News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 37

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#900SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 12:18am

So in the mail today - I got the Sunset Blvd Souvenir Photo Book.  Not sure why it's not available at the theatre, The online site had it (ordered it last week).  Some really beautiful pictures here - beautiful keepsake from the show.  (Had promised myself, after getting every souvenir brochure from the original bway production that I wouldn't do that again, but couldn't resist)  Would post pics, but photo bucket doesn't seem to be working for me tonight

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#902SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:41am

chernjam said: "Had promised myself, after getting every souvenir brochure from the original bway production that I wouldn't do that again"

"Every"? How many were there?

chernjam said: "Would post pics, but photo bucket doesn't seem to be working for me tonight"

Photobucket never works for me. I can't see any of the pics you posted above. crying

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

frik
#903SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:01am

I don't think any photos were posted yet.

At least, I don't see any.

sk

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#904SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:45am

Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "Had promised myself, after getting every souvenir brochure from the original bway production that I wouldn't do that again"

"Every"? How many were there?

chernjam said: "Would post pics, but photo bucket doesn't seem to be working for me tonight"
photobucket never works for me. I can't see any of the pics you posted above. crying

"

That was a typo... Should have said - EVER getting a souvenir brochure... I remember thinking "why do I need this?" yet I couldn't pass it up.

Oh that stinks that the pics aren't coming up... had posted a few pics of when sunset was on the front page because of ALW-Glen feud - and some ads from the original production.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#905SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:51am

chernjam said: "...Should have said - EVER getting a souvenir brochure... I remember thinking "why do I need this?" yet I couldn't pass it up."

So there was just one souvenir program for the original Broadway production? I thought maybe they redid it when Betty took over.

chernjam said: "Oh that stinks that the pics aren't coming up... had posted a few pics of when sunset was on the front page because of ALW-Glen feud - and some ads from the original production."

It may just be me, viewing the site from behind a firewall.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#906SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 12:50pm

Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "...Should have said - EVER getting a souvenir brochure... I remember thinking "why do I need this?" yet I couldn't pass it up."

So there was just one souvenir program for the original Broadway production? I thought maybe they redid it when Betty took over.

chernjam said: "Oh that stinks that the pics aren't coming up... had posted a few pics of when sunset was on the front page because of ALW-Glen feud - and some ads from the original production."

It may just be me, viewing the site from behind a firewall.

"

Sorry Lot - feeling under the weather today and I mis read your post and mine...

Yes, I bought everY brochure (with Close in LA, broadway; buckley, Paige - and even have some of the UK ones)

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#907SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 1:31pm

chernjam said: "...I bought everY brochure (with Close in LA, broadway; buckley, Paige - and even have some of the UK ones)"

Oh, so they did produce a different version for each production and star?

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#908SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 1:49pm

For Broadway & London, they essentially just replaced the photos of Norma.  It was really easy on Broadway, because the main supporting cast stayed with the show, I believe it's entire run.

I believe the most sought after souvenir programs are from Australia & Germany (good be wrong on Germany).  The Canadian one was really unique in that it was shaped like an LP sleeve and had glorious color photos from that production.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#909SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 1:56pm

castlestreet said: "For Broadway & London, they essentially just replaced the photos of Norma.  It was really easy on Broadway, because the main supporting cast stayed with the show, I believe it's entire run. 

I believe the most sought after souvenir programs are from Australia & Germany (good be wrong on Germany).  The Canadian one was really unique in that it was shaped like an LP sleeve and had glorious color photos from that production.
"

Were there a lot of good photographs of the set in any of these?

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#910SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 10:01pm

There was book made from the original London Production.  I think it's hard to find but I had bought it years ago.  I grabbed a photo of it but can't seem to add it to the post.  It's called: Sunset Blvd: From Movie to Musical by George Perry with a foreword by Andrew Lloyd Webber. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#911SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:10pm

Buddy - I have that -and I think they released a soft-cover update (with the grey colored logo rather than the yellow/orange one) after the LA and London/relaunch.   It's a beautiful book giving some of the history.  But post LA, and how quickly things changed, it's understandable why they kind of dropped it and it wasn't sold at the Minskoff during its Broadway run :) 

Too bad they don't make books like that anymore.  Have the "Complete Aspects of Love" - another beautiful keepsake

MsDesmond1995 Profile Photo
MsDesmond1995
#912SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/4/17 at 11:33pm

Did you get book on the official show site? And I'm guessing they're selling the 2-disc 1994 L.A. Cast Recording at the theatre? Any word on if there will be a 2017 recording (sorry if it's been asked and answered)?

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#913SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 12:23am

MsDesmond1995 said: "Did you get book on the official show site? And I'm guessing they're selling the 2-disc 1994 L.A. Cast Recording at the theatre? Any word on if there will be a 2017 recording (sorry if it's been asked and answered)?"

Ah MsDesmond - we've been hoping, begging, tweeting ALW about a new 2017 recording.  No word, as of yet.  I know the cast was hoping for it.
And yes, the book - meaning the souvenir booklet - I purchased online (for some reason it hasn't been available at the theatre... at least not the last time that it was asked on here)

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#914SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 12:43am

Someone on eBay is currently a selling a Sunset lot with a playbill/ticket stub/bag and the new souvenir "photo book" so I'm assuming they have started to sell it at the theater. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#915SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 6:26am

chernjam said: "Buddy - I have that -and I think they released a soft-cover update (with the grey colored logo rather than the yellow/orange one) after the LA and London/relaunch.   It's a beautiful book giving some of the history.  But post LA, and how quickly things changed, it's understandable why they kind of dropped it and it wasn't sold at the Minskoff during its Broadway run :) 

Too bad they don't make books like that anymore.  Have the "Complete Aspects of Love" - another beautiful keepsake

Ah yes, I have the "Aspects of Love" book too.  Alas, after the whole LuPone debacle, ALW became one of my least favorite composers.

castlestreet
#916SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 10:31am

All of the original Sunset souvenir programs had excellent full color photos of the set, and Norma in her various costumes.  For a long time, the LA program was the only way to see Glenn in the final scene head dress.  Now that photo is more readily available online, and was even included in the booklet that accompanied the remastered American Premier Recording a few years back.

