The Pirate Queen Snubbed

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#1The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:15pm

Woah, how insulting. I find it hard to believe that The Pirate Queen did not even manage one nomination. That's wrong. The show was great, it was visually stunning, the orchestration was great, and the talent was amazing.

What an insult to the cast and crew.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:17pm

The Costumes (Best this Seson) and Choreography certainly were worthy of nominations in the least.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed

You find it insulting that the most panned show of the season didn't get any nominations?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#3re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed

Except no reviewers enjoyed it.

But those costumes were super.

I liked it. Not one of my favorites, but a keeper.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

BSoBW2
#4re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:18pm

It was snubbed!?

That's so sad. I'm going to go play my pennywhistle to sleep as I cry. Cry. Cry.

(It should have received a costume nod, but so should have LoveMusik. So I'm over it.)

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#5re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:18pm

You're surprised? Really?

Baaaaad, slow, non-engaging show. Sorry.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#6re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:19pm

I definitely think that the choreography should have had a nod too.

Yankeefan007
#7re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:20pm

Nah.

sciguy
#8re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:31pm

Believe me Pirate Queen was not a favorite of mine by far.
However, after looking at the nominees I think the show was slighted for both costumes and choreography. IMHO.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#9re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:35pm

I have to admit, I giggled.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#10re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:36pm

It should have at least received a nod for set or scenic design.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#11re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:38pm

I just don't understand how it didn;t get nominations for costumes or choreography while Spring Awakening did.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#12re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:15pm

I have not seen The Pirate Queen, but the visuals in all of the pictures are stunning.

I wonder what they will have to say on Castcom now?

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

BSoBW2
#13re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:34am

I was able to deal with the show until the one scene at the top of Act II - I think when Donal seeks his revenge and Bingham sings a line that has to do with "they will all fall like dominoes." That's when the show died - and I'm pretty sure I even felt a chill.

Nevertheless, I have become slightly obsessed with it. Maybe because I like the sound of uilleann pipes and all that Gaelic stuff.

But what was with the accents? Slipping in and out of them?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#14re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:38am

I think it deserved a few; the show on the whole is an absolute mess, but there are a lot of elements that are quite good. Even if the pieces of the proverbial puzzle don't fit well together, I think some of them did deserve to be recognized.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#15re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:41am

I can almost see them not getting costumes. Although beautiful, they weren't correct (at least Elizabeth's weren't) according to our costumer (who is a genius, and has been nominated for a few Jeff awards in Chicago). Even on a castcom they said something like "well, most of our costumes were sort of made up". Which is great, but research the time!

But I can't believe it was snubbed!! what!? I loved the show,and have since day one in Chicago. (and I saw it in NYC too!)

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#16re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:42am

But then, voters would have to sit through it - think about it, two hours of their lives gone to waste. They could just show them the costumes and skip the pain of watching the show.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#17re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:45am

"I just don't understand how it didn;t get nominations for costumes or choreography while Spring Awakening did."

I was a little surprised with SA's costume nomination.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

CurtainPullDowner
#18re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:51am

The Costume Designs for PQ were Majorly researched.
And then projected from that.
Not getting a Nom is completely Insane.

That's why your designer is in Chicago and bitter.
Sorry to be harsh but Martin has studied Elizabethan and then some.

StephanietheStar
#19re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:54am

wow, curtain...something tells me you are are the bitter one. CALM DOWN.

And why would he be bitter? I love me some Pirate Queen, but no one else does. Is he supposed to be jealous of it's success?

brdlwyr
#20re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:54am

I assumed at least a costume nod! I loved the show in Chicago.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#21re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:57am

Steph - the "made it up" part you are misinterpreting from castcom is when they said that it was a challenge to research the Irish clothes of that time period. It wasn't well documented. The Irish of note that WERE documented would have emulated the English to show they had some status so that didn't help them much because they had to make sure to show a distinction. In that sense they may have taken some liberties but I don't think anyone could prove that what ended up in the show is "wrong" because there is no visual proof to the contrary.

ashley0139
#22re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:58am

While certainly not my favorite show, I definitely don't think it deserved to be snubbed. I would have liked to see costumes, and probably Stephanie over LBB.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

CurtainPullDowner
#23re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:58am

Sorry Steph
But the Costumes are very Elizabethian
I will chill now
and they deserved a Nom

StephanietheStar
#24re: The Pirate Queen Snubbed
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:04am

popular--I understood that on the castcom.

But the costumer I know (who is very well respected throughout CHicago's theatre scene) said that that final Queen Elizabeth gown (the white one) was not in the right time period for this show...

I personally know nothing...but I feel like he knows better tahn most.

p.s. I still personally think it should have been nominated for at least a few things (including Stephanie)...I love the show...but the Tony's have been known to make misakes over their many years....no that it sill doesn't hurt when they make those mistakes!

Updated On: 5/16/07 at 01:04 AM

Videos