pixeltracker

Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?- Page 3

Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#50re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:44pm

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS

I don't remember her coming back. But regardless, it certainly didn't have that happy let's all hug the dead baby ending that made me roll my eyes. That was a joke.

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#51re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 4:28pm

if there is a demo out there, i would love it too!

RoseStopnikCooks Profile Photo
RoseStopnikCooks
#52re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 5:59pm

No demos as far as I know, but there are plenty of illegal recordings from when it played at NYMF.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#53re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:18pm

I'm available for PMs.

exedore
#54re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:26pm

SPOILER ALERT

Diana leaves Dan, and Natalie OD's. She wakes up in the hospital, where Dr. Madden has been called in as she was a cutter at one point and is on suicide watch. The two spat, and he tells her that life sucks but it beats the alternative. Meanwhile, Dan is coping with Diana's departure and begins to see Gabriel. Unable to cope with being alone after all he's done, Gabriel spurs Dan on to kill himself. Natalie comes home at the crucial moment and stops him. Dan informs her that Diana has left, and we find out that Dr. Madden's narrations throughout the show have been about Dan all along - he is seeking treatment to deal with being left by his wife.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#55re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:30pm

right yeah. That's it. THAT was a powerful ending.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#56re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:49pm

I loved that ending. Can anyone elaborate anymore on the new ending?

Also, sweeney, you're blocked from pms.

sweeneytodd2
#57re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:51pm

Fixed it!

joniray
#58re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:52pm

"THAT was a powerful ending."

It most certainly was. Why mess with such a great thing?!?!

As a side note, is anyone "friends" with the myspace page? I could have sworn that the name that it was under was "Next to Normal" but now it has been changed to "Feeling Electric?" Am I going crazy? It did used to say "Next to Normal," right?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#59re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:54pm

Because the show used to be three hours long? re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#60re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 6:55pm

umm emcee, it's better for it to be 3 hours long and AMAZING than for it to be 2 and a half and mediocre.

joniray
#61re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:02pm

Agreed. And the cuts that needed to be made were mostly in the first act. The second half of the second act was just right, as was made obvious by all the sniffles in the audience and the great reviews.

being.jeremiah
#62re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:04pm

Haven't read all the reviews, skipped spoilers...

EXCITED to see this tonight!

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#62re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:04pm

there were more than sniffles at NYMF, they were straight up sobs.

luvtheEmcee
#64re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:05pm

Umm,

1. It's not mediocre. I agree that the ending needs work and most of my issues with it were in the second act, but mediocrity it is not.

2. Most people don't want to sit through something that is positively epic.

3. Someone asked why mess with it. That's one reason why. They're not at their final point of arrival yet. There's no reason to assume it's not going to change from where it was last night -- and hopefully, improve. Until it freezes, consider it a work in progress.

Updated On: 1/17/08 at 07:05 PM

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#65re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:10pm

no emcee the ending makes the whole piece mediocre. i felt completely CHEATED as i left the theatre. like i'd wasted my 2 and a half hours.

the end is a cop out plain and simple. and either yorkey or need step up, take responsibility and fix it.

UptownGirl2
#66re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:12pm

I don't think powerful has to equal every character attempting suicide. While you want the piece to be moving and emotionally charged, it can't be so bogged down that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Who wants to see something that has no possibility for hope?

Most of the problems I had were in the staging of the final number, which can be easily changed. I'm not worried.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#67re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:14pm

they cut a half hour of good material and replaced it with 5 minutes of hugging and bull****. there's plenty to worry about.

ETA, i can't understand why they decided to give it a happy ending, not everything in life has a happy ending, its worse than the cop ending of Rent.
Updated On: 1/17/08 at 07:14 PM

luvtheEmcee
#68re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:28pm

My problem with the ending is actually its potential to be confusing.

If you would like to continue to make yourself miserable by assuming it's not being worked on and is never going to be fixed, be my guest. I certainly trust the powers that be to realize that it's a problem.

exedore
#69re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:29pm

"it can't be so bogged down that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Who wants to see something that has no possibility for hope? "

The point is that it DOES end with hope - Diana has her freedom and begins coming to terms with the past, Natalie finally gets the attention she needs, and Dan is getting help for the issues he put aside in attempting to care for Diana. And yes, the workshop also ended with a reprise of "Let There Be Light".

Now if only "So Many Ways To Die" was in N2N...

UptownGirl2
#70re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:32pm

"The point is that it DOES end with hope - Diana has her freedom and begins coming to terms with the past, Natalie finally gets the attention she needs, and Dan is getting help for the issues he put aside in attempting to care for Diana."

Yes, and every one of those things is still in Next to Normal as it now appears.

1. Diana leaves. She now has freedom.
2. Diana leaves. Natalie can now get attention from Dan that she deserves, as he will not be so wrapped up in Diana's drama. She is also able to sustain a relationship with Henry and doesn't have to be embarrassed to bring her boyfriend to her house.
3. Dan can go into therapy and deal with everything he has repressed for the past 16 years, as well as Diana leaving him. Updated On: 1/17/08 at 07:32 PM

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#71re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:32pm

And exedore makes a great point.

and emcee, i don't trust the powers that be because they hadn't figured out by last night that the ending they had was crap and confusing and misleading.

joniray
#72re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:34pm

"I don't think powerful has to equal every character attempting suicide. While you want the piece to be moving and emotionally charged, it can't be so bogged down that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Who wants to see something that has no possibility for hope?"

UptownGirl, did you see Feeling Electric? Because there most certainly was a sense of hope at the end. And it all absolutely worked and it was an incredibly powerful evening of theatre. I have only openly sobbed at three musicals this decade: Elegies, Caroline or Change and Feeling Electric. I think it's amazing when a musical can evoke that kind of emotional response. Rent did that to me as well, and it has for many others. And Rent is relentless in its emotion for the whole second half of the second act, just like Feeling Electric was, and it's been running for how many years now? People DO like to be moved in the theatre. They like emotionally charged stories. It can be cathartic. It upsets me to hear that the show that I found so powerful may have been castrated in a misguided attempt to make it more into what the creative team and/or producers think "the people" want. I hope that they haven't destroyed what made the show special in an effort to "please everyone."

luvtheEmcee
#73re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:35pm

Dude, it was the FIRST PREVIEW. That means chances are they had only done it in front of an audience once prior. Do you have any idea how much a musical can change over the course of the preview process? Clearly not.

But, like I said, if you would like to convince yourself that it's going to remain crap, by all means. I certainly wouldn't want to convince myself a show I loved was doomed, by hey, that's just me.

joniray
#74re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:37pm

exedore,

Actually I thought "So Many Ways to Die" should have been one of the first songs to go. I think that was a good choice.

Videos