ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/10/06 at 8:43pm

lalal double post. gwen verdon forever. lala Updated On: 3/10/06 at 08:43 PM

jewelchk
#51re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/10/06 at 9:14pm

My HS did Into the Woods, and that worked pretty well for a sizely cast because it has a lot of different leads. I personally don't like it, but Working is another show a lot of schools can do because it has a lot of parts. I agree with the people who said Ragtime as another excellent suggestion because, though it's a little long, I think it benefits from having a big chorus on top of having a lot of principle and secondary characters.

"I thought that that was just going to be a like one shot deal for me, you know, but they kept talking about it like, 'when we do the production, when we do the production', and I was like, 'yes, yes, when you do the production, cool, I will come and see it'". - John Gallagher Jr. on SA

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#52re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/11/06 at 8:00pm

My intention was not to malign your particular high school. For all I know you guys do fantastic work and have a talent pool overflowing at all grade levels. But I cover a lot of school productions and have seen enough to know that there is a huge difference between those that attract a lot of performers and those that are always spreading talent thin. That doesn't just apply to the freshman-senior debate, but to the male-female one as well. There are many schools that have trouble pulling off a variety of shows because they don't attract/have enough talented guys interested in participating, and there are those that have more amazing guys than they know what to do with. My point was that the shows that have the most to work with and choose from also have the best chance of pulling off more difficult/daring work.

camfatkin_ Profile Photo
camfatkin_
#53re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/11/06 at 8:55pm

thanks for all your imputs!
does anybody know if barry manilowss copacabana is any good? its a name being thrown around and...it doesnt sound very goood but i could be wrong.
also...are the rights to whistle down the wind available?

PirelisMiracleElixir
#54re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/11/06 at 9:35pm

I don't think that for Sweeney Todd, it is a question of the theme being to mature, but rather the dedication of the performers. IF they can embody the characters, than more power to them. It can be done as a minimalist production or big budget. MY high school did it about 10 years ago with great sucess...I don't see why schools would have a heavy amount of troube...I mean, by now everyone's done Les Miserables, and that takes a great deal more musical talent than Sweeney...from the pit and the performers.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#55re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/11/06 at 10:04pm

Les Mis harder than Sweeney?

Sweeney is known to be one of the hardest Broadway scores to perform ever. It is quite crazy.

zannadont
#56re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/11/06 at 10:27pm

Everybody's doing Urinetown. It's rediculous! But that's not a very large cast either.

thez914 Profile Photo
thez914
#57re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/11/06 at 10:44pm

Oh man...this is just my opinion, but I would stay as far away from Copacabana the Musical as you can. I saw the tour and the script is pretty laughable. I can't even remember most of it...though I think there's some good ensemble numbers that take place in Grand Central Station and Havana, but other than that it's kind of lame. But then, you have the title song to work with, and who doesn't love that?!

hey ljay...keep in mind that when most people go to see a high school musical, they know that the students are going to be playing characters outside of their age range dealing with material that is probably more mature than they can handle, no matter WHAT musical they are doing. If a high school can get away with doing a show and not be berated by the parents, than I say go for it. Many schools play down the scandalous moments (i.e. not having half naked dancers) to accomodate the audience - not because the students can't handle the material.

"Art is always in crisis: you must work fast to write in the breath on the window." -Edward Bond
Updated On: 3/11/06 at 10:44 PM

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#58re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/11/06 at 11:58pm

My school is getting ready to Open HELLO, DOLLY right now. It's incredible, but you really need to have LOTS of space and a VERY dedicated crew.

camfatkin_ Profile Photo
camfatkin_
#59re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/13/06 at 2:52pm

we did hello dolly 2 years ago it was so fun!

Jud Faginsky
#60re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/13/06 at 6:16pm

My son's high school did Footloose. Big cast, and most are supposed to be teenagers, so that worked really well.

camfatkin_ Profile Photo
camfatkin_
#61re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/14/06 at 1:02pm

well my dad just ordered a couple things to look at.
he ordered pippin
7 brides for 7 brothers
AIDA

im hoping he likes aida.

outovfashion07
#62re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/14/06 at 2:14pm

We just finished Oklahoma! (blah) and next year we are doing, Hair (<-- it will be amazing)

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#63re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/14/06 at 3:49pm

Aida can be a great show at the high school level if you've got that a handful of performers with the right ranges (Aida, Amneris, Radames, Zoser). And unlike a lot shows you don't really need any standout talent beyond that. Nehebka, Mereb, Amonasro, and Pharaoh are relatively small, undemanding parts. On top of that, the music is great and teenagers really love performing it, so that excitement tends to translate into a fun evening for the audience too.

musicguy Profile Photo
musicguy
#64re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 5:25am

you should do Movin' Out

camfatkin_ Profile Photo
camfatkin_
#65re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:16pm

movin out is the billy joel one right? is it even available?

elphaba432 Profile Photo
elphaba432
#66re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 5/19/06 at 6:13pm

I recommend 'Grease.' The Middle School in my town did it and it was really good.

Just because I got the lead doesn't mean you can't be my understudy!:)
Updated On: 5/20/06 at 06:13 PM

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#67re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 5/19/06 at 7:05pm

Les Mis, Titanic, and Yeston/Kopit's Phantom are all very big ambitious shows....

WhenURScrap Profile Photo
WhenURScrap
#68re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 5/19/06 at 7:43pm

Pippin is a good HS musical if you cut out the keyhole scene.
Wizard of Oz
Grease
Over Here!
Wild Party re: musicals for a high school? Lippa's version
Joseph...
Children of Eden or Godspell if your school allows you
Brigadoon
Guys and Dolls
A HS just did Sound of Music in my area... heard it was good...
Into the Woods
A Funny thing Happend ...

Just don't do Company!

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#69re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 5/19/06 at 10:05pm

The Wild Party at a High School? o_0

I would just be thrilled if my school decided not to be so cheap and fork over a few thousand so we can get rights to a musical so that we can do something aside from Shakespeare. Although the administration likes to kill things because of content.

NathanLaneStalker
#70re: musicals for a high school?
Posted: 5/20/06 at 3:26am

I haven`t read any of these posts. I`m just naming some good ones that you won`t have to fight for.

You`re A Good Man Charlie Brown

Once Upon A Mattress

A Year With Frog and Toad (Highly reccomened this one!)

Grease

Into the Woods

Annie

Guys and Dolls

Barnum

George M! (VERY good one to do!!!!)

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

post more later

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Videos