go on and on. Marc Shaiman, if you're lurking, write something for this diva to perform!!!!!

LOL

". . . POP . . ."

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#23re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 1:13pm

She was even good in the train wreck known as "Thou Shalt Not."

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#24re: Debra Monk to play Mama Morton!
Posted: 8/1/05 at 1:25pm

I have never seen Debra Monk live and I am so excited to see Chicago for the 3rd time this fall. Should be a great experience.

Videos