New "Gypsy" very underwhelming

RadioTV2 Profile Photo
RadioTV2
#1New "Gypsy" very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 12:42am

Just returned from the Sat. evening performance of "Gypsy". Let me preface all of this by saying I love the musical "Gypsy" and I love Patti LuPone. However, I do not love Patti Lupone IN "Gypsy". The production itself was all over the place and while it certainly had its good moments, for most of the show I was simply praying for the show to end quickly. For me, one of the biggest problems with this production was that all of the tactics that comprised Herbie and Rose's relationship seemed to be played at the audience instead of at one another. Boyd Gaines does a decent job, but truthfully his entire performance was forgettable. Laura Benanti was the standout tonight and I believe she deserves a Tony for her turn as Louise. She gave a first-class performance and had me from the moment she stepped onstage (and even with that ridiculous stuffed lamb). Tony Yazbeck is a great dancer, but lacked any kind of charisma. The three ladies playing Mazeppa, Tessie Tura, and Electra all did wonderful jobs and "You Gotta Get a Gimmick" was one of the highlights of the show for me.

Now, onto Mama Rose. Patti LuPone is a wonderful actress, but she brings absolutely nothing new to the role. Having seen many regional and collegiate productions in addition to the Broadway revival with Bernadette Peters, I kept waiting for Ms. LuPone to do something to distinguish herself, and she really didn't. Her "Rose's Turn" is very good, but she has to tone down her gesticulations and lean-backs because she seems to do one every ten seconds. I did enjoy the new interpretation of the ending, and I am pleased to see a new take on that.

Let me add that I sat next to a man who said he had seen the Broadway production with Patti (on Broadway, not at City Center), three times previously. So, obviously there are some who find it enthralling, but maybe I simply had too high hopes for this production. All in all, I think this revival is a big mistake and after this production, I don't think we'll see another Broadway incarnation for at least twenty years.

Check out the Tony Awards Haven! www.tonyawardshaven.com

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 12:51am

Ditto
with one exception.

being.jeremiah
#2re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 1:20am

CPD, is it on this statement: "I don't think we'll see another Broadway incarnation for at least twenty years," yes?

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#3re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 1:43am

After seeing Bernie play Rose, Patti can only be a huge improvement!

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#4re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 8:31am

Bernadette is that you?

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#5re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 12:28pm

Do I have to post a "Leave Bernadette ALOOOONE!" YouTube video? Can we just celebrate Patti playing her destiny without bashing Ms. Peters in the process? Please?

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#5re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 1:20pm

So, they are still using the stuffed lamb and the puppet? Boy was that a bad idea at City Center!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#6re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 1:29pm

^ They are, and it's equally excruciating to watch now as it was at City Center.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this production. For me personally, this is one of my favorite things that I've ever seen; however I do love hearing everyones opinions on it - good and bad.
Updated On: 3/16/08 at 01:29 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:10pm

If they ever do it again, it needs to be done with midgets.

Poster Emeritus

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:48pm

I saw it Thursday evening, and I was disappointed. I liked what I saw at City Center over the summer, but something has happened since then.

First off, I wish they would cut the smock that Patti wears before, "Roses Turn". It's too distracting because it logically does not make any sense. In Act I, yes, in Act II, NO!!!

Her acting was all over the place. I really liked Laura Benanti up until the screaming match with Rose at the end. It was way over the top.

I saw the Tyne Daly production 9 times and loved it each and every time (including with her understudy, Jana Robbins). Somehow the magic is gone. Don't know how else to put it.

On a side note: What is it about this show that is bringing some freaks out of the woodwork (This is in reference to the guy sitting in front of me who would snap at people if they put their coats in the empty seat next to him. Literally he started yelling at people in the middle of the show. Every so often he would say an exasperated, "oy" very loudly in response to some of the proceedings on stage.)

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

puppetman2
#9re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:42pm

One reason for the toy lamb may be that a real one is not available. When I was Herbie in a local production, we could not find a real lamb or even a small adult lamb. We ended up using one of those dogs that look like a lamb. It was OK until the blasted aminal started barking at the orchestra.
It would be very interesting to know the reasoning behind using the toy lamb. Could Laura be allergic to real wool?

