pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 4

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#75re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:24pm

it was aimed at anyone who would say that the producers are bringing this show to bway only because ebersole got raves. that's foolish.

this show is definitely going to cost more than sweeney--it looks like it's a gorgeous production and that costs.

these may be minimal helps, but the musical is based on a historic documentary that has reached cult status. it's about jackie o's family, which could grab certain people.

when did caroline start previews?

I've worked on other musicals that didn't sell well and they ran until the tonys because the producers fought through the bad weeks.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#76re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:25pm

So what if the show is being done on Broadway simply because of Ebersole's raves? There are producers who are willing to lose money because they feel so strongly about her performance they want others to see it.

There are always going to be some wonderful producers who mount productions on Broadway knowing they will lose every single penny they invest simply because they love the material.

I think the producers behind last years SWEENEY felt that way and were totally surprised to actually turn a profit. Contrast that though with WELL - which lost millions - but at the producers' happy expense.

I'm thrilled so many "fresh" things are being done on Broadway, though the truth is, a lot of these things are being done ON Broadway because OFF BROADWAY is such a broken formula.

GG is also probably being done on Broadway because the show has a reasonable chance to do pretty well on the regional circuit after it closes in New York. "Direct from Broadway." or "The Tony Award Winning New Musical" always look better on a poster than "The Off Broadway Smash Hit..."

Updated On: 9/14/06 at 03:25 PM

Yankeefan007
#77re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:29pm

I'm happily planning to buy Grey Gardens tickets on Saturday, before I see subUrbia (which, from what I hear, deserves a transfer).

I, for one, thought Souvenir was a fantastic showcase for the team of Kaye & Corren. They had undeniable chemistry, but the show did run too long. Lots could have been taken out and it would have had the same impact.

Good luck, Grey Gardens. Why couldn't you have come in last season?

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#78re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:39pm

"Monk - Curtains (Tony loves her)"

I thought Curtains was coming in 07-08! Dangit!

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#79re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:47pm

I was under the impression that CURTAINS was coming next season as well.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#80re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:47pm

I really want Celia to be nominated, and I think there's quite a good chance she will be.

MargoChanning
#81re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:50pm

CURTAINS will be here in the Spring (if not sooner).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

munkustrap178
#82re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:51pm

Excellent!

This is shaping up to be a great year for new musicals. I guess it makes up for last season!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

AshleyBrownFan123
#83re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:55pm

"CURTAINS will be here in the Spring (if not sooner)."

No! Why do that and the unescessary 110 In The Shade need to open in the same year???!????

AshleyBrownFan123
#84re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:55pm

"CURTAINS will be here in the Spring (if not sooner)."

No! Why do that and the unescessary 110 In The Shade need to open in the same year???!????

Colle
#85re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:58pm

I am rooting for Celia too(and Les Mis, in general)alliez92092, because I have heard good things about her and she is playing my favorite character in the show.

RentBoy86
#86re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 3:59pm

Why do you think the producers of GG feel the need to open the show so soon? I'm sure they know it's going to be a tough sell. Why not just book the Walter Kerr and open the show in April? Granted, I think this show feels more like a "winter" show, but if they want to secure a spot in the Tonys, then I think maybe they should have waited. I'm just curious if anyone can give me a reason as to why they would open so soon. If the producers book GG on a few shows (presumably, the View and the Today show) it might sell well, or at least help get the word out there. I think it's an interesting topic for a musical and many other people might be interested as well.

Michael Bennett
#87re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:05pm

Well, I'm sure they partly feel that if they wait till spring, they will lose some of the momentum they still have from Off Broadway.

They also risked a theatre not being available in the spring. Certainly the Walter Kerr wasn't going to sit empty for eight months...

MargoChanning
#88re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:05pm

I imagine Rosie will have Ebersole on The View which should help, though I'm not sure how well "The Revolutionary Costume of Today" or "Another Winter in a Summer Town" will come across out of context on television or how many tickets it'll sell to non-Broadway fans out there nationally.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 9/14/06 at 04:05 PM

Michael Bennett
#89re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:07pm

Dare I say they would be better off doing something from the first act on talk shows?

MargoChanning
#90re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:09pm

Maybe. Those songs probably play better out of context, though I imagine they'll avoid doing "Hominy Grits." re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

AshleyBrownFan123
#91re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:11pm

"Why do you think the producers of GG feel the need to open the show so soon?"

Why did those crazy producers think that Grey Gardens would open on Broadway? It will flop and it was awful when I saw it. Chrstine Ebersole should leave that show because she is worse than the show. Usually, I go get autographs after a show if I like it. But not here! This was worse than that awful Joseph 06 tour!!!!!

"Well, I'm sure they partly feel that if they wait till spring, they will lose some of the momentum they still have from Off Broadway."

What momentum? When I was there, I saw only 50 seats filled! poh, you mean the momentum of Broadway geeks in love with Ms. Ebersole?

"They also risked a theatre not being available in the spring. Certainly the Walter Kerr wasn't going to sit empty for eight months..."

Why couldn't A Chorus Line open at the WK, Hairspray move to the Schoenfeld, and Evita open at the Neil Simon? Or have Apple Tree and 110 by Roundabout never open?

Michael Bennett
#92re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:12pm

AshleyBrownfan, you can't post comments like that and expect to be taken seriously on this board.

MargoChanning
#93re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:14pm

I was just wondering if that was supposed to be a serious post or not.

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#94re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:14pm

Michael Bennett, I take ANY Ashley Brown fan seriously. I feel a little guilty for liking the show now.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#95re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:38pm

If for some reason THE APPLE TREE is a critical and box office success, do you think that Roundabout might extend it and push 110 IN THE SHADE into next season?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#96re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:41pm

We all know Christine Ebersole will win. However, the Tony Awards could pull a "LaChanze '06" and give one of the weakest nominees an award.

munkustrap178
#97re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:42pm

I don't think so, Foster.

RentBoy86
#98re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:43pm

Doubt it, for fear of loosing Audra. I'm sure they know Apple Tree is going to be a success. It has ol' Cheno in it.

Why would they be scared of loosing a theater? Both Pirate Queen and Legally Blonde secured theaters months in advance, and Billy Elliot secured one for two years in advance?

munkustrap178
#99re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/14/06 at 4:44pm

You're missing the point.

If GREY GARDENS were to open in the spring, there is no way that Jujamcyn would keep the Kerr dark for months on end just to wait for GREY GARDENS.

It makes no sense. They are right to open it ASAP.

Videos