In regards to the Hardcover book-so much changed with the show after the revamped opening in LA-the book is nice to look at, and has some neat rehearsal shots of LuPone & Anderson, but not much else.

One side note about the Original London run program- there is a great shot of LuPone doing the Charlie Chaplin bit that was cut (it took place during "The Lady's Paying"SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances and outside of some footage available on YouTube, is the only surviving image of the cut segment.  

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#917SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 11:26am

Can I just be friends with all of you? I love reading this...I was talking with this guy that saw this SUNSET revival 28 times. I love it.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

10086sunset
#918SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 1:48pm

It's certainly nice getting the chance to share thoughts with others who love the show.

Maybe we should all go on a field trip to see Sunset together.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#919SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 1:49pm

10086sunset said: "It's certainly nice getting the chance to share thoughts with others who love the show.

Maybe we should all go on a field trip to see Sunset together.
"

As lovely as that sounds, I'm afraid it would be quite difficult to organize. smiley I, for one, don't live in or around NY.

castlestreet
#920SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 4:43pm

When Sunset came out I was already really into Phantom & Les Miz, but Sunset was the first show to totally take me by storm.  I became obsessed with all things Sunset, and of course with all the various controversies, it was in the entertainment news cycle non-stop for about a year or so.  Living in Upstate NY, there was a ton of local publicity for the Canadian premier, so I was getting daily doses of my favorite show.

It being in the theater news so much this year has been great to relive all things Sunset!

It was the show that took my life in a much different direction, and what I attribute the theater playing such a major role in my life.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#921SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 6:57pm

castlestreet said: "When Sunset came out I was already really into Phantom & Les Miz, but Sunset was the first show to totally take me by storm.  I became obsessed with all things Sunset, and of course with all the various controversies, it was in the entertainment news cycle non-stop for about a year or so.  Living in Upstate NY, there was a ton of local publicity for the Canadian premier, so I was getting daily doses of my favorite show.

It being in the theater news so much this year has been great to relive all things Sunset!

It was the show that took my life in a much different direction, and what I attribute the theater playing such a major role in my life.
"

That's funny castlestreet - I kind of feel similarly.  The only difference was the only show I really got into by then was Aspects of Love (first broadway musical I ever saw) which blew me away...  And so I got into all of ALW's works after that (The "Premiere Recording" with a bunch of his top songs from the different musicals) - so I guess that got me eagerly anticipating his new work (which I remember reading in the Aspects playbill "he is currently working on a musical adaptation of Sunset Boulevard."SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances   So in those pre-Internet days, going to the library each week for Variety and Theatre week to see if there was any news or updates about it.  Like you, it's been very nostalgic for me to have all this Sunset news here in the US again, in a major way.

Did you see the Canadian production?  That always seemed an odd one for me.  Dihann Carroll seemed miscast to me (vocally she just sounded weird and the videos I've seen she seemed to be overacting).  It's interesting that in Sunset discussions over all the different Normas, she's rarely mentioned.  I'm just curious what you thought if you saw it.  Particularly since Livenet seemed to have spent lavishly on that production  as well.

Oh and the group trip to see Sunset - I'd love to be in with you all.  Would be fun to meet you all.  I'm hoping to make my second visit this Saturday afternoon

carnzee
#922SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 8:04pm

I just tried to purchase a ticket. I couldn't find a 'will call' option. I always prefer will call to print at home. It seems like I had the same issue when I ordered a Hamilton ticket. Does the Palace not offer a will call option? Thanks.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#923SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/5/17 at 8:16pm

carnzee said: "I just tried to purchase a ticket. I couldn't find a 'will call' option. I always prefer will call to print at home. It seems like I had the same issue when I ordered a Hamilton ticket. Does the Palace not offer a will call option? Thanks.

I used "Will Call" at the Palace through Ticketmaster in February. 

Updated On: 4/5/17 at 08:16 PM

castlestreet
#924SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 7:36am

Did you see the Canadian production?  That always seemed an odd one for me.  Dihann Carroll seemed miscast to me (vocally she just sounded weird and the videos I've seen she seemed to be overacting).  It's interesting that in Sunset discussions over all the different Normas, she's rarely mentioned.  I'm just curious what you thought if you saw it.  Particularly since Livenet seemed to have spent lavishly on that production  as well.

Oh and the group trip to see Sunset - I'd love to be in with you all.  Would be fun to meet you all.  I'm hoping to make my second visit this Saturday afternoon

"

So- I did not actually get to see it, but my best friend and his family took a trip up to Toronto.  Back in the mid-90's Livent was still a major player, and anything that Drabinsky did up there was an event.  Recently some new videos have surfaced of that production on YouTube, and show that her Norma was much different than the others.  The show ran a much shorter run than anyone had thought it would and closed at a massive financial loss in Canada, even after the move to North York.  Interestingly enough- I remember reading years ago that the role in Toronto was originally going to go to Buckley, and when RUG found out that was Drabinsky's intent, they offered her Glenn's replacement on Broadway first.

Videos