pixeltracker

"but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre"- Page 3

"but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre"

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#50re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:45am

People, this person's favorite shows are JCS, Bare and Rent. You can gauge his cultural and intellectual level (or lack of) based on these shows. Plus I don't believe he visits SF/LA on his line of work either.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#51re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:46am

Perhaps, if we ignore Obnoxious's obnoxious comments, he will disappear into the limbo in which he existed prior to 12/23. It's posters like Obnoxious who make those of us who take this board seriously wonder why we even bother. You've been here five days and have already overstayed your welcome.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#52re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:54am

best12bars - perhaps you can recite those Last Rights again...

and just to have us fully covered I've got the mourner's prayer ready in Hebrew as well.

Yis'ga'dal v'yis'kadash sh'may ra'bbo, b'olmo dee'vro chir'usay v'yamlich malchu'say, b'chayaychon uv'yomay'chon uv'chayay d'chol bais Yisroel, ba'agolo u'viz'man koriv; v'imru Omein.
Y'hay shmay rabbo m'vorach l'olam ul'olmay olmayo.
Yisborach v'yishtabach v'yispoar v'yisromam v'yismasay, v'yishador v'yis'aleh v'yisalal, shmay d'kudsho, brich hu, l'aylo min kl birchoso v'sheeroso, tush'bechoso v'nechemoso, da,ameeran b'olmo; vimru Omein.
Y'hay shlomo rabbo min sh'mayo, v'chayim alaynu v'al kol Yisroel; v'imru Omein.
Oseh sholom bimromov, hu ya'aseh sholom olaynu, v'al kol yisroel; vimru Omein.

Sorry, just a joke. Not intended to offend... Hi YWIW??, holidays are going just fine thanks :)

#53re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 4:35am

It's usually New Yorkers who spew vicous comments and the same old "no culture" BS venom toward LA. It's like the ones who do are programmed at birth to recite the same old insult over and over. Can't you celebrate your own city without pissing all over yourself to put down LA? Insecure much? Angelenos don't give a **** about the East Coast/West Coast rivalry but a lot of NY'ers absolutely LIVE to put down LA. It's creepy.

Updated On: 12/29/05 at 04:35 AM

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#54re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 10:51am

I had my first Latkes last night pop, tasty!

Actully, there are a decent number of folks from SF who have a similar detest of LA. There is almost a visceral reaction when you mention the city, and they make assumptions that LA = all of Southern California. Somehow the whole OC became part of LA, with no recognition of the difference between LA County, and LA City. But, God forbid you confuse SF proper with other Bay area cities, and off with your head. I love SF, but there have been a couple of parties where I just started giggling at another guests assumptions and incorrect generalization.

I have a feeling it is something similar to what some NY'ers have with LA.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#55re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 12:36pm

As someone from L.A. who has visited (and loved!) both New York and San Francisco, it does disturb me that we Angelinos can see the beauty and merits of those two cities, yet still love and choose to live here, but people from N.Y. and S.F. all too often seem incapable of understanding or appreciating the merits of our fair city. Going back to the original poster's subject line, I will grant that on a whole, Angelinos may well be less theater savvy than New Yorkers. However we do have a vibrant theater scene with hundreds and hundreds of small theaters, and as Broadwaybaby (Hi Michael!) has so aptly stated, superbly talented stars act for peanuts (and the joy of live theater) on our stages. Also, remember that the majority of working TV/movie actors, actors who make their living doing film and TV work, often find little artistic satisfaction in the small roles that pay the bills but don't fulfill them otherwise. So these talented (yet largely unknown) actors turn to Equity Waver productions, which offer them the opportunity to exercise their acting chops for hardly more than gas money. It's precisely because of the TV/film industry that our L.A. stages are brimming with talent!

#56re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 3:22pm

PS: Not all L.A. theater is made up of TV and Movie actors.

