pixeltracker

Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?

Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:29pm

Pls let us know ..how did it go? I am just curious or post a review....

Thanks

J*

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#2re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:31pm

I found it to be really powerful and moving, and with an excellent score. I can't get the songs out of my head!

I recognize the addiction to being alive.
Updated On: 1/17/08 at 10:31 PM

nyc1870
#2re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:43pm

Was there a playbill/board that listed any understudies?

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#3re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:52pm

Whoop whoop!

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

wexy
#4re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:55pm

Hope its good, its on TDF

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#5re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:56pm

how was Aaron?

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#6re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:01pm

Does anyone know which roles Kevin Kern understudies?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#7re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:04pm

I would assume Dan and the Doctor.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:22pm

I'm going tomorrow...anyone know the running time?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:25pm

About 2:15.

I loved it. Sure, there's still some work to be done, especially on the ending, but having seen the '05 NYMF production, I'm really pleased with this (almost) finished product. I thought the casting was great, the condensing of the story was well-done, and it's in really good shape.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/17/08 at 11:25 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:30pm

Thanks, Emcee! Makes me excited for tomorrow!

neddyfrank2
Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#12re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:57pm

I was there. Overall it was great, very tight, didn't feel like a first preview at all. Most of the first act was in tact from the NYMF Production (all the major songs are still there; I Am the One, I'm Alive, Let There Be Light all make appearances). My issues lie in the second act. Now, i will admit much of my memory of specifics is gone as it was 27 months ago, but i do remember the emotional payoff being greater. In essence, the last half hour is less affecting and therefore less effective. I almost felt cheated. Of course that's my bias from the previous production..

For the most part the performances are spot on. Aaron is great and the definition of always being in the moment, especially sense he spends most of his time on stage in the perephiral. Brian was pretty great as well. Alice on the other hand i had some issues with. When she's on, shes ON, however there are some times when she borders on (and crosses the border into) overacting which is upsetting. I don't have the playbill in front of me and i've forgotten the names of the other 3 actors. The girl who plays the daughter seems to still be settling into her characterizations as they weren't completely consistent, but i think she's moving in the right dirrection. Henry (the boyfriend) is fine, my problem lies with the character which I found a little annoying. And Dr. Maddon is solid.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

ok, you've been warned

I think the problem i had with the second act was the change in Gabe's illness/cause of death and the reveal of this info. And the oddly happy ending in which Gabe is acknowledged and embraced by every character.

END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS
END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS
END SPOILERS
END SPOILERS
END SPOILERS
END SPOILERS

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#13re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 12:18am

I was there tonight. I really enjoyed myself. I also saw the show back in '05 and NYMF, and it's still one of my favorites to date, so I was nervous going in to see the changes and all that.

I still love it. I liked most of the changes - they almost completely revamped Natalie's character, and it works so much better - she's more likeable. The addition of Henry worked really nicely as well. The first act felt long to my friend who was with me, so they can probably still trim it down. The second act is really tight.

Cast wise, I really enjoyed Jennifer Damiano's Natalie, and Adam Chanler-Berat as Henry is really adorable. And WOW - Aaron Tveit! Where did he come from? He has some voice. I really didn't like Asa Somers... he has a nice voice, but everything he did just really fell flat for me, unfortunately. I'm interested in hearing why Anthony Rapp didn't return (though he's stayed involved and was in the audience tonight.)

Brian d'Arcy James is fantastic. Though I don't expect much less from him. He absolutely breaks my heart at the end - the last moments before the 'Let There Be Light' reprise are executed with such emotional control, he never fails to amaze me. And he is in great voice.

The show does, of course, belong to Alice Ripley. She's such a powerhouse vocally. Diana is such a tough tough role. She's really sinking her teeth into it, and will only get better as the run goes on.

I'll definitely be back in a couple weeks to see what changes have been made and how everyone is progressing. It's such a beautiful piece. I'm really happy to see it up on it's feet since NYMF.

re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?

broadwaybaby086
#14re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 12:24am

I agree with you, Liverpool, basically entirely. I enjoyed it immensely. I did expect to be more affected, as the NYMF production really hit home at the end somehow...but there was something that didn't pull the final heartstring for me. Part of it could have been that highly non sequitur ending. Which needs to be fixed, pronto.

Of all of the cast members, I took most issue with Ripley as well. I'm not well-versed in the canon of Alice Ripley, but there are some serious vocal issues. It sounds like she's either a) trying too hard, it sounds like it's difficult, b) in pain or c) trying too hard because she's in pain. I am concerned for her voice. It sounds like a cord could pop at any moment, especially in the upper range before she hits her comfortable belt zone. There was just something missing. And I hope nothing is seriously damaged.

D'Arcy James was great, Tveit was phenomenal in his fluidity and characterization, and Damiano was good, but I imagine with more time she'll really hit it. Somers was solid, but didn't leave an impression on me. Chanler-Berat was fine.

I really did like it, a lot, and will definitely make a return visit. I love this project, and the subject matter, and glad it can be addressed and presented in such a fine manner.

Also, major props to AnnMarie Milazzo for glorious vocal arrangements, once again. The woman is FANTASTIC. She has a fantastic ear and really knows what she's doing. She is so impressive!

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...
Updated On: 1/17/08 at 12:24 AM

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#15re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 12:28am

Also happy to see Mary-Mitchell Campbell on piano!

the_musical Profile Photo
the_musical
#16re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 1:45am

I was there.

I think the cast is in great shape. Brian D'Arcy James was doing some amazing work as the father, and he has an amazing chemistry with Alice.

As for Alice Ripley, I'm really glad she's back in New York in a show. I thought her voice sounded great, certainly her voice is very different and may not be to everyone's taste, but she sounded fantastic and I loved it.

The only complaint would be that the first act feels a little heavy at this point, which considering it was their first preview, will probably be trimmed a little.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#17re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 1:50am

See, i thought the first act was near perfection. I wouldn't want them to cut anything really. The second act on the other hand seems very weak and abrupt (especially the end, WTF WAS THAT?)

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#18re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 2:09am

I don't know anything about this show but am a HUGE Brian d'Arcy and Alice Ripley fan. It sounds really interesting though. Any chance this might be recorded?

"...and in a bed."

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#19re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 2:19am

Unless it's transfers or gets a long extension it's unlikely. The show is only running like 50 days from first preview to scheduled close.

exedore
#20re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:57am

Is the song "Feeling Electric" still in there with all the changes?

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#21re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:59am

mild spoiler

its the act 1 finale.

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#22re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 7:32am

yeahhhh who are the understudies??

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#23re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 11:55am

Kevin Kern is the understudy for Dan/Dr. Madden

Corey Boardman is the understudy for Henry and Gabe

Jessica Phillips is the understudy for Diana

There doesn't appear to be one listed for Natalie.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

buenos_aires
#24re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
Posted: 1/17/08 at 12:36pm

So happy that this has moved on from NYMF, unfortunately I live WAY too far away to go.

I don't suppose anyone minds PMing me a tracklist of the songs that are now in it? I'd love to know what's been cut/changed.

Videos