Color Blind Casting

broadwayguy4
#75re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/26/06 at 10:55am

I love how some of you guys are getting up in arms about Les Mis not being "historically accurate" because they cast a Black Javert. People, the show takes place in France, and a majority of the actors are singing with British Accents. Since when is musical theatre supposed to live up to some high standards of authenticity? Give me a break.

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#76re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/26/06 at 11:01am

Yeah, I just don't get it. Why would they go to see "SoulPlane" at the movie theater, but won't go see "Finding Neverland"?

Why would you go to see "Finding Neverland" but not "Soul Plane"? You see what you like and, to an extent, what you relate to. Whether it is politically correct or not to say this, there are cultural differences between white people and black people in this country. That's not to say that no African-Americans would enjoy "Finding Neverland" and no Caucasians would enjoy "Soul Plane." But people like to see themselves (or stereotypes/versions of themselves) represented in their entertainment. It's the same reason lesbians watch "The L Word" - because it's about people like them.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#77re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/26/06 at 11:13am

Based on the numbers, I think it's safe to say that NO ONE saw SoulPlane.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

elf2
#78re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/28/06 at 8:07am

>France was a major immigration point, and one of the more diverse
>countries in Europe. Also, they were quite forward-thinking, being

They weren't THAT forward thinking.

When Melba Moore played fantine, it was ridiculous. Fantine would have been persecuted at the factory for her colour. Having a bastard child would have been the least of her worries.

I'm also SICK of the people that say "in real life they wouldn't all be singing either!".

So we can cast anyone as any character in Les Mis? So lets have Marin Mazzie play Valjean. She's really talented and that's all that counts right? Then we can get a talented amputee in a wheelchair to play Enjolras. Now, while we're at it, lets set it all the barricade scenes on a winnebago because if they're all singing, it's all fantasy anyway.

It's a stupid argument. If you want colourblind casting, lets have an ENTIRELY black cast. I'd pay to see that. It's less jarring and the experimentation works.

Presenting something in musical form that tries to be factually and historically correct (costumes, sets) and then dropping in historical anomalies is too jarring.

I personally find it patronising when key roles are cast like this.

I wish the new Les Mis cast good luck because their is so much talent there and Norm Lewis is a god but I still don't like colour blind casting in this instance and I'm not going to say I like it just to appear tolerant.

LI Larry Profile Photo
LI Larry
#79re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/28/06 at 11:51am

I thought Norm did a great job as Javert in LEs Miz and the fact that he is black had no impact. Color blind casting has become the normal thing now. It may jar you for a moment but it doesn't really affect you if the cast is good enough. "You're a good Man, Charlie Brown" was one example. There was an asian Linus and black Shroeder. The race didn't bother me as much as BD Wong's stupid lisp which got really annoying by the end of the show. One example of color blind casting that is widely done is the Broadway Jr.s version of "Once on This Island". I chose this to do in my school because it's in Brooklyn and we have a widely, Carribean population but if you watch all the teaching videos that come with the kit, it's marketed to a mainly white student cast. All the kids look like they're from the suburbs and they were all white.

Thespinoy Profile Photo
Thespinoy
#81re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/29/06 at 5:35am

"Color-blind casting is wrong and unnatural. The blacks have no business being in "Les Miserables." I won't be seeing the revival, until they cast it correctly."

YEAH!!! I'm with you! White, White, White...I only want to see White on B'way. They don't call it the great WHITE way for nothing. White people can play anything! ANYTHING!!! And only White people! Who needs black people any way? Ever heard of Al Jolson? Bring him back! Asians? Hispanics? White people can do that too! M.A.C. carries a whole rainbow of colors...just apply liberally to the face and PRESTO! I smell Tony Award nomination.

'Cause if it ain't WHITE, it ain't RIGHT!!!

Mmm, Mmm, I feel sorry for the poor folk that got to pay to see this play. - The Maid from "Bullets Over Broadway."
Updated On: 10/29/06 at 05:35 AM

elf2
#82re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/29/06 at 5:47am

"Color-blind casting is wrong and unnatural. The blacks have no business being in "Les Miserables." I won't be seeing the revival, until they cast it correctly."

Ah jesus. Great way to take a valid viewpoint and screw it up the ass. Sorry... I guess you hate "the gays" being let into Les Mis too.

OrdinaryJukebox
#83re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/29/06 at 8:48am

As far as I know, "color blind" casting simply means, "We need to put more ethnic people in these roles." Because you only hear that when there's a black Roxy in "Chicago," or a black Sheila in "A Chorus Line." But, you'll never hear of a white version of "Raisin in the Sun." Let's face it, the biggest example I can think of off the top of my head is Usher in "Chicago." He's FAR too young for Billy Flynn, plus, there's no way a black lawyer would have been in such demand in those days. Same goes when there's a black character in "Grease." Yes, the race of those characters is never "central," but it's the 1950's...a high school...there's NO WAY those students would have been as accepted as those characters are with each other...

Jon
#84re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:58am

Ordinary - you are missing the point here. A RAISIN IN THE SUN IS A REALISTIC PLAY ABOUT RACE!!! CHICAGO is not. No one in CHICAGO ever says "It's tough being a white person" or "I'm glad I'm white - I hate negroes" or "Amos Hart is nice, for a Chinaman". Race is simply not an issue in the story. No one in CHICAGO is a blood relative of anyone else in the story. No one is thinking "How could a white Roxie and a Chinese Amos have a black baby?"

LostLeander
#85re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/29/06 at 6:44pm

I am absolutely astounded at the small-mindedness of some of you people.

Chicago is not about it being 1920 and the social issues surrounding the time period.

Les Mis is not about the 18th Century Caucasains, and how they deal with being white in France. The themes are about the struggle between good/evil, innocence, etc. These themes are are universal; not a single iota of racial tension or mention of color.

The show is based in its themes, characters, and actions, not its time period - which is true for most pieces.

Can you suspend your belief to accept a man, pretending to be another man, who was not even a real person to begin with, singing a song on a stage representing 18th Century France, but only if he were white?

How I see it, there's no difference between an Asian, Hispanic, African-American or a Caucasian unless specefically noted in the script.

The rest is our perception, and I pray to God that in 20 years, our perception will be a lot more accepting.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.
Updated On: 10/29/06 at 06:44 PM

COOOOLkid
#86re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/29/06 at 7:06pm

Racist bastards like tobesureof have no business in attending musicals.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

BroadwayBettini Profile Photo
BroadwayBettini
#87re: Color Blind Casting
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:12pm

Basically there is a theater rule!

Color blind casting is an option if the music and story do not mention race, and race is not central to the plot.

It's sometimes to pin down and it's also very debatable, but the truth is LES MIS isn't about them being POOR AND WHITE, it's about them being poor.

Color Purple it's about the struggle to be Black and poor in America, and how these characters triumph over circumstances.

"You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?" -Bernadette Peters

Videos