pixeltracker

The Pirate Queen Snubbed- Page 3

The Pirate Queen Snubbed

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#50re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:24pm

And to think that people were speculating that Linda Balgord would be nominated.

VIETgrlTerifa
#51re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:27pm

Seriously...I think one person doesn't like a show and it infects the minds of so many others

Nice way to discredit those who actually had valid reasons for disliking it.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 01:27 PM

SorryGrateful
#52re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:51pm

Really, VIETgrl. I couldn't possibly have an opinion of my own based on my own thoughts.

queenbee2 wrote, "It was abundantly clear in the press and in the Broadway community since the show opened in Chicago that PQ was never going to be given any love or respect, and for whatever reason (rich producers, successful FRENCH composers, a distaste for this genre of musical...who knows?) that this show would have to fight an uphill battle from the get go."

Or maybe it's just a crappy show in a season where there were many better?...

ETF bad punc.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 01:51 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#53re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 2:28pm

Time to do Grace's "Told-you-so" dance.

bryan
#54re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:44pm

i hope it gets a full cast cd not just highlight cd.

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#55re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:28pm

I don't think anyone is jealous of the producers or the composers, the genre of music... I think the fact the show wasn't retooled as it should've to make it work on Broadway. I also do think the age of really big epic musicals with 80's sound music is long over. The show wasn't good in Chicago and the flaws weren't corrected by the time it opened on Broadway. There's no need to insult all of the people who made up their own minds by seeing the train wreck that is the PQ in action. I saw it enough times to see that it should've scored nods for costumes at least but the actors were all trashed, so what can they do just do their jobs until it closes.

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

SorryGrateful
#56re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:28pm

Can we all at least agree that the minute bryan starts asking for a cast recording for a show, said show is a flop?

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#57re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:31pm

sorrygrateful -- love it :)

The only award I could even see it even REMOTELY being worthy of being nominated for was costumes. The choreography was NOT that great -- in fact, the "choreographed" sword fight was pitiful and alone should have been enough for it to not get the nomination.

The show is a mess all over -- it didn't get nominated for anything because it didn't deserve it. It has nothing to do with anti-producers/writers/actors or anything - it's just a BAD show.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

p.s.
#58re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 9:13am

...and whilst the dancing was ok it was very repetitive as well as all been seen before.

Elizabeth's motto: "Semper Eadem" -- ever the same.

p.s. The producers would like all to take heed of the motto of the Order of the Garter: "Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense", which is Old French for "Shame upon him who thinks evil of it".

pps: This is true. The mottos are printed on the curtain.

ppps: You may need a map to locate them.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#59re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:32pm

VIETgrlTerifa and SorryGrateful that's NOT what I meant...

One person says they don't like it, and people who haven't even seen the show say "Oh that show sucks!" (it happens for ALL shows), preconceived notions...

Take my school. We saw the show in Chicago (and I had already seen it twice). There were like 40 theatre students there and the professors. Honest people would have pointed out things they liked and disliked and some may have even said they loved it. But one of our professors (whom everyone is pretty damn afraid of and he really does know EVERYTHING) was trashing it,so no one said anything to the opposite. Except me.

Nobody likes to disagree.

I did not say that there are people who just don't like the show. OF COURSE there are. There will always be people who hate shows. Goes without saying.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

SorryGrateful
#60re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 1:32pm

OK, I see your point now that you've clarified. It just came off as a bit snotty when you left it out there with nothing to qualify it.

"Nobody likes to disagree."

I disagree.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#61re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 1:49pm

I just saw PQ last week on the $35 Daily News promotion (and had fabulous center orchestra seats). I found the show to be not as bad as I had expected, but was glad I only spent $35. For $110, I would have felt completely ripped off. PQ never takes off; its so much of a mish-mosh. I couldn't stand Linda Balgord and her tweety bird voice, which I didn't think fit the character at all; I was not impressed with any of the men, and as for Stephanie ... she was fine, but like Laura Bell Bundy, I just don't see any charisma or star quality. She works very hard, but something is missing. Costumes were glorious, probably the best on Broadway right now, but other than that ... it was not snubbed ... it didn't deserve any awards or nominations. I felt like I was watching an excellent regional production, but in fact it was a mediocre Broadway production.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#62re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 2:56pm

"Costumes were glorious, probably the best on Broadway right now"

Obviously you haven't seen Spring Awakening. That's what I call impressive costumes.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#63re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:01pm

Funny
Tech

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#64re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:43pm

SorryGrateful--Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snotty!

and p.s. that cracked me up.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#65re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:25pm

I was hoping Linda Balgord would have gotten a nomination.

Was Hadley Fraser eligible?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 5/17/07 at 08:25 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#66re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:34pm

Fraser was eligible.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#67re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:37pm

Damn.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Videos