pixeltracker

2011 Drama Desk Award Winners- Page 4

2011 Drama Desk Award Winners

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#752011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:17pm

I'm with most of the posters here who have problems with WAR HORSE winning for Best Play (and likely to win the Tony as well) – as it is the PRODUCTION that is deserving of all the hoopla, not the script. Would much rather see one of the other Play nominees win the Tony Award.

Thrilled to see Mr. Butz recognized for his work. The biggest problem with him getting a Tony this season is (like so many have said) the size of the role, not the quality of his performance. This man is so hugely talented as an actor and musical comedy performer, and I'm glad that his performance in CATCH was honored with a win by one award organization. He's never anything less than great!

One of the most positive aspects of the Drama Desk winners is the fact that they now create more actual suspense with the Tonys. The only ones I think are a “lock” are Laura Benanti, The Book of Mormon for Best Musical, and Anything Goes for Best Revival of Musical (as if that category this year is not a joke) and The Normal for Best Revival of a Play – and possibly Frances McDormand and Mark Rylance.

Congrats to all Drama Desk winners!

bwaydreamer
#762011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:27pm

Benanti is one of my favorite performers but I don't think she should win or will win the Tony. She did a great job but it was the only good part in a terrible show among terrible characters. Nikki James is giving a much better performance in mormon. And O'malley's character does have resolution you just have to listen to the lyrics he sings in the end and actually think. I guess BOM was just too smart for some of you.

I did like the Cannavale win. I'm not sure he will win the tony but it makes it an interesting three way race between Mantello, Rylance and him.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#772011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:42pm

I guess BOM was just too smart for some of you.

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

ok!

bwayfan7000
#782011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:46pm

I don't think that is the issue. I think Benanti gave a much better performance than James. I think Benanti had much better material than James. I think Women on the Verge may have been too smart for you.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 5/24/11 at 03:46 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#792011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:48pm

James has great material, and she is giving a great performance.

BUT Benanti's performance is fantastic and being remembered months after it closes, if James has been in the same position I don't think her performance has the staying power, great as it is.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bwaydreamer
#802011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:50pm

Women on the verge was not smart. That's why it A) closed and B) got panned

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#812011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:54pm

And it was remembered with 4 Outer Critics Circle, 6 Drama Desk, and 3 Tony nominations.

IdinaBellFoster
#822011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:56pm

Did you see the show and/or listen to the cast recording? It had it's problems but it was a smart, daring new musical.

But if you'd like to go see THE ADDAMS FAMILY again and experience some groundbreaking, thought-provoking theatre, please don't hesitate.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bwayfan7000
#832011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:59pm

For the record, here, I really liked Book of Mormon. I don't think, however, that if people didn't like it, that it was because they didn't "get" it. I liked James, but not nearly as much as Benanti (or even Clark). The performance Benanti gave in WOTV is undeniable, and James certainly doesn't have a moment like Model Behavior anywhere in the show.

bwaydreamer
#842011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:00pm

Saw the show. Hated it. Listened to the music, even worse. Just because shows get nominated for awards doesn't mean they are good. It means there aren't enough good shows to get nominated. The only its winning for is Benanti because she's awesome and it was the only good role in the show. But she doesn't deserve the tony and won't win. Sorry guys. Buy your tissues now.

IdinaBellFoster
#852011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:02pm

"It means there aren't enough good shows to get nominated."

WOMEN ON THE VERGE beat out CATCH ME and BLOODY BLOODY for Best Score, so don't pull that crap.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#862011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:04pm

It means there aren't enough good shows to get nominated.

That's an idiotic statement. Other scores (Catch Me and Bloody) could have been nominated, but they weren't, because VERGE is a superior score.

bwayfan7000
#872011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:07pm

And we're only talking about Benanti here. She was nominated because she deserved it. Though the show closed quickly and didn't get great reviews, SHE got great reviews. And has won several awards for her performance already, even though it's closed. And I'll agree with your statement that she's awesome. She is, and I think she'll win. And I'm clearly not the only one who thinks that.

IdinaBellFoster
#882011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:10pm

^Agreed.

