News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 36

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#875SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/28/17 at 1:16pm

I'm happy that you got to see it, I totally disagree. I think Siobhan Dillon may not be great, but Glenn, I love her singing and her acting. She does miss the final note of "With One Look", I've seen the show 4 times and she missed it once.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

10086sunset
#876SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 4:25pm

"LesWickedly said: "Thanks for the responses, sort of. I would actually rather save $60 so was wondering what people think of Row M on the left orch seats 1 & 3. Pretty good? I've heard better things about Row N  on the right, but sadly they're sold."

Row M, left orchestra 1 & 3 are fine seats. If you want to save the $60 like you mentioned, it's a good option. I lost some of the action on the left staircase but it was brief. Mostly a scene or two with young Norma.

Enjoyed that the side orchestra appeared to be raised.

1 and 3 are the seats to go with. They were fairly spacious, with extra room on the floor to place your things. The rest of the aisle is more obstructed. I also wouldn't go much closer than row M on the sides.  

Hope this helps.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#877SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 9:26pm

So today, I just got in the mail (via Amazon) the Netherlands Cast Album of Sunset Boulevard (I think this settles it that Sunset has eclipsed Aspects as my favorite ALW score... when I'm listening to the score in Dutch, that more than settles it)

Anyway - its really interesting.  They recorded this live with a 14 piece orchestra.  The leads are really excellent -- at least vocally.  But you can't deny that the 40 piece orchestra on stage at the Palace Theatre really adds something that's hard to equal.   Man I wish we could get a new, full recording... 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#878SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 10:30pm

muscle23ftl said: "I'm happy that you got to see it, I totally disagree. I think Siobhan Dillon may not be great, but Glenn, I love her singing and her acting. She does miss the final note of "With One Look", I've seen the show 4 times and she missed it once."

That's too bad. When I saw it, the note was powerful and borderline shocking both times she hit it. 

muscle23ftl
#879SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:39pm

ljay889 said: "muscle23ftl said: "I'm happy that you got to see it, I totally disagree. I think Siobhan Dillon may not be great, but Glenn, I love her singing and her acting. She does miss the final note of "With One Look", I've seen the show 4 times and she missed it once."

That's too bad. When I saw it, the note was powerful and borderline shocking both times she hit it. 

Yes, she always sings the score very well, but 1 out of the 4 times I saw SUNSET she definitely missed the last note of that song...my friends didn't even notice though. The same night she couldn't get the gun out at the end and everyone did notice that...haha. She is the best!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#880SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:50pm

Hey all:

I saw this afternoon's matinee. I got to the box office around 11am and was going to buy a rush ticket, I check my e-mail and I actually won the lottery. So I go back at 1:30pm and the woman at the box office just had a stack of tickets and you just had to say your name (no ID check) and she gave you the ticket on the top of the pile. It was Front Mezz Row C Seat 7 for $55. Extremely happy! Get up to the mezzo and it has about 75 people, very empty. The lottery winners were all grouped together and then the sides from row D and up were empty. I moved to the row behind me for act 2 and had the row to myself. Siobhan Dillon was out and Britney Coleman was on as Betty. Check out the link below. It was her first time, not sure if Siobhan has missed yet. At the BC/EFA speech, Glenn made an announcement that Britney had to jump in as Betty last minute. I had seen the original broadway in 1994 and many more times after that, I was so glad to see it in 2017. The orchestra was beyond perfect. Loved seeing them on stage and hearing the score so beautifully played. I will say I missed the big luxurious sets. The house moving up and downstage and then rising was an amazing moment for me as a kid, but I was just happy they brought the show back. Glenn was great, to me she made Norma larger than 20 years ago. A little overboard at points, but it truly made the character. Michael Xavier was a decent Joe and his Act 2 opening was very appealing. The Joe Gillis dummy was in full view the entire show and honestly was distracting. Britney as Betty was very good for her first performance. So different from Alice Ripley or Lauren Kennedy. Beautiful young woman, not a fan of Betty's opening costume, give the lady a dress. I loved the projections and how they incorporated "cinema" into the theatre. I had a great time and am so glad new generations can see this!

My next wish is to see Alice Ripley as Norma! That happens I'll pay premium prices! SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances  

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSOyFPNA63n/?taken-by=tjonc&hl=en

muscle23ftl
#881SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:19am

I agree with your review mostly, but I think the music itself fills the void of the mansion. 

I wish I had seen a different Betty, since Dillon is my least favorite lead in the show.

This 2pm show was unusually empty I saw, the night show was much busier and last weekend was completely sold out. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#882SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:36am

HunterK said: "Hey all:

I saw this afternoon's matinee. I got to the box office around 11am and was going to buy a rush ticket, I check my e-mail and I actually won the lottery. So I go back at 1:30pm and the woman at the box office just had a stack of tickets and you just had to say your name (no ID check) and she gave you the ticket on the top of the pile. It was Front Mezz Row C Seat 7 for $55. Extremely happy! Get up to the mezzo and it has about 75 people, very empty. The lottery winners were all grouped together and then the sides from row D and up were empty. I moved to the row behind me for act 2 and had the row to myself. Siobhan Dillon was out and Britney Coleman was on as Betty. Check out the link below. It was her first time, not sure if Siobhan has missed yet. At the BC/EFA speech, Glenn made an announcement that Britney had to jump in as Betty last minute. I had seen the original broadway in 1994 and many more times after that, I was so glad to see it in 2017. The orchestra was beyond perfect. Loved seeing them on stage and hearing the score so beautifully played. I will say I missed the big luxurious sets. The house moving up and downstage and then rising was an amazing moment for me as a kid, but I was just happy they brought the show back. Glenn was great, to me she made Norma larger than 20 years ago. A little overboard at points, but it truly made the character. Michael Xavier was a decent Joe and his Act 2 opening was very appealing. The Joe Gillis dummy was in full view the entire show and honestly was distracting. Britney as Betty was very good for her first performance. So different from Alice Ripley or Lauren Kennedy. Beautiful young woman, not a fan of Betty's opening costume, give the lady a dress. I loved the projections and how they incorporated "cinema" into the theatre. I had a great time and am so glad new generations can see this!

My next wish is to see Alice Ripley as Norma! That happens I'll pay premium prices! SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances  

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSOyFPNA63n/?taken-by=tjonc&hl=en

"

Yeah for today's Matinee - they had way more tickets than I've ever seen.  Wonder what was up with that?

That orchestra is really beyond phenomenal.  Loved the original, but from the first moments of that overture, I was overwhelmed by the lush sound.... can't wait to go back again (April 8th!)

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#883SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:42pm

muscle23ftl said: "...I think the music itself fills the void of the mansion."

I want the orchestra AND the mansion. angry

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#884SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:30pm

Lot666 said: "I want the orchestra AND the mansion. angry

"

Ahhh... sadly those days are looooonnnngg gone where the broadway economics could support that (or the producers could take that kind of a hit)   Gotta be happy with a symphonic orchestra, phenomenal actors and actresses and a good set

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#885SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:17am

I saw a picture on Twitter last night confirming that the customized Sunset Boulevard cups are now available at the bar in the Palace Theatre. The cups are black with the white street sign logo.

https://twitter.com/karenwebbercpa/status/847287056279535616

Updated On: 3/31/17 at 10:17 AM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#886SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:32am

I didn't want to wait for them to get them at the theatre, so I ordered the souvenir brochure from the website... will post pics when (if?) it arrives.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#887SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/31/17 at 10:45am

chernjam said: "I didn't want to wait for them to get them at the theatre, so I ordered the souvenir brochure from the website... will post pics when (if?) it arrives."

They sure are dragging their feet on that one; how many sales do you think they've missed at this point? Hopefully they'll have them by the time I return at the end of April. Are there "representational" images from the souvenir program on the website?

10086sunset
#888SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/31/17 at 1:28pm

They were selling some sort of book there last weekend. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#889SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/31/17 at 2:25pm

10086sunset said: "They were selling some sort of book there last weekend."

By "book", do you literally mean a book (i.e., not a typical show program)?

10086sunset
#890SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/31/17 at 2:56pm

It looked quite like a program. It seemed to be filled with pictures of the production.

10086sunset
#891SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/31/17 at 2:56pm

double post

Updated On: 3/31/17 at 02:56 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#894SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/1/17 at 11:38am

chernjam said: "And a pretty in depth article from a trade magazine on the set -

Elegant decay for Sunset Boulevard

http://plsn.com/current-issue/73-inside-theatre/22273-elegant-decay-for-sunset-boulevard.html?utm_source=SM&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=InsdthtrSunset&utm_campaign=42795 
"

I just LOVE "behind the scenes" pieces like this - thanks for sharing!

MX888 Profile Photo
MX888
#895SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/1/17 at 1:25pm

chernjam said: "And a pretty in depth article from a trade magazine on the set -

Elegant decay for Sunset Boulevard

http://plsn.com/current-issue/73-inside-theatre/22273-elegant-decay-for-sunset-boulevard.html?utm_source=SM&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=InsdthtrSunset&utm_campaign=42795 
"

Great read! Thanks for sharing!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#896SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/2/17 at 4:22pm

So I mentioned at some point, that I had a box at home where I had kept clippings, articles, magazines, etc that I had collected during Sunset's original run.  Was finally able to go home, go to the attic and get it.  

I might have a problem :) SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances

10086sunset
#897SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/2/17 at 5:44pm

Thanks for sharing chernjam! I still have my copy of that issue of Variety.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#898SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/3/17 at 1:18am

Just stumbled upon this nostalgia - almost 22 years to the day SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#899SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/3/17 at 1:23am

A little more happier nostalgia: 

SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances

Videos