News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assumes Role- Page 3

Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assumes Role

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#50re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 12:25pm

Cleo is the love interest of both Coyote(Arden) and the Captain(Sesma)so her age is not really imprtant.
Many people fall for people younger or older than themselves.
I really like the fact that this show let's the audience interpret a lot by themselves, The Music and Dancing and singing are terrific, just because you have not heard Arden sing Dylan before, don't worry.
He is vastly talented and he makes it his own.
If you see the show and don't like it, that's fine.
But if you have not seen it, don't assume.
I find it beautiful to watch and hear and I hope it finds an audience of it's own
Looking forward to seeing Lisa and what she brings to the role.

uwho
#51re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 4:37pm

Al Dente, You are calling the show a fiasco and don't think it can be saved and you haven't even seen it!?!?

uwho
#52re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 5:25pm

I apologize that was uncalled for. I get a little upset about the insensitivity here sometimes. Personally, I enjoyed the show and am looking forward to seeing it again.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#53re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 5:43pm

I'm really looking forward to Jason Wooten's take on Coyote. He's a great actor and singer.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#54re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 7:35pm

"Again, not having seen *THIS* incarnation"

I believe Al's seen this show out west.

uwho
#55re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 7:53pm

Don't review the NY show if you haven't seen it.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#56re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 8:06pm

Going by the story in Variety, this was also done during the previews of "Movin Out" that one of the leads was let go during previews.

So it seems to be on of the things that twarp (sp) does.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

SweMozArt
#57re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 8:10pm

I bet Tharp is spending a lot of time on messageboards such as this one during the preview process.
Updated On: 10/4/06 at 08:10 PM

HeyJayNYC Profile Photo
HeyJayNYC
#58re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/4/06 at 11:02pm

I just saw it. Lisa is AMAZING. LOVE her voice. She looks great...she IS the older woman to Michael, she's in with his father first. It works.
Their duets of "The Times They Are a Changin" and "Blowin in the Wind" are beautiful. She makes a so so role stand out.
My friend loved the show..I liked it...don't even try to figure it out just enjoy Michael Arden's amazing fantastic voice...I now officially "hate" him...kidding...he's awesome.
It is NOT "Movin' Out" though. It's Cirque Du Soleil..mixed with Dylan mixed with a run down circus on hash!
Having read that some people didn't care for CLM it's not a surprise that she was let go.
Lisa shines...as does Michael.
Many people seemed to be leaving and checking watches and cell phones. My friend thought it too short I thought it was just right.
So we'll see...."The Cast They are a Changin". I couldn't resist.

Updated On: 10/5/06 at 11:02 PM

Gothrockboheme Profile Photo
Gothrockboheme
#59re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/5/06 at 12:32am

I saw the show twice but apparently didn't see the same thing that everyone else did. Yes, the plot is trippy, but I don't think Twyla intended for people to "get" it. It's art. It's to be interpreted.
As for the cheesy animal costumes...I took it to show how rundown the circus was, how everyone was treated poorly, how they had little money until Coyote steps in...
Michael sang fantastically, but was just kind of there. Same face, same intention for every song.
Caren, however, had so much energy and presence. Everytime she was on stage, you just watched her. She made it very easy to believe that both father and son could be in love with her, which made even more understandable the war between the generations.
And yes, she's a belter. She's a phenomenal belter. And it's true, if the production team wanted a folk singer, they should have went with someone else from the beginning. But Caren used her own unique talents and she shined like the light she is. It's awful to let someone go so late in the game. I am sure Caren will find another way to break out very soon.

CurtainPullDowner
#60re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/5/06 at 12:47am

Good points Gothrock except that Arden is an actor and each song is different and he sings like an Angel.
and I liked Caren and she can take her Contract Buy out and produce an Album of her fantastic voice.
Best of Luck to Her.
Jenn Collela went straight to a lead in a new musical so
it's just a matter of timing and Perception.
and if the Producers thougt Jenn wasn't sexy enough they
need to put the put the crack pipe down.
I hope Twyla tightens up the pace and The Board gives this show the chance it Deserves.

Updated On: 10/5/06 at 12:47 AM

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#61re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/5/06 at 1:04am

It's Cirque du Soleil, I know that ones a hard one, but Michael isn't too hard.

Wow... last 3 posts... captilazation... eyes... hurt.

I'm so glad for Lisa, she's the only reason I saw the Woman in White and now it seems she'll be the only reason I'll see this as well. She is truly amazing.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

CurtainPullDowner
#62re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/5/06 at 1:17am

and I think Maggie of "Maggie's Farm"
is Coyote's lost Mother
so his attraction to Cleo
is formidable
so Lisa has that to play also
Captilazation be Damned.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#63re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/5/06 at 1:23am

I love sonnets

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Gothrockboheme Profile Photo
Gothrockboheme
#64re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/5/06 at 1:38am

I didn't take "Maggie" as a literal person, I thought they were just rising up against "The Man." See? All part of the fun of abstract interpretation.

Caren already has an album...it's called "8 @ the Shop" and it might still be available on cdbaby.com :)

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#65re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/5/06 at 10:04am

UWHO, I have seen the show and it's in a great deal of trouble with or without a new female lead.

CurtainPullDowner
#66re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/5/06 at 10:44am

Well the audiences I saw it with would disagree
and that's what Art is about.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#67re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/7/06 at 8:26pm

Saw Lisa Brescia in this show this afternoon and thought she was incredible...a huge improvement over Caren Lyn Manuel. Lisa is gorgeous, her voice is wonderful and she was actually acting through the songs and making the best of this underwritten role. I love this woman so much and feel so bad because even with her presence in the show, the show itself is still awful. I hated it as much as I did last weekend. Yes, replacing Manuel was the right move, but it still won't save the show. I hope Lisa and Michael get good reviews for their voices and stage presence, but the show will get panned...and Twyla will probably take most of the blame. Good luck, Lisa Brescia. Hope this experience at least gets you cast in a better show in the future.

A total sweetheart at the stage door by the way...she recognized me from The Woman in White stage door last year and greeted me a huge hug. Also met her partner Craig Carnelia, who was very nice. An amazing woman. An amazing performer.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#68re: Manuel Exits The Times They Are A-Changin'; Standby Lisa Brescia Assume
Posted: 10/7/06 at 8:33pm

I guess I have to see this now

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Videos