pixeltracker

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast- Page 3

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#50re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:25pm

I think this is exciting.

I wouldn't cast Audra as Maggie. She's just too classy to me. Maggie should have some class, but I also think she should be a bit more obviously sexy and fiery.

Some ideas: Sharon Leal, Thandie Newton, Holly Robinson Peete, Tisha Campbell, Naomie Harris, Samaria Graham, Garcelle Beauvais, Kimberly Elise.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#51re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:25pm

Retakes.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#52re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:30pm

How is Erika Alexander onstage? I know she's done several things, but I've yet to catch her in anything.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#53re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:31pm

Is Beyonce still too young?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#54re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:31pm

oooh would love to see Thandie Newton's take on the role. I would cast Audra though simply to see what'd she'd do with it. She can do just about anything!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#55re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:34pm

can't wait for cast!

Updated On: 1/4/07 at 01:34 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#56re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:38pm

Who cares?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#58re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 2:44pm

Cannot is one word.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Fenchurch
#59re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 2:44pm

Thandie Newton, really?

Wasn't she the one who sucked soooo much in the sucky sucky Charade remake a few years back with Mark Wahlberg?

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#60re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 2:45pm

yeah but check her out in Crash and some of her other work.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#61re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 2:47pm

But does she have stage experience?

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#62re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 2:48pm

purpleprince, it just seems a bit premature to worry about the theater.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#64re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:25pm

I know a woman with a penis.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#65re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:26pm

But she's already doing a show -- that one where she sings "Fifty Percent," talks about her career and banters with Billy Goldenberg.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#66re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:28pm

Eff you, Calvin.

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#67re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:34pm

My only problem, I can't believe a black man would let himself be called "Skipper". Maybe Skipper is white and Brick is into some "strange".

And Chandra would take no prisoners as Mae.

Mind is Mantra.
Updated On: 1/5/07 at 03:34 PM

Garland Grrrl
#68re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

Do you want a separate "terlot" too, tobesureof?

You are one nasty troll.

Mind is Mantra.
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 03:34 PM

Garland Grrrl
#68re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

And don't put yourself in a "we" with me, sock puppet.
BTW: the only color that matters in show business is GREEN, and you can quote me.

Mind is Mantra.
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 03:34 PM

Fenchurch
#70re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:42pm

'The blacks have their plays and we have ours"

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Do you know see how that statement just REEKS of racism.
Separate but equal does not work,

There is not difference between a black person and a white person except in the color of their skin, that is what this whole thing is about.

I am constantly amazed at the litany of racist comments in the name of theatrical authenticity.

but no one had a problem with Natalie Wood as Maria (come on, people, I smell a double standard).

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#71re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:50pm

Wow. I thought that kind of thinking was "Gone With The Wind," pun intended. Them's fightin' words, Tobesureof. And, if I may be so rude, rather ignorant as well.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#72re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:51pm

Pay no attention to the puppet behind the sock.

Garland Grrrl
#73re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:54pm

Plenty of people had a problem w/ Natalie Wood as Maria, and Rita Moreno as Tuptim, and Laura San Giacomo had death threats (probably from Salma Hayak) when she was supposed to play Frida Kahlo.

Mind is Mantra.
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 03:54 PM

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#74re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:55pm

A few years ago Lloyd Richards tried to get an all-black "Cat on A Hot Tin Roof" produced on Broadway. He had actually cast Tonya Pinkins to play Maggie.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#75re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:55pm

If it's an all-black cast for this show, then it's a "concept show," and you don't to worry about historical accuracy or appropriateness. There is an understood, known "theatrical perspective" before you even walk through the door.

Personally, I think it's a GREAT idea, and some of the names mentioned in this thread get me really excited about the possibilities.

I would LOVE to see James Earl Jones as Big Daddy, Mary Alice as Big Mama (reuniting the Tony-winning "Fences" stars) and Halle Berry as Maggie... hot! Or how about Phylicia Rashad as Big Mama? Or Charles S. Dutton as Big Daddy?

I have no doubt that a glittering "box office friendly" cast could be assembled for this... and it would probably be a big highlight of the season.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Videos