THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES- Page 3

THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#51re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:08pm

SHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol jk.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#52re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:16pm

Both sides are greedy & care not a whit about the average theatergoer.

Broadway is a crapshoot. How about a show like The Seafarer which may not even have a chance to open. Kind of like playing cards with someone who has 3 aces up his sleeve.

Some of the strikers today seemed to get tired just holding up their signs. Poor babies.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 06:16 PM

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#53re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:29pm

"Some of the strikers today seemed to get tired just holding up their signs. Poor babies."

those must have been the "flymen" who work shows that don't have any flying scenery.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#54re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:30pm

Would you two p--kittens like some milk? re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#55re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:33pm

Very possibly.

Poster Emeritus

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#56re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:40pm

NJLUV-
Just a few corrections:
It's a "Load-in" not a "Move in"
Also, A flyman is required because all of the lighting instruments (among other things) are in the air above the stage. God forbid something goes wrong and the electrics need to come down and there is no one qualified in the theater to operate the Flies.

FlyingMonkey:
I think your comparison to the Supermarket industry shows your ignorance. The Producers hold all the cards in showbusiness. The ratio of labor to jobs is tipped heavily in favor of management, making Unions and the rights and protection thy procure protect, and provide so much more important (I am not implying that supermarket employees deserve less).
When you have a surplus of labor, and a lack of Jobs, it is easy for management to take advantage. When you eliminate unions, slowly but surely you will see things like healthcare, pension, and minimum salaries fall by the wayside. It then becomes a profession that ceases to be secure. Who wants that?

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#57re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:44pm

What profession today is secure?

Theater is a luxury which is pricing itself out of average peoples budget. Both sides are guilty .

Poster Emeritus

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#58re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:45pm

I would also like to point out that sometimes Producers suprise suprise do screw over the people working for them. Look at the musicians union - they have a similar agreement that a certain number of pit musicians must be paid for every musical, even if they don't need them. This is a good thing, as silly as it may sound. It prevents all the musicians from being replaced by synthesizers. And look at "Sweeney Todd" - as cool a premise as that was, all the pit musicians who would have worked were replaced by actors. It's not easy sustaining a career in any area of the arts. The stagehands in Broadway shows do unbelievable, and often dangerous work, and there are many reasons that I'm sure even we don't know of - unless your the Presidant of the Union as to why they are making these demands.

I greatly admire Broadway Producers. You're right - it is a very risky thing and I am so grateful to them. But there needs to be balance both ways. I'm sure neither side is completely blameless, but in general, stagehands are in a much worse position then the Broadway producers.

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#59re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:46pm

"those must have been the "flymen" who work shows that don't have any flying scenery."

I know that this may come as a surprise to you, but the flys are not only used for scenery. You might want to look up and then you'd notice that there are hundreds of lights and other equipment that are also suspended from the battens. If some of that equipment needs to be worked on, it's sometimes easier to bring the batten in, than to bring a genie-lift onstage, (which also requires local one workers to move and usually more than one.)

Talk about beating a dead-horse.

It would be nice if you at least have a working knowledge of the backstage before you start making catty remarks about what is and isn't needed to run a show.

EDIT: Sorry NeverAndy I must have been writing this while you were posting.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 06:46 PM

joniray
#60re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:46pm

"Also, A flyman is required because all of the lighting instruments (among other things) are in the air above the stage. God forbid something goes wrong and the electrics need to come down and there is no one qualified in the theater to operate the Flies."

And God forbid any of the other stagehands be trained to be qualified to operate the flies. Instead they are all just trained to say my least favorite phrase in any industry "That's not my job."

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#61re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:49pm

"It would be nice if you at least have a working knowledge of the backstage before you start making catty remarks about what is and isn't needed to run a show."

I do have a working knowledge of backstage. I was a stage manager for 15 years in everything from black box theatres where I had to hang, set, and run the lights to large venues where we had crews to do so.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 06:49 PM

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#62re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:51pm

"And God forbid any of the other stagehands be trained to be qualified to operate the flies. Instead they are all just trained to say my least favorite phrase in any industry "That's not my job."