It Sucks To Be Me

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#10re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 8:37pm

$$$$$

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#11re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 8:43pm

I pretty much agree with everything the original poster said. Thank you for your honesty!

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#12re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 9:24pm

Apparently a trained lamb is difficult to come by. They poop and make noises at inopportune moments.
Also, they grow quickly and have to be replaced often.
(This is according to something I read in another thread, so kudos to whatever poster shared that with us.)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#13re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 9:46pm

So even though the idea of the stuffed lamb might be "excrutiating," it is really more practical than having a real lamb. Besides, the lamb isn't even in the a major part of the show, so why go through the trouble with a real lamb?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#14re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 10:23pm

I liked what I saw at City Center over the summer, but something has happened since then.

I'm seeing the show tomorrow night, but I don't have the benefit of having seen the City Center production.

Is anyone who saw both productions able to shed light on what exactly has happened? I'm amazed that this show, which got so many raves last summer, is getting so throughly trashed thus far. I just don't get it.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 10:31pm

The show has not been trashed so far. There have been lots of raves on here and on ATC. Like any production, there will always be naysayers. The critical reviews are bound to be great.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#16re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 10:33pm

In my opinion, the only thing that happened is that the show is even better than it was this Summer - especially Miss Patti.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#17re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 10:36pm

"If they ever do it again, it needs to be done with midgets."

So you're saying it needs a twist?

Three words.

Anika.

Noni.

Rose.

(In x# of years, of course)

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-
Updated On: 3/16/08 at 10:36 PM

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#18re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 11:12pm

omg Anika Noni Rose as Rose in 30 years would be incredible.

Come to think of it, I would probably sit through a production starring Audra McDonald, with Noni Rose as Louise.

I just saw the Broadway production of Gypsy. I did not see City Center, but from what I've seen on the unmentionable site, Patti's performance has only improved ten fold. I agree that Patti does not bring anything "new" to the role, but she, imo, is the ideal Rose in that she masters all of the qualities that have been previously discovered by past Roses and balances them into a very nuanced, pretty perfect performance. She's also the best sung Rose since Merman, and supported by a spectacular cast who are uniformly pretty srong actors. A previous poster said Gaines' performance was unmemorable, but i think his performance is pretty awesome - it's not really a "memorable" role, per se, and his choices all serve the story, character, and his fellow actors very well.

I dunno, I enjoyed the production very much, and even though it was a tad low budget for Broadway, I think it's exceptionally well directed and performed and is highly enthralling, entertaining, and cathartic.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#19re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 11:27pm

Anika Noni Rose as Louise...now.
Anika Noni Rose as Rose...later.
Anika Noni Rose as ANYONE...ANY TIME.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#20re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/16/08 at 11:48pm

I have trouble with the notion that LuPone hasn't brought anything new to Rose. Not only is her performance nuanced and striking, in my opinion, but she's unlike anyone else who's played Rose. Like her or not, her Rose certainly isn't a repeat of any of the major players who've taken on the part. That in itself makes her performance NEW.

I'm surprised by the few negative comments regarding Boyd Gaines' work in this production. I thought he was perfect in the role and the most effective Herbie I've seen.

Updated On: 3/17/08 at 11:48 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#21re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:07am

I saw both the City Center production and have seen the Broadway production twice now, and both were magnificent achievements.

Patti's performance has only been honed, and fine tuned since the summer, and she makes a remarkable Rose. She is supported by a pitch perfect group of supporting players, in Laura Benanti, Boyd Gaines, Leigh Ann Larkin, and Tony Yazbeck. This is an *ideal* GYPSY cast, and this production is not to be missed.

Come to think of it, I would probably sit through a production starring Audra McDonald, with Noni Rose as Louise.

Unless Audra's Rose gave birth to Anika's Louise when she was two years old, that would never work.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#22re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:11am

I don't mean to change the subject, but Not Barker Todd, do you think you can shorten your signature? Every time I click on a post that you have posted in, it stretches the page a bit.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#23re: New 'Gypsy' very underwhelming
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:12am

I think Bernadette Peters was sublime in the role and Lupone has got nothing on her in this show.

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Videos