pixeltracker

my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)- Page 3

my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)

theatre2
#50re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:33pm

this show will get better it is only the previews.

Kasie Profile Photo
Kasie
#51re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:40pm

It's too bad it wasn't very good. I was excited to see it. I did like the movie, as corny as it was. Although it did have Johnny Depp in it, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it.

RyToast1
#52re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:41pm

It's only in previews, true...but it did have an out of town tryout, so it's not like this is the first time their performing this show.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#53re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 3:37pm

I haven't seen it yet Jay. But if I decide to, I'll let you know what I think. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#54re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 5:38pm

Thanks jordy!

and bump for RyToast! yay!

J*

RyToast1
#55re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 5:41pm

Thanks Jay!

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#56re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 5:43pm

Oh no, so sad to hear all the bad word of mouth. I had such high hopes for this show. Hopefully, they will continue to tighten and refine during previews. Still plan to see it to form my own opinion.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#57re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 5:52pm

Which is better Lestat or this?

Poster Emeritus

Love4Theatre Profile Photo
Love4Theatre
#58re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:04pm

Hey, I agree, the number in the second act with the license plates was awesome, and the girl( I can't remember her name) that played cry-baby's groupie was funny. Also, the number where everyone jumps out of the river or lake half naked, was pretty cool because they were hot guys. I just wish I would have seen the gas mask dance, I read somewhere it replaced harriet harris getting cut in half,(that was really lame). I dont know which could be worse, but a gas mask dance does sound laughable. Oh well. I really don't understand why it received okay reviews in la jolla, when what I have seen sounds almost identical to what is playing on broadway right now. And when I saw it, it was terrible. It's my opinion, and I sometimes can be harsh on a show, but hey, go see it and form your opinion. The show overall is bland, the sets were simple, and the costumes were a bit on the cheesy side.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#59re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:12pm

Love4Theatre, Cry-Baby's groupie is Lenora as played by Ally Mauzey. She was amazing.

I thought the costumes were good.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

#60re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:21pm

i liked the sets, the costumes & the song SCREW LOOSE.

neddyfrank2
#61re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:33pm

The show is not identical to what it was in La Jolla. The show now drags on, the jokes fall flat, there is LESS depth to Allison and Cry-Baby, the orchestrations are for the most part different. They pulled a Millie. They took a show that was good out of town and ruined it for Broadway.

But, the choreography is more impressive now than before.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#62re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:46pm

This is probably a stupid question, but is this show grandmother friendly? It sounded like something she would want to see but from what I'm hearing I'm not so sure any more.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#63re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 8:20pm

Let's just say I heard an amateur recording of the show when it was in La Jolla. I enjoyed this alleged recording, but I have not seen the fully staged Broadway mounting...Allegedly.

So, is it the production? The leads? The costumes? Or, is it everything? Score, book, leads, costumes, and the kitchen sink?

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Love4Theatre
#64re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:05pm

Thanks Dottie, yes ally was hilarious. I think the reason why I, in my opinion which is soley based on the la jolla run, was not excited about the show is because I was expecting something more upbeat and fun, perhaps another hairspray. I guess my expectations were too high. I didn't enjoy the music except for the last song in the first act. I felt that the story drags, and doesn't seem to pick up. I was extremely annoyed by the square quartet. Is that still in the show?
The resolution to cry-baby's story is so abrupt and so ridiculous.
Spoiler
cry -baby is framed, goes to jail, and harriet harris confesses that one of the squares framed him, the square doesn't get a punishment other than cry baby's groupie ally, cry baby gets the girl and they all sing and dance with a girl dressed as a pie and another girl dressed as a lucky strike cigarette box. The final dance number in la jolla was very basic compared to the other numbers, someone mentioned they enjoyed the broadway finale. Has that changed?
Oh yea, Harriet Harris sang off key with that annoying "once" song for the la jolla run. Maybe she's supposed to sing off key for comic timing or something.
Anyhow, this may be off topic, but i really enjoyed Dragone's Carmen which wasn't as well received in La Jolla last year. The songs were great, the dancing was great, the sets were great, the book needed work but I definitely found it more entertaining than Cry-baby. I wish that went to broadway instead of Cry-baby. I know its like comparing apples and oranges. Just thought I'd throw that in.

DottieD'Luscia
#65re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:19pm

Love4Theatre, your synopsis was hysterical.

Yes, Harriett Harris is still off-key, but that's the way she sings. Didn't you see (or hear) her in Millie?

Yes, the four square singers are still in it. They didn't bother me so much.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#66re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:22pm

Are we talking about the Mother's Song by Harriet Harris that goes.. she did something wrong once...she wants everybody to have her moral.....

J*

DottieD'Luscia
#67re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:29pm

J*, yes. That song seemed to go on and on and on!!

RyToast1
#68re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:28am

Jay, the song is now called "I Did Something Wrong Once."

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#69re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:40am

i'm seeing this Saturday night! i can't wait re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)

Love4Theatre
#70re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:26am

I think Harriet's character is trying to tell us something.

"I did something wrong once"

-Make cry baby into a musical?

Or

-Audition for Cry-Baby?

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#71re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:33am

"-Audition for Cry-Baby?"

Well if it pays, it pays. Just ask the casts of Lestat and The Pirate Queen.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#72re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:44am

The show is lots of fun.

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#73re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)

The show is lots of fun.

Love4Theatre
#74re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)

Hey, true B3TA07. Its a paying job, and good experience. So can someone explain to me what a shill is? Sorry, I keep hearing references and I know its a silly question. And how come the "shills" aren't posting as much?

Videos