Do you suppose the Producers would want to pay more for someone who is trained and qualified to do more than one job?

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#63re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:51pm

Now let us not bring logic & coherent arguements & rebuttals into the conversation.

Poster Emeritus

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#64re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:52pm

"I do have a working knowledge of backstage. I was a stage manager for 15 years."

And I can see why you no longer are. You should know that just because a production does not have flying scenery doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't require a flyman.

Updated On: 11/10/07 at 06:52 PM

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#65re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:55pm

"And I can see why you no longer are."

because I wanted to make a steady salary with company paid benefits and regular normal work schedules, rather than having to always look for work every time a show closes and having to work nights and weekends?

Updated On: 11/10/07 at 06:55 PM

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#66re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:58pm

"because I wanted to make a steady salary with company paid benefits and regular normal work schedules, rather than having to always look for work every time a show closes."

And a sigh of relief was heard in theatres throughout the land.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#67re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 6:59pm

I just said to my wife that it is amazing to me the amount of regular posters on this board who are so unbelievably uninformed about the actual nuts and bolts of showbusiness. Theatre, on a Broadway scale, is much different from anywhere else in the world. It is a fast moving, dangerous, and highly specialized industry. Just compare the amount of cues in an average PSM script on Broadway to that of a modest Regional House to see the disparity.
Honestly, (And I am gonna get flamed for this but who cares?)If all your experience of Broadway amounts to a life spent on this board debating the merits of "Norbie" "Idina" "Shoshanna" and "Patti" and no time spent in a functioning professional theater, you really should look into the facts before you post.
I said 3 weeks ago on this board that the public will turn against the Stagehads because they are ignorant of the facts. The league played this negotiation in the press and will probably end up doing better in the end. How sad.

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#68re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 7:00pm

I was using the grocery store as an example of a union I am familiar with, among some other unions. Wasn't really comparing them. It seems like the bottom line is people are just spoiled. I work for a great company, get treated decently (of course I'd like better pay but who wouldnt!), pay very little for really good health coverage, get all sorts of job related perks, and have 401k. I am non-union and am covered labor wise under my states law. I see little room for a union at my job. I do dangerous things at my job too, things that are not good for my body at all. I have health coverage for that, and there is workers compensation if anything happens to me on the job. I'm sorry if I come off ingorant, but I just feel like the stagehands are being brats.
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 07:00 PM

joniray
#69re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 7:02pm

"Do you suppose the Producers would want to pay more for someone who is trained and qualified to do more than one job?"

I bet they'd prefer to pay extra (which would be fair and make sense) to someone who had both qualifications then pay an extra person a full wage plus benefits to sit on their ass all week long.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#70re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 7:04pm

Cooperross-The reasons you just stated for leaving the industry is exactly the reason unions exist!

misschung
#71re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 7:05pm

Stagehands are definitely brats. You know what they should do? Hire a bunch of illegal aliens to do their job. That would fix everything

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#72re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 7:08pm

"I bet they'd prefer to pay extra (which would be fair and make sense) to someone who had both qualifications then pay an extra person a full wage plus benefits to sit on their ass all week long."

The problem with this is that they need someone to man every aspect because in the event of catastrophic failure of multiple systems who is going to handle 2 seperate failing systems when you've got only 1 person around qualified to handle both?

Severe bodily harm and even death can occur if certain backstage systems/equipment fail, qualified individuals are needed to man EVERY ASPECT to prevent and react to these possible failures.

or i suppose the producers could just graveyard the backstage and pay insurance fees so high it'll make the money they pay that "useless" flyman look like pocket change.

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#73re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 7:09pm

The reason they DID exist. They have long outlived their usefulness.

I still work in the union-laden entertainment industry for a movie and TV studio, but thankfully my job is not dependent on union thugs.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#74re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 7:10pm

Let's combine all the jobs then! The Ushers probably could be trained to run the sound board. Once the show starts they don't have much to do. The Drummer could play harmonica with one of those neck thingys. Or he could play the trumpet like in "Waiting for Guffman"! Actors could move scenery when they aren't in the scene. Think of all the money they could save!

Updated On: 11/10/07 at 07:10 PM

Videos