I had the great pleasure of performing a few years back with
TONY Award winners and Nominees (John Rubenstein,Jason Alexander,Robert Morse, Jane Lanier) here in Los Angeles.

Many Broadway vets have performed here over the years, some with great regularity. Witness the recent "Wild Party" with Jane Lanier and Valarie Pettiford, among others. Icould go on and on, but I too grow weary of this pointless arguement.

If you don't like L.A., we'll take up a collection, rent you a moving van and point you and it "East."

I heart L.A.

KatieLoeb
#57re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 4:14pm

Hey, I'm not usually on Broadwayworld, but I posted that comment. I was kidding, more accurately, being broad.

I moved to LA recently, and I don't like the city that much, so I was disappointed with the theatre there, but I was probably just being unfair. I'm actually rather encouraged by things like The Drowsy Chaperone at the Ahmanson and some really exciting things at the Mark Taper, like the new Mamet and Wilson plays that were there recently and the upcoming Cherry Orchard. Anyway, I thought I'd just let you guys know I wasn't serious, and no offense was meant.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#58re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 4:24pm

Katie, glad to hear that you were just kidding. Well, Ahmanson and Mark Taper are not necessary present truly great stuff all the time (especially they got a new Artistic Director this season). But if you haven't signed up Goldstar Event yet, do so immediately because you'll find out many great mid size to small theatres in L.A. area. Hey I don't live in So Cal but still get to see some great shows there via Goldstar.

I can't wait to see the Old Globe's new show next month!

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#59re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 4:55pm

re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'

I have taken the liberty of compiling a list that constitutes about 10-20% of the shows that are opening in LA in January. I picked shows that I PERSONALLY thought would be of interest to people on the board. Any omissions were not intentional. As you can see, it's an embarassment of riches...

Two Pianos Four Hands -- two actors, two pianos and many, many characters grace the stage as fifteen years of learning the art of piano playing unfolds in an hour and a half. This riotous musical begins with young Richard – "Richy" - being told he is too young to play the pedal. So begins the journey of these two boys – “Richard and Ted” – in search of their dream of concert pianist stardom. 1/3 (opens 1/7) - 2/5 at the Laguna Playhouse. www.lagunaplayhouse.com

Southern Baptist Sissies -- The Zephyr Theatre opens "A Season of Shores" with a revival of its most successful play. Ted Detwiler, Leslie Jordan, Newell Alexander, Rosemary Alexander, Scott Presley, Joe Patrick Ward, and Dale Dickey reprise their roles. From 1/6 (opens 1/13). AND, the play will be made into a feature film next year www.seasonofshores.com

The Further Adventures of Hedda Gabler -- By Jeff Whitty. World Premiere. Directed by Bill Rauch. 1/8-29. At Argyros Stage at South Coast Rep. www.scr.org

Permanent Collection -- Center Theatre Group presents the Robey Theatre Company and Greenway Arts Alliance production of Thomas Gibbons’s play. The drama unfolds as an African-American businessman who has risen through the ranks of the corporate world is chosen to be the new president of a fine arts museum. In the first few days at his new job, he decides to change the public exhibits of a revered collection of Impressionist paintings by adding some priceless works of African art. 1/8 (opens 1/15) - 2/12 at the Kirk Douglas. www.taperahmanson.com

Diva -- by Howard Michael Gould. An explosively funny opening sets the stage for this behind-the-scenes look at television's most egomaniacal diva. When the dust settles, we travel back in time to discover how hidden relationships and other surprises brought this sitcom star and her producer to the breaking point. 1/13 (opens 1/20) - 2/19 at the Pasadena Playhouse. www.pasadenaplayhouse.org

The Importance of Being Earnest -- A new production of Oscar Wilde’s comedy, in a pre-Broadway engagement. Starring Lynn Redgrave, Miriam Margolyes and Terence Rigby 1/17 (opens 1/22) - 3/5 at the Ahmanson. www.taperahmanson.com

