pixeltracker

West End's Funny Girl opens tonight- Page 4

West End's Funny Girl opens tonight

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#75West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/3/15 at 8:41am

Smiths reviews are outstanding. I was so suprised to see so many US members on here question her casting, I knew she would pull this off, she's electric on the stage. 

'

f Sheridan Smith was a star before the lights went up on Funny Girl last night, she was twice the star by the time she took the thunderous curtain-call.

At a stroke – well, over the course of two and half exhilarating hours – she has done what no actress has managed to do since this musical’s 1964 Broadway premiere. That is, follow in Barbra Streisand’s footsteps as the irrepressible Ziegfeld Follies comedienne Fanny Brice and, not only play the part for the first time on the London stage in 50 years, but do so with such terrific aplomb that she has finally laid to rest the idea that no one but Streisand (who made her name in the role) could pull it off.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/funny-girl-menier-chocolate-factory-review-sheridan-smith-pulls/

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

edcrum
#76West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/3/15 at 9:40am

mallardo said: "Reviews are very positive and it has been extended in the West End (before it even opens there) until Sept 10, 2016. 

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/dec/03/funny-girl-review-sheridan-smith-menier-chocolate-factory

Spot on review from The Guardian

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#77West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/3/15 at 9:46am

"The Music That Makes Me Dance" is a fantastic song in its own right and not self-pitying like "My Man," 

It is a fantastic song in its own right, as is My Man, but they are both anthems of self-effacement and self-pity.

"I'm a much better comic than mathematician, 'cuz I'm better on stage than at intermission, and as far as the man is concerned, if I've been burned, I haven't learned.....  He'll sleep and he'll rise in the light of two eyes that adore him, bore him it might but he won't leave my sight for a glance... (repeated!)... In every way, every day, I need less of myself and need more him..."

bryan2
#78West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/3/15 at 11:12am

The Music that Makes me Dance....great song

Coronet Man   great song

Funny Girl song in the movie was a nice song

Id rather be Blue also a great song

But I will always prefer the OBC

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#79West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/3/15 at 11:28am

Well I have to disagree with The Stage that Act II has no good music - maybe it's just that people who know the music aren't familiar enough with Who Re You Now and Music That Kakes Me Dance. This sounds really solid and pretty much the best it could be. Sounds like Fierstein has not done too much to change it. Really wish I could see. 

EricMontreal22
#80West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/3/15 at 1:28pm

Their facebook page has released 20 or so production stills.  Looks great (I assume the backdrop--there seems to be just one--will be more elaborate when it transfers to the Savoy--the Menier is a TINY stage after all.)

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#81West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/3/15 at 4:00pm

Eric, which Facebook page are the photos on? I looked on the Menier page but they just have rehearsal photos, and I can't find a page for the actual production or the Savoy.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

EricMontreal22
#82West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/3/15 at 4:51pm

The official channel is Funny Girl the Musical

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#83West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/4/15 at 2:10pm

Thanks for clarifying Eric, I was struggling to find them too.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#84West End's Funny Girl opens tonight
Posted: 12/4/15 at 3:11pm

Extension to September 2016 was announced.  Got my tickets!  Funny Girl and Harry Potter in the same weekend.  I'm so excited!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos