pixeltracker

"but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre"

"but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre"

gavrochegirl
#0"but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre"
Posted: 12/26/05 at 2:05pm

Seriously?

http://www.livejournal.com/community/broadway/1635524.html

Scroll down to the comments. The quote is there. You can be anoyomous and comment back as well.

Plus, there's a bad review of The Drowsy Chaperone there too, if you want to read and comment on that.

What the puck?!
Updated On: 12/26/05 at 02:05 PM

#1re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 2:33pm

Oh really? I wouldn't say "no one". I think I know a good deal about theatre. However, you can say that most people in LA don't know about theatre as much as, let's say, NYC. :)

~Rosalynn

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#2re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 2:42pm

Them be fightin' words! But I'll save my strength for a real challenge... that's just a poor misinformed wannabe critic talking big on an insignificant live journal. Why fan his flames with comments when it's so obvious that his fire will fizzle out on it's own just as quickly as it started?
Updated On: 12/26/05 at 02:42 PM

#3re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 8:57pm

Especially since he has enabled anonymous posts, meaning only his lame-ass journal friend can even respond.

I think LA will soon be the new frontier theater-wise, as more and more, Broadway is forced to pander to the tourists for survival. We have a huge region in Southern California that is capable of supporting theater and has been getting some pretty good stuff, both old and new:

Ahmanson
Mark Taper Forum
Pantages series
Kodak Theater (on occasion)
Pasadena Playhouse
La Jolla Playhouse
Laguna Playhouse
The Geffen
South Coast Rep
The many Civic Light Operas
Reprise!/UCLA
MTG
Long Beach
The Falcon
NoHo Arts District (tons of small good theater companies)
The Hudson Mainstage
The Colony
Actors Coop
Actors Rep
Knightsbridge THeater Company
Chromolume Theater Co.
San Diego Old Globe
Orange County Performing Arsts Center
Pepperdine University

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Joe Mike2
#4re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 8:59pm

Right on, Singing Backup!!!

#5re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 9:03pm

interesting that they would say that since i have probably seen and done more theatre than their idiotic minds can handle.

EDIT: .. i live in LA Updated On: 12/26/05 at 09:03 PM

hateobnoxiousteens
#6re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 9:05pm

From living in LA SF and NYC (born and raised) I have to say the title of your post says it all. Most in LA know sh*t about theatre the lack of culture of Southern California especially is unforgivable. Hell LA is the city that has to make a place "look" like a dive bar to be a dive bar, nothing authentic. Plastic Passion puts it best.

"Who doesn't hate teens that are obnoxious" - A.P.

gavrochegirl
#7re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 9:15pm

*sigh*

Where's elsgr when you need him?

What the puck?!

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#8re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 10:57pm

I live in San Diego, and I must say, I really don't know if L.A. theatregoers know anything about theatre. But any city that houses The Drowsy Chaperone is ok in my book.

P.S. I have actually been going to quite a few shows in L.A. these past months, and the quality has been very good. It's a fine replacement for people who live on the west coast.

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#9re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:20pm

Theatre is a way of communication, all nations share the art of drama.

...damn that was deep.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#10re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:23pm

...damn that was funny.

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#11re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:26pm

My drama teacher gets to me sometimes, what can i say.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#12re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:26pm

I know I'm ridiculous at times... but it just seemed so appropriate for this thread I had to cut and paste from a Q&A Stephanie did a while back. Being from L.A. myself, her answer to the NY vs L.A. thing really stuck in my mind.

Question: I know you're from Southern California & I am too. Los Angeles seems to get an unfair reputation sometimes for its lack of "legitimate" theater. Do you think it's accurate? What needs to be done to change the public's perception?

Stephanie: I think your perception is VERY accurate. There is a real bias in NYC in regards to theatre actors in LA. LA "is" TV and film and NYC "is" stage. I know and have worked with sooo many talented, theatre actors in Southern CA. In fact, I respect them so much because these LA actors are in it because they love it...not for the money, not for a Tony Award, because they are passionate about live theatre. We (I include myself in the LA community) are willing to drive 60 miles each way, to a 99 seat theatre and build the sets and costumes ourselves for a run that is going to last for about 3 weekends. How can you not honor that commitment and hard work!?

EDIT TO ADD: that wasn't me who asked her that :) Updated On: 12/26/05 at 11:26 PM

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#13re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:33pm

I live in LA and I think I am in the minority when it comes to knowing current Broadway actors, actresses and shows. People here usually only know about a show when it his phenom status or comes to LA on the national tour. For example, when I saw the Producer's movie with my friend I pointed out cameos by Debra Monk, Karen Ziemba, Andrea Martin and she was like "who?" Another person thought Jason Alexander and Martin Short were part of the original cast of the Producers as was Neil Patrick Harris in Rent.

