BOEING-BOEING Reviews

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#50re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 10:06am

Rylance is amazing, I'm actually excited to see this. I defy anyone to watch ANGELS & INSECTS and tell me he's not one of the sexiest men to ever appear in a period film.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#51re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 10:35am

The set doesn't change in anyway in between acts.
Its a classic set for a farce.
One room- 1000 doors!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#52re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:26am

Newsday is a Pan:

A space ship landed in the Longacre Theatre, and I think I was in it. Either everyone laughing hysterically around me was from another planet, or I was.

"Boeing-Boeing" is the most extreme case of the Martian Syndrome since the heyday of sex farces at dinner theaters - you know, when Don Knotts toured the circuit in "The Mind with the Dirty Man" and the sound of an offstage toilet flushing was considered a source of hilarity.

I hate to be a buzz kill. But "Boeing-Boeing," the 1962 farce that was made into a dimwit 1965 movie with Tony Curtis and Jerry Lewis, opened last night, and I don't have a clue to explain the genuine mirth around me...

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/stage/ny-ettop5674409may05,0,6635414.story

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

BustopherPhantom
#53re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:28am

AM New York (who decided to, instead, review a show called "Boeinvg") gives the show 3 1/2 out of 4 Stars:

...the real hero of "Boeing-Boeing" is Mark Rylance, who plays a socially awkward visitor who unknowingly gets mixed up in his pal's swinger lifestyle. Rylance, a renowned Shakespearian actor, creates silent slapstick comedy that perfectly compliments the play's madcap atmosphere.

While we are not defending the literary merits -- or lack thereof -- of this straight male fantasy play, Matthew Warchus' revival is extremely well staged, perfectly cast and insanely funny. As in "Noises Off," you'll find yourself deliriously laughing at each and every line for two and a half happy hours.

http://www.amny.com/entertainment/stage/am-boeing0504,0,4079504.story

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

BustopherPhantom
#54re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:29am

Clive Barnes gives the show 1 out of 4 Stars:

...When I saw this revival, staged by Matthew Warchus and designed by Rob Howell, in London last summer, I thought it was terrible, but Rylance had already left the cast, and I was assured by some that he had made a terrific difference.

He does make a terrific difference. And it's still terrible - as repetitious and as tedious as a flea circus...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05052008/entertainment/theater/boeing_boeing_going_going_nowhere_fast_109551.htm

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#55re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:33am

Sounds like the lobby bartender didn't make Mr. Barnes' drink strong enough.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

BustopherPhantom
#56re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:35am

The Newark Star-Ledger is a Rave:

The door-slamming, furniture-jumping, fall-on-the-floor doings of farcical comedy are not to all tastes, of course, so anyone disliking this theatrical genre can skip "Boeing-Boeing."

Everybody else better tape their ribs to prevent fractures from laughing so furiously at the madness galloping across the stage of the handsomely renovated Longacre Theatre, where a giddy revival of "Boeing-Boeing" opened yesterday...

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/arts/index.ssf/2008/05/jetpropelled_farce.html

The New York Sun is Very Positive:

...All three stewardesses, though hemmed in to varying degrees by the stock nature of their characters, wriggle and pout gamely: Ms. McCormack is the funniest, Ms. Gershon the tastiest, and Ms. Hahn the most fearless. And all three of those adjectives could apply to Mr. Rylance, who, unlike his male co-star, understands how to contrast this chaos with complete stillness. The sight of Robert gaping at these women, his face clouding over with a blend of terror, confusion, agitation, and envy, serves as a perfect launching pad for the ensuing madness. Whether he's adopting a grotesque approximation of machismo, splaying himself over the furniture with seemingly no thought of his own safety, or being tossed to the ground by Gretchen, he carries the action to the point where a throwaway line like "Oh, there's Africa" can become comic magic.

Or perhaps "alchemy" would be the better term, given the dross from which Mr. Rylance and at least a few of his co-stars spin these laughs. But gold is gold, and if slogging through the likes of "Boeing-Boeing" is what it takes to mine it, so be it. Isn't making the best out of untenable circumstances what farce is all about?

http://www2.nysun.com/article/75821

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#57re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 11:36am

Having seen the original production of 'Noises Off' before it opened in the West End (Lyric Theatre, Hammersmith) and then again when it opened to amazing reviews when it did eventually open at The Savoy Theatre for a 4 and half year run. I saw many casts in London and another 3 or 4 on the eventual national tours. The West End revival that opened in 2001 i saw another 3 times BUT I've always found 'Boeing Boeing' to be more consistently funnier than 'Noises Off'. The latter has many flagging moments.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#58re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 12:00pm

With these personal reviews, Mark Rylance has got to be considered a serious contender for a Tony, whether as leading actor or featured actor. I doubt he'd be able to beat Patrick Stewart, so perhaps they should petition him as featured, where he probably stands a great chance of winning.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#59re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 12:01pm

I'm amazed at the amount of typos in these reviews. Newsday calling Whitford's character "Robert," Brantley's "Bertrand," AMNY's "Boeinvg," etc. Where are the editors?

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#60re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 12:02pm

Too much vino at Sunday lunch me thinks!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#61re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 5:58pm

This shows why you should never listen to critics - even those on ths board

One NY Daily gave it a rave and another, seeing the same show, gave it one star.The bottom line is that critics give their opinion, Since they have never done anything on the creative or acting end, I cannot see someone judging someone else on something they have never done.

See a show if the stars or the creative team or subject matter interest you. Listening to critics will drive you crazy

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/5/08 at 05:58 PM

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#62re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 6:08pm

I just never seem to agree with Linda Winer's reviews.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#63re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 7:40pm

I think her review of Boeing-Boeing further bolsters my theory that Linda Winer has become a horrid reviewer.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#64re: BOEING-BOEING Reviews
Posted: 5/5/08 at 7:52pm

Broadway.com's Word of Mouth:
http://www.broadway.com/gen/general.aspx?ci=563955

Videos