Judy at the Stonewall Inn -- Most historians believe the Stonewall Riots were started by a drag queen on the day of Judy Garland’s funeral in New York. In Judy At The Stonewall Inn, the playwright makes him the world’s WORST Judy Drag Queen – and brings back the ghost of the REAL JUDY to ruffle his skirts! Opening 1/20 at the Celebration Theatre. www.celebrationtheatre.org

bash -- By Neil LaBute -- a triptych of one-act monologues in which four contemporary, average-seeming characters confess to terrible crimes worthy of Greek tragedy. 1/20-2/26 at the Odyssey Theatre. 310 477 2055

City of Angels -- Cy Coleman, David Zippel and Larry Gelbart’s detective themed musical come to Reprise. Starring Stephen Bogardus as Stine, Burke Moses as Stone, Tami Tappan Damiano as Gabby/Bobbi, Kevin Earley as Jimmy Powers, Vicki Lewis as Donna/Oolie and Alli Mauzey as Mallory/Avril. 1/24-2/5. www.reprise.org

The Last Five Years -- Jason Robert Brown stars as Jamie in his 2-person relationship musical. Reprise’s Marvelous Musical Mondays. 1/30 at the Freud at UCLA. 310/825-2101

Boston Marriage -- The LA premiere of of this drawing room comedy -- caustically witty with sexual innuendo. Written and directed by David Mamet. 1/31-3/12 at the Geffen Playhouse. www.geffenplayhouse.com

***Listings courtesy of Sharon Perlmutter, Talking Broadway***
(see link below)

Talking Broadway- Upcoming Shows in LA

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Fosse76
#60re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 5:11pm

"LA has more theatre than any other American city except NYC. On most weekends there are over 120 plays and shows in LA."

Actually, Chicago, Toronto and London have more than LA.

YouWantitWhen????
#61re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 5:46pm

Fosse,

I don't have the information to refute or agree with that statement. But, was wondering if you are considering LA to be LA City, LA County, or Southern California, which would include the OC and parts of Ventura?

Just curious.

hateobnoxiousteens
#62re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:47pm

You people are the saddest bunch of people on this board, I'm having a great time cos you're still talking about me! You've taken every bait I put out there, and it's your holier than thou attitude that has led to insults and bullsh*t. And sorry I'm not going anywhere, you're so easily riled, New Yorkers aren't.

"Who doesn't hate teens that are obnoxious" - A.P.

hateobnoxiousteens
#63re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:50pm

hey lite2shine - im a filmmaker and am in LA and SF for about 5 months out of the year sorry I don't go gaga over the majority of sh*tty musicals out there, but I give em a chance I see them, in NYC not some lame touring group.

hateobnoxiousteens
#64re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:52pm

eslgr8 - I take this board seriously and have many thoughtful interchanges with people on many threads, this one however is filled with people like you that solely speak out of defenses and ENVY.

hateobnoxiousteens
#65re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:56pm

YouWantItWhen??? - I'm high on life and ALWAYS entertaining.

YouWantitWhen????
#66re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/29/05 at 7:33pm

Good. I am glad we have so fulfilled your destiny. Now make yourself useful and pass me some yogurt someone.

Peach yogurt, yep that sounds delish right now. Maybe I will even have two, just to make sure I get enough culture.

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#67re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 1/1/06 at 11:39pm

To support Fosse, and without intent to threadjack from the highly amusing hissy fits thrown by Obnoxious and the actual debate itself, while LA and surroundings may have more than Chicago, Toronto, and London overall, though I'm not sure that it does, those three are known to have a higher theater to population ratio than LA. And I personally throw my lot in with the pro-LA bunch, though I find it interesting that other truly influential theater cities have been barely mentioned besides LA and NY such as the three above...I suppose it comes with the nature of the thread. Oh well. Back to the amusing antics of Hateobnoxiousteens versus the world.

aegeusrocks
#68re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 1/1/06 at 11:41pm

To support Fosse, and without intent to threadjack from the highly amusing hissy fits thrown by Obnoxious and the actual debate itself, while LA and surroundings may have more than Chicago, Toronto, and London overall, though I'm not sure that it does, those three are known to have a higher theater to population ratio than LA. And I personally throw my lot in with the pro-LA bunch, though I find it interesting that other truly influential theater cities have been barely mentioned besides LA and NY such as the three above...I suppose it comes with the nature of the thread. Oh well. Back to the amusing antics of Hateobnoxiousteens versus the world.

aegeusrocks
#69re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 1/1/06 at 11:41pm

::Edit:: Dear god, sorry for the triple post. My damn comp wasn't responding. Updated On: 1/1/06 at 11:41 PM

ghostlight2
#70re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 1/2/06 at 12:10am

Best12 and popular? It's last rites. Not rights.

No doubt NYC is superior to LA in theatre. Doesn't mean they're not good too.

As for obnoxious? Just look at the name....tells you everything,doesn't it?

YouWantitWhen????
#71re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 1/2/06 at 12:39am

I wouldn't doube the accuracy of Fosse's post, especially if it is based upon the City of LA.

I was just curious on whether the demographics was on the actual city of LA or the SoCal region.

One of the blessings and curses of this area is that you are not, by definition stuck indoors for the elements. I would tend to agree on that if you take the people involved, that the portion in LA that goes to live theater may be smaller than as compared to other cities. That is not addressing the quality of the shows, but the demographics of who can afford to attend. You are talking about a huge, multi-cultural demograph literally spread out of probably a 100 miles, easy. Couple that with a location that does not need indoor venues to protect its residents from the elements.

I have tried to get friends to go to shows, and their response on a beautiful saturday was to go roller-skating down venice bike path because the weather was so mild, and the sighs on the path so amusing.

Why do you think we don't have a pro-football team yet? Just too many things to do.

Updated On: 1/2/06 at 12:39 AM

aegeusrocks
#72re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 1/2/06 at 2:07am

::shrugs:: Usually the surrounding areas are included in these sorts of figures, I believe they are in mine, but I have no clue about Fosse's.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#73re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 1/2/06 at 3:08am

When I write about L.A. theater, I'm considering anything within a reasonable driving distance. Because I'm an L.A. native who doesn't mind driving the freeways, so long as I can avoid traffic, I consider anything within a one hour radius part of the L.A. theater scene. I will happily drive to Orange County, the West Side, the San Fernando Valley, even an occasional trip to Ventura in order to sample the riches of L.A. theater. In fact, plays from all these areas are eligible for the L.A. Ovation Awards (of which I am a voter this year) and we are expected to be willing to travel well out of our neighborhoods and see plays in as many different areas as possible.

I cannot speak about other great theater cities in the U.S. Certainly Chicago has a fantastic reputation, as does Minneapolis, and I'm sure their reputations are justified. But the physical size of the L.A./Orange County metropolitan area makes me doubt that someone living in Chicago or Minneapolis can have as many theater choices as I do in L.A.

In any case, for me the purpose of this thread is not for those of us who live in L.A. to defend ourselves against the East Coasters but rather to educate those who may be ill informed, or perhaps too blinded by their prejudices to fairly judge our city's theatrical wealth.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#74re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 1/2/06 at 4:30pm

"In any case, for me the purpose of this thread is not for those of us who live in L.A. to defend ourselves against the East Coasters but rather to educate those who may be ill informed, or perhaps too blinded by their prejudices to fairly judge our city's theatrical wealth."

Fair enough, Eslgr8. I just didn't want to give obnoxious the pleasure of seeing this thread thrive but your efforts deserve to be rewarded. Thanks for always keeping us up to date on what's going here. No matter what area people seem to be discussing, you seem to have it covered!

Videos