My boyfriend is an actor so at least when I hang out with him and his actor friends they most of the time know who or what I am talking about.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

hateobnoxiousteens
#14re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:40pm

The Tony Awards is such a small part of the theatre community and such a small motivator for the actors who are in the plethora of plays that are available to see in NYC, down in the Lower East Side, The Village, I'm not just talking about Broadway. The passionate, and also the amazingly trained talent in NYC for acting on stage far surpasses LA. Acting classes in LA are dominated by Acting for TV/Film classes. Where acting for stage which prepares you for acting on Film dominates NYC.

"Who doesn't hate teens that are obnoxious" - A.P.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#15re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/26/05 at 11:40pm

I don't think you have to recognize people's names and be able to list off their past work to know good theater. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they were talking mostly about being able to recognize and respect the quality of the show, not necessarily the performers in it.

Obnoxious - you fail to take into account that all locations have good and bad schools. Training is important, but so is experience, and you're naive if you think L.A. doesn't have performers with both those things under their belt. Updated On: 12/26/05 at 11:40 PM

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#16re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 12:39am

It's almost as bad as saying that no one knows about theater unless you live in NYC. I am from Houston and have a great deal of friends who know a lot about theater. And also don't some shows start out in California before moving to Broadway? Isn't that what happened with Wicked?

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#17re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 3:00am

Well the major focus in L.A. is the TV and film industry, that's for sure. But there are hundreds of theatre productions going on in Southern Cal too, check this out: http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=206494

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#18re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 3:09am

I wouldn't dignify that trashy website by posting a comment. But here I'll say: Anyone who says that no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre" is an idiot, pure and simple.
Updated On: 12/27/05 at 03:09 AM

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#19re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 3:12am

Thank you Singing Backup for that excellent list of local theaters. I defy anyone to back up a claim that there is another metropolitan area in the U.S. with a greater number of theaters, a greater number of ongoing productions at any one time, and a better theater bargain, thanks to sites like goldstarevents and lastagtix.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#20re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 3:12am

that's just what I was thinking when I posted my first comment on this thread. Well said!

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#21re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 3:21am

Sorry it took me a while to defend my city. I was actually out at the movies tonight, finally seeing Pride and Prejudice which I loved loved loved! I will have seen 208 (or is it 209) productions by December 30, and all but a handful have been in the L.A. Metropolitan area.
As an Ovation Voter, I've seen the following shows just since September 1. I can't reveal my scores, but I can say that the greater part of them were very good to excellent productions, in my humble opinion, with only a few dogs (I guess I avoid things I'm pretty sure I'll dislike).
A total of 43 plays, of which 21 were in 99 seat (or less) theaters:
A DR. JEUSS CHRISTMAS
ALL WEAR BOWLERS
BARBRA’S WEDDING
BEGGARS IN THE HOUSE OF PLENTY
BUNBURY
CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
CITY OF ANGELS
DEAD END
EQUUS
FOUR
HAYWIRE
HONOUR
HOW OUR INLAWS RUINED OUR WEDDING
IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE
J.O.B. THE HIP-HOPERA
JERUSALEM
LEWIS AND CLARK REACH THE EUPHRATES
LOVE! VALOUR! COMPASSION!
MOTHER COURAGE AND HER CHILDREN
NINE PARTS OF DESIRE
OPEN WINDOW
PICNIC
R0MANCE
REGRETROSEXUAL
REQUIEM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT
SISTER’S CHRISTMAS CATECHISM
STEW RICE
TEA AT FIVE
THE BLUE DAHLIA
THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV
THE DROWSY CHAPERONE
THE FAIR MAD OF THE WEST PARTS 1 & 2
THE FOREIGNER
THE GODFADDA WORKOUT
THE GRAND TOUR
THE KING AND I
THE MASTER BUILDER
THE PASSION OF THE CRAWFORD
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
THE TURN OF THE SCREW
THE WILD PARTY
TICK…TICK…BOOM!
TRUMBO

As an Angelino, I'm damn proud of this list! Updated On: 12/27/05 at 03:21 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#22re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 10:19am

They also mentioned that the choreography for Drowsy was "uncreative."

This person knows sh*t about L.A. AND theatre in general.

I have nothing further to say here. It would be a waste of typing.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/27/05 at 10:19 AM

touchmeinthemorning
#23re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 10:24am

I don't think you have to look very far to see that most of the up-and-coming actors are LA transplants. LA is a GREAT breeding ground for huge talent.

I mean, this is the place that both Stephanie Block AND Eden Espinosa worked most of their stage lives.

Not to even MENTION the LA actors who are currently working on and off Bway.

Frankly, I don't know of any other city (save NYC) that has more stage talent.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#24re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'
Posted: 12/27/05 at 11:30pm

And also don't some shows start out in California before moving to Broadway? Isn't that what happened with Wicked?

Yes, and Lennon, and La Bohème, and now Lestat -- but SF is not LA. And if you try to liken SF to LA, we rebel and then talk about wine and baseball teams. re: 'but no one in L.A. knows sh*t about theatre'

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos