pixeltracker

Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act- Page 4

Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act

HatBoy
#75re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 7:13pm

"I went to the 2pm today and right off the bat, I knew something was wrong with Sho. Her Wizard and I wasn't strong and she wouldn't hit any of the higher notes. My first thought was "is she sick?" And the answer is YES!

In the middle of the first half, right after popular (the classroom scene), Saycon came on and was Elphaba for the rest of the performance. I was VERY disappointed, but Saycon did admirably with the quick notice and stuff. It was just very unusual watching Sho run off at the end of popular and Saycon come on to do the flip flip at the next scene.

Let's see, the bloops were small. In NOMTW, the person couldn't get Megan unhooked during Megan's speech about her and Elphie meeting at school. Good 'ol Megan improvised and added more dialogue to stall.
Popular had a small bloop with Megan throwing the wand. She chucks it off stage, then both her and Sho stop and look off stage. Apparently the wand hit someone or something. Megan turns to Sho and goes "oohh, that sounded like it hurt." Sho smiles and mimics a baseball pitcher and mouths "higher" to Megan. It was cute, but quick.

It was very noticeable, poor Sho, of her being sick. I hope she's there tonight and definitely for tomorrow. Sho's such a trooper for attempting to play Elphaba today. I could even tell Saycon was sick cause she was coughing the entire time and I thought she would lose a lung during defying gravity ( she went to pick up the grimmerie and literally doubled over from coughing). Everyone's getting sick! Ugh!

I hope Sho feels better and I'll put all my weekend reviews in this thread so that I don't inundate the board with all my reviews. I know this wasn't that great of a review/blooper since sho wasn't in it. Megan was fantabulous (isn't she always??!!)!!!
I'll have tonight's review up after the show Hope she's in it and feels better!!"

And

"Saycon was okay cause, honestly, I think she's pretty sick too. She was coughing throughout the show!
However, I know ppl have been saying Michelle wasn't in or whoever, but everyone was in except for Ben (Anthony Galde went on) and later Sho. What a trooper to attempt to do the show.
I'm leaving now for tonight's show...we'll see what happens..."

Sigh.

...now under the user "aawolfe".

Swiftynifty15
#76re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 7:19pm

I think I saw that review. Thanks for posting it. re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act. re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act.

Broadway_Boy
#77re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 7:22pm

Oh I hope Ben Vereen is not there tomorrow.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#78re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 7:25pm

I thought poor Shoshana was sick....I was thinking that as I saw the show last night, (Friday 1/6/06).

Here's a summary of what I thought:

She did an incredible job despite her being ill though...and apparantly the conductor knew that she wasn't feeling well too, as some of the tempos of songs were sped up slightly (The Wizard and I) for example. And she gave him a funny acknowledgement at the curtain call....I guess for helping her get through the show, and going along with her on the tempos.

She still sounded great, but I knew that she could give more when she really wants to and is in better shape, and I wasn't dissapointed at all. She still is the best Elphaba vocally. I know some people are not fans of her riffs in this show, but when she does it, they really reflect the character's emotion(s) at the time, and they are beautiful. Her rendition of "I'm Not That Girl" is so sweetly sung, heartfelt, and well acted, it was the first time I've ever been touched by that song. Her "Wizard and I" is fantastic as well...I loved her little riff on the lyric "when I meet the Wizard, my whole life will change" (perfect example of her riffs reflecting Elphaba's emotion).

I also think that she is an excellent and smart singer. Her usage of vocal dynamics are smart and character driven. And the reason why I say this, is that because instead of blowing out her voice just for the sake of being LOUD, like some previous Elphabas (who shall remain nameless, lest I start a war on the boards) she knows when to give a powerful belt, knows what notes to mix, and knows when to sing something in a beautiful head voice tone, and incorporate it into the acting. But an example of this is when she did "The Wizard and I" last night. She sang some of the sections of it softer than she usually does, I'm guessing because she wasn't feeling well, but she picked strategic points in the song, and incorporated the acting with it, that still made it very enjoyable, and perhaps more interesting that previous incarnations and performances of the song. One example was on the lyric "for half of Oz's favorite team...." but then she full blast belted out the remainder of the song..."the WIZARD.....and IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!"

(I'm a DORK.)

I guess she really buckled down, and felt that she needed to give the audience what they came to see when it came to "Defying Gravity" because there were no holds barred, and she tore it up. It was simply thrilling. With the riffs towards the end of the song like she usually does.

"No Good Deed" was great. She didn't do her big riff she usually does at the end on "Again", but it was still good, and thrilling to watch.

The best thing that I liked about her peformance though, is that she allowed for Elphaba to be funny...Shoshana is REALLY funny. Who knew that Elphaba had a sense of humor? I never thought that Elphaba was funny when I saw it with Idina. Shoshana didn't sacrifice the serious moments for comedy, nor was she a ham, but she really picked up on the comedic moments of Elphaba's and excelled.

I am going to miss her.

This was my first time seeing Megan Hilty, and I thought that she did a good job. I REALLY missed Kristin at times, but I enjoyed Megan more than JLT. Out of the previous Glindas before, she was the most serious in the beginning of the show, and it was VERY different, and interesting to watch. But when it came to Popular, Megan REALLY had people rolling. She was excellent. And did I mention that she was gorgeous? And vocally, she's terrific. She was a treat.

Rue McClanahan was very funny as well. I thought that she was terrific. This was my first time seeing her too. I couldn't believe I was watching Blanche Deboreaux playing Madam Morrible. I was thrilled. She really cracked me up on some of her vocal inflictions too.

Ben Vereen. Wow. Seeing one of my heroes on stage, in one of my favorite shows......wow! He really made the most out of the Wizard, and when it came to Wonderful, he really shined. It was great seeing someone so talented as him on the stage. I was thrilled.

Overall, the show was very good. The ensemble seemed not to be as energetic as they were when the whole OBC was doing this show, but they still did a wonderful job, and the dancing was still fun to watch.

Just my 2 cents. Wish I could see Shoshana one last time.

Cheers,

The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

greenegirl87
#79re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 7:25pm

Ahh, but I love Mr. Vereen as the Wizard! But I am not going to be there tomorrow, so I am not incredibly concerned with this, but it would be nice for Sho if most of the cast shes worked with is there (..assuming she goes on!!!)

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#80re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 8:05pm

In the unlikely event that shoshana can't go on AND Saycon can't go on AND Brandi can't go on, i'm sure the producers will put Eden in. She has been rehearsed and she has played the role before. But again... unlikely.

And i think saying you're sure SHoshana will be on tomorrow is very wishful thinking. If she really is sick and can't sing it, the producers won't put her on, last show or not. the reality is that people pay a lot of $$ to see the show, and those who have not a clue in the world who shoshana bean is, are expecting to see an excellent show... one worth their $110 or more dollars. Someone singing flat, strainging their voice and singing an octave lower than it was written is not what ppl will want to see.

BSoBW2
#81re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 8:33pm

This is just more evidence that not only can Idina act and sing better, but she also knows how to go out with a bang.

And Idina never fell of the stage...

I rest my case.

re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act

bwayondabrain
#82re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 8:51pm

haha
whens shoshana's last perf.
cant wait for eden, but ill miss shoshana- she was amazing as elphaba, very funny, very dramatic, and her "no good deed"- there are no words to describe how good that was, i mean, i just looked at my sister at the end of that song with a wide open mouth, it was unbelievable!
feel better, sho!

.LittleWing. 0224
#83re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:07pm

her last day is tomorrow...

Broadway_Boy
#84re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:10pm

Are you sure? How do you know?

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#85re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:17pm

Idina never fell off the stage. Just through it.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Ebonic_Singer
#86re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:18pm

And she better freaking be there tomorrow or I'll demand a refund (no I won't. But still).

.LittleWing. 0224
#87re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:19pm

you could get your money back. She's a principal and she gets top billing so if she's out the box office will give you a return.

aslarson05
#88re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:19pm

How does who know what?

exedore
#89re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:35pm

"you could get your money back. She's a principal and she gets top billing so if she's out the box office will give you a return."

Actually, you couldn't. The rule is that their name has to be above the title, and after Idina, Kristen, and Joel left, they haven't put anybody else's name there. The point in putting actors above the title is to use your cast to sell the show. The show no longer needs to do that, so nobody appears above the title. The best you could do is get an exchange for another night.

Broadway_Boy
#90re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:41pm

How does she know that tomorrow is definately going to be the last performance for Shoshanna? Also I am pretty sure Wicked will not gladly refund your ticket. Even though the leads are billed above the title on the obcr they are not in front of the theater.

and popcultureboy, Shoshanna fell off the stage during a performance that's what BSoBW2 was saying that Idina has never fell of the stage. But like falling through the stage is going out with a bang??

Updated On: 1/7/06 at 09:41 PM

Blue J
#91re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:53pm

Broadway Boy - Shoshana's contract ends tomorrow and Eden Espinosa is taking over the role of Elphaba on the 10th...so, yes, Shoshana's last show is in fact tomorrow.

Broadway_Boy
#92re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:09pm

Ummmm i know, but someone made it sound like it's official and I want to know if it is indeed official because I am going and I care.

greenegirl87
#93re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:11pm

How about you stop being snotty and use the search function, there has only been about 50 headlines about the Wicked cast changes? I would do it for you but your attitude towards someone who was legitimately answering the question you asked completely removes any desire to help you.

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#94re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:15pm

Yes, the 8th is Shoshana's official last day.

ShoBean4everElphie
#95re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:16pm

umm, YES YOU CAN GET A REFUND TOMORROW IF SHO IS OUT. i did it today. if a principle is out u can get ur money back.

and according to david ayers and megan hilty, shoshana will indeed be there tomorrow and she is resting tonight

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#96re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:17pm

yes, tomorrow is definately Sho's last. I don't know what you mean by "official", but if all these sources are wrong, then...

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=6084
https://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=521963
https://www.playbill.com/news/article/96489.html

www.kickfornick.com

Ebonic_Singer
#97re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:38pm

ShoBean--how do you know this???

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#98re: Shoshana leaves half way through 1st act
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:45pm