And to rip apart your idiotic statement about WOMEN ON THE VERGE being a category filler, Laura & Patti beat out plenty of other women for their nominations including: Laura Osnes, Marla Mindelle, Rose Hemingway, Kerry Butler, among others.

bwaydreamer
#892011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:16pm

Everyone knows Patti was only nominated on her name.

Katia2 Profile Photo
Katia2
#902011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:26pm

Actually I think Patti was wringing all of the depth she possibly could've out of a rather badly written role, to great results. It's not so obvious to me that she doesn't deserve the nominations she's gotten.
Updated On: 5/24/11 at 04:26 PM

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#912011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:28pm

I didn't have the chance to see Women on the Verge, but have been obsessively listening to the cast recording since it was released digitally, and have to say that it deserved all the nominations (and wins) it has received.

Benanti gives a tour-de-force performance in Model Behavior, and I think it's foolish to bet against her for the Tony with Outer Critics' Circle and Drama Desk Awards in her pocket.

LuPone, while she could have been nominated just for her name, gave a beautiful performance in Invisible and deserves the nominations she received for that song alone.

David Yazbek's score is truly terrific; fresh and original, and elevated to extremes by the talent performing it! The orchestrations are terrific, too.

I just wish Sherie Renee Scott could have gotten into the Lead Actress race! While Sutton Foster would have easily beat her regardless, she gives a wonderful performance!

uptowndowntown
#922011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:30pm

I just hope War Horse doesn't win for best play. That would be crazy. For its production values, sure. Ven for direction possibly, ok. But play? Over its excellently written competition? I certainly hope not.

beautywickedlover
#932011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 4:54pm

"The only ones I think are a “lock” are Laura Benanti, The Book of Mormon for Best Musical, and Anything Goes for Best Revival of Musical (as if that category this year is not a joke) and The Normal for Best Revival of a Play – and possibly Frances McDormand and Mark Rylance."

I think Sutton is pretty much of a lock right now. Last year it was neck to neck between Catherine Zeta-Jones and Montego Glover because they both tied at the Outer Critcs Circle and Drama Desk Awards, but Zeta-Jones won the Tony. So far, Sutton has been winning all of the awards.

Updated On: 5/24/11 at 04:54 PM

GimmeABreak2
#942011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 5:54pm

Do these 'preliminary' awards (Drama Desk, Drama League, Outer Critics, etc.) share voting members with Tony voters in the way that, say, the SAG awards represents a large pool of Academy Awards voters?

Updated On: 5/24/11 at 05:54 PM

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#952011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 6:22pm

I don't disagree with you beautywickedlover, concerning Sutton Foster, but I didn't include her in my "lock"(s) because that category has been known for its unpredictability in the past. Just when you think yoy know where it's going... whammo! Don't write off Patina Miller completely. I do think she's the only one of the nominees who could possibly prevail over the fabulous Ms. Foster.

Brick
#962011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 7:33pm

I absolutely think Benanti and LuPone deserved their nominations this season.

The show definitely needed some major work, but both of their performances were huge standouts to me. Nearly every single review mentioned both "Model Behavior" and "Invisible" as successful moments in the show, and I feel it is fair to say it in in part due to the characters they created.

Say you didn't like the show, or they didn't deserve nods, but there are some people who think their performances were highlights in a troubled show, and highlights in the season.

beautywickedlover
#972011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 8:56pm

"that category has been known for its unpredictability in the past. Just when you think yoy know where it's going... whammo! Don't write off Patina Miller completely. I do think she's the only one of the nominees who could possibly prevail over the fabulous Ms. Foster."

This is true. I just remembered that Idina Menzel did not win the Drama Desk or Outer Critics Circle Aawrd in 2004, but she eventually won the Tony for "Wicked."
Updated On: 5/24/11 at 08:56 PM

Brick
#982011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 9:28pm

I think the Drama Desk's spread the love a lot more than the Tonys will. Norbert Leo Butz? Really?

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#992011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 9:40pm

^I hope so.

I'm really happy/surprised that Bobby Cannavale won. I thought for sure it was going to go to Rylance but I have no complaints about Bobby winning.

Videos