pixeltracker

New "Gypsy" very underwhelming- Page 3

New "Gypsy" very underwhelming

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#50re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:49am

Here's what Patti adds to the show....a cold, mean-spirited take on the role of Rose. Bitter, pained, painful. She makes Rose's sense of humor limited to sarcasim. Why would I like this Rose?

(Go ahead, argue that the real Rose was like this)

This mean spirit is present throughout the entire production. I've never seen a dainty June play SO mean. She was played as a hateful bitch. Didn't enjoy that.

The end of the show is just plain wrong. Just plain wrong.

GYPSY is my favorite musical. This was my least favorite revival.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:35am

But Rose is not suppose to be some nice pleasant character. She isn't called 'the monster of mothers' for nothing.

And CC, I didn't get Patti's Rose was completely mean spirited. I saw some heart. Ill be seeing it on Broadway soon.

BTW, I think Larkin's fresh reinvention of June is brilliant.
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 01:35 AM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#52re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:45am

The ending, as described here is the same ending that was used in the 1970's Lansbury revival. On leaving the stage with Gypsy, Rose breaks away looks back at the stage apron which was dotted with light globes, they start to light up and then fade - much like what you are describing here with the Rose sign. This was the ending Arthur Laurents added for Lansbury in London in 1973.

robinycus
#53re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/22/08 at 7:50am

Don't think Angela Lansbury could do the show justice? Take a look at this live footage from the show including Rose's turn:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xLvvBjOkeCQ

ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
#54re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/22/08 at 9:31am

I remember the first time I saw the Angela Lansbury clips and I was simply amazed at her voice and presence.

"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#55re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/22/08 at 10:16am

Again I have to agree that Larkin's June was just too mean and bitchy to really feel for her. Adult June feels so trapped into playing 'what mommy wants her to be' and it's a sweet relief for both her and the audience when we find out she ran away with the one person (at least that we know) who loved her an thought of her as a woman. We lose some of the connection with her struggle when it's played too bitchy (she was such a brat I didn't care what happened to her)

To each his own.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#56re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/25/08 at 2:17am

the ending, as described here is the same ending that was used in the 1970's Lansbury revival. On leaving the stage with Gypsy, Rose breaks away looks back at the stage apron which was dotted with light globes, they start to light up and then fade - much like what you are describing here with the Rose sign. This was the ending Arthur Laurents added for Lansbury in London in 1973.
----------

- They used that ending at City Center. The ending is brand new now. Nothing major at all though.

*SPOILER* If you don't want to know.. don't read
----

The major difference is....
She does not leave the stage with Gypsy anymore. She faces and grabs at the Rose sign. That's why I think people are making such a big deal...because Gypsy leaves the stage alone. There is also a slight but wonderful addition in the underscoring. But I don't think any of this is all that drastic.

Updated On: 3/25/08 at 02:17 AM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#57re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/25/08 at 8:08am

You have to wonder why, at this point they bother with all these minor changes.

Baiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
#58re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/27/08 at 3:05am

I say Gypsy this afternoon and I have to say I too was very underwhelmed. There were a few great numbers in my opinoin. I really liked "Some People" "Small World" "Together Whereever We Go" and "Rose's Turn" besides those scenes I really didnt like much else.
I espically hated the way that June was portraied. This may just be me but I always though that June and Louise were friends (or at least more friendly than they were portraied here) thus makeing the fact that June left Louise there worse.(not to mention that she left with the boy that Louise was in love with)
I am a fan of Gypsy but this is the first time that I ever saw it live so a lot of this is just stuff I made up in my head. Anyway seeing Patti's Rose's Turn was definately worth seeing this for me.

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"

Videos