pixeltracker

Official FRINGENYC Thread!- Page 4

Official FRINGENYC Thread!

BroadwayFan4 Profile Photo
BroadwayFan4
#75re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/18/09 at 5:03pm

My Fringe Report Card

VOTE! was awful. Awful. It made no sense. Deidre Goodwin did the best she could w/ a horribly written role.

A show I've seen no one mention, HISTORY OF COBBLING had me rolling in the aisles. Hysterically funny.

AMERICA'S NEXT TOP BOTTOM was cute. I laughed. It was inappropriate at many times, but I laughed. If it went on for ten more minutes it would have begun to be tedious, like...

CITIZEN RUTH. It started off really strong and progressively got worse. Some very, very funny moments, but very tedious by the end. The Ruth character was so unlikeable that you almost didn't care if she had her baby or not and her songs had no melody so it was just wailing.

wexy
#76re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/18/09 at 7:47pm

I have heard so little about Fringe this year in the press or from people i know, I haven't seen any of the programs which were always around.
I'll probably catch a couple but still .........

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

HoboNumberThree
#77re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/18/09 at 8:00pm

Hey folks,
Jon back with some more Zipperface!!?!: The Hobo Musical propaganda.
We've sold out our first three nights and I'd love for some of the real musical fans on the thread to get in. Only two performances still have seats available.

Also, check out a video of our song "Today!" (taken from the tech booth during our opening night).
http://www.whoiszipperface.com/blog/?p=121
The main female singer is Lauren Perri, who is absolutely fantastic in the show.
Cheers!

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#78re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/19/09 at 12:57am

Something seriously incredible is going-down in FringeNYC... and it goes by the name ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Just, plain, WOW!

Yes, the entire Fringe run is sold-out.
Yes, it is likely to get an encore performance 8/30.
Yes, it is direct from its hit run at the SF Playhouse
Yes, there are rumors it will have an Off-Bway run in September

And YES you NEED to beg, borrow, steal or sex your way into this production!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#79re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:18am

Saw "How Now, Dow Jones" last night and loved, loved, loved it! I've always been a big fan of the cast recording, and it was nice to finally give the songs some context.

I thought the trimming of the book was well done, and kept the production humming along at a fine clip. I have been singing "Walk Away" and "Big Trouble" since I left the theater.

I think there are still two performances left, so try to make it down to Minetta Lane!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#80re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/19/09 at 11:17am

You're right Broadwayfan4, I've seen 4 shows at the fringe so far, and A History of Cobbling was BY FAR, the funniest thing I've seen. My sides ached from laughing so hard. I want to say, without sounding like a Shill, that it was maybe one of the funniest plays I've seen in NY since moving to NY two years ago. and it was only 45 minutes so that was a plus.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

kryst22 Profile Photo
kryst22
#81re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:44pm

Curtain Up's report of some of the Fringe Shows:
http://www.curtainup.com/fringe09.html

TheatreGuy5
#82re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/20/09 at 12:55pm

So far I have liked several shows. Some disappointments, of course, but that is to be expected with so much going on at the Fringe. Really liked Zipperface, How Now Dow Jones, Sorority Queen in a Mobile Home and A Contemporary American's Guide to a Successful Marriage. Vote and Citizen Ruth were a bit of a let down. But I am really enjoying the Fringe experience!

sweetTb'way Profile Photo
sweetTb'way
#83re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/21/09 at 12:02am

I saw A Contemporary American's Guide to a Successful Marriage this afternoon and absolutely loved it!
So well written, directed, and acted. Just so tightly put together for a Fringe show. Nothing was in excess. And Autumn Hurlbert was an absolute delight as was the entire cast.
Try not to miss this one. I think they have one more show tomorrow at 2pm but hopefully it will get extended.

wexy
#84re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/21/09 at 12:07am

I saw "Ether Seeds" and "Dream Lovers" which were OK.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#85re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/21/09 at 12:04pm

So far I've seen:

Truth Values
Groupies
Winnemucca
Dancing With Ghosts
Viral
Pie-Face
Dolls
Citizen Ruth
Tales from the Tunnel
Clemenza and Tessio are Dead
...I would pick Citizen Ruth, Groupies and Viral, in that order, as my top three.

I have tickets for the following this weekend:
Abe Lincoln's Big Gay Dance Party
Gutter Star
Jesus Ride
Doctors and Devils
A Fine Line
The Antarctic Chronicles
Citizen Ruth (again)

What a fun festival!!!

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#86re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/21/09 at 12:38pm

I saw "30 Minutes or Less" Tuesday, their opening night (thanks to PR from the producer who is a member of BWW). This show is GREAT, it actually discusses a serious issue while being very entertaining. The show is about stereotypes and using them/overcoming them while also taking on the media the idea of true friendship. The script, cast, direction and even scene change and curtain call music was all great. The one area that could use some work was the lighting, which was not bright enough in a few scenes.

The show did run a little long, but that has more to do with the venue manager not ending intermission on time than on the show.

This is the first show I have seen at this year's Festival that I actually enjoyed, and I am recommending it to everyone. This is what the fringe should be, starving artists doing brilliant theatre that makes you think, not untalented hacks from reality TV doing crappy shows.

It has 3 more shows, and you really should try to go!

* Friday, August 21 at 10:00pm
* Sunday, August 23 at 12:00pm
* Thursday, August 27 at 9:30pm

ps- Time Out NY loved it, 4 stars (better than most of the Fringe shows this year): http://newyork.timeout.com/events/fringe-festival/298141/thirty-minutes-or-less

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#87re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/21/09 at 1:13pm

http://www.nytheatre-i.com/2009/08/fringenyc-popular-shows.html

I haven't heard a single thing about the show that ranks first here. Anyone going to see it?

RentBoy86
#88re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/22/09 at 1:43am

Anyone see "Far Out" ?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#89re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/22/09 at 8:52am

I'm going to "Far Out" on Wednesday. Saw "Gutter Star" last night and it was pretty dreadful. It would have worked a lot better as a Charles Busch show, and it needed to be really campy, but was instead just boring.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

CFK
#90re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/22/09 at 4:29pm

Jen & Angie, played at the UCB a couple years ago, and starts its 4 show run this Thursday at The Actors' Playhouse. It's a great use of $15. :)

wexy
#91re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/22/09 at 5:02pm

I saw "The Antarctic Chronicles" yesterday. Thought it was fun.

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#92re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/22/09 at 8:00pm

I saw Abraham Lincoln and Population 8 this afternoon.

Abraham Lincoln's Big Gay Dance Party was much weightier (in a good way) than I had feared. It was very funny, but also took the time to not sledgehammer the message home by making the issues totally black and white. It also didn't try to address whether or not Mr. Lincoln was gay. I thought it was one of the best things I've seen at the Fringe.

Population 8 is a pretty odd play, but it's also really good. It's a slice of life look at a bunch of interconnected lives, who each inhabit a geographically limited world. I found myself caring about each of their stories. Also one of the better things I've seen at the Fringe.

Heading back out shortly to see Jesus Ride. I'm hoping for a hat trick.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

ZiggyCringe
#93re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/22/09 at 8:54pm

HOW NOW, DOW JONES.

After Eight
#94re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/23/09 at 12:31am

I saw "Far Out." I'd call it genial but not sharply satirical. The score was catchy, and would be worth hearing again. There are a number of funny bits, but the problem is the whole 50's sci fi spoofing has been done so many times already.

Peachy
#95re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/23/09 at 1:49am

Got a message tonight in my Facebook inbox from Aaron Loeb:

Abe Has Added A Show!
To all guests of Abraham Lincoln's Big, Gay Dance Party at FringeNYC

We're delighted to announce that FringeNYC has added a show to the previously Sold Out run of Abraham Lincoln's Big Gay Dance Party!

The new performance is on Thursday, August 27 at 4PM (same location as other shows).

If you had hoped to see Abe but missed your chance due to sell outs (or have friends in that position), now's your chance.

Get tickets here:
http://www.abrahamlincolnsbiggaydanceparty.com/tickets.htm

Letstalk
#96re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/23/09 at 9:43pm

This belongs on this thread, I did not see the Fring thread first, sorry. Tell all your Fringe performing friends, I know many shows still have performances and need audiences and the press will be out in full force for this one.

Show up at the Bleeker Theatre 45 Bleeker on Tuesday at 7:00.

Puppetry of the Penis, which started as a fringe show has invited Fringe performers to promote their show from the stage.

Get up, do a stunt trick with the boys, get introduced and postcards to the entire audience.

You just know the men with the courage to show up WILL get press coverage. They can send e mail to potppromotesfringe@yahoo.com or just show up at 7:00 on Tuesday.

Who will have the courage? Who needs the audience?

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#97re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/23/09 at 10:42pm

Back from vacation and ready to jump back into the swing of things. SO GREAT to hear so many others are seeing some great great shows.

Planning to see DOLLS on Tuesday
I am seeing FAR OUT on Wednesday
I am seeing BABY WANTS CANDY on Thursday
Hoping to see CAMP WANATACHI on Friday
and WILLY NILLY on Saturday

Great news that ABE LINCOLN added another show!

Ravenal
#98re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/24/09 at 12:33am

Hey! did anyone else catch Devil Boy's From Beyond at the Actor's Playhouse? Aside from being completely sold-out, a unanimous standing ovation was given!! What a perfect show to end the summer with, high camp and guaranteed hilarity, plus Everett Quinton, Andy Halliday and those hot little Devil Boys!Run and get tix if you still can!

RentBoy86
#99re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/24/09 at 7:27am

HOW NOW DOW JONES was so good! What a pleasant surprise! Great songs and a funny, interesting story! I wish this show had more "bulk" to it, but as it stands, I don't see it having any sort of major revival even though it is quite timely.

Also, so HINT. It was okay, but not the best written or most interesting show, but I thought it was pretty cute/funny, and some of the songs were rather catchy. And the girl play Thelma has an incredible voice, so that was worth my ticket!

Videos