pixeltracker

Rent vs. Spring Awakening- Page 4

Rent vs. Spring Awakening

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#75re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/26/07 at 7:11pm

I have to say that I have not seen Spring Awakening live, but I own the cast album and the music does not excite me at all. The first time I heard the music from RENT, I felt like I HAD to see this show. Nothing in SA made me feel that way.

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#76re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/26/07 at 7:18pm

I remember the first time I heard RENT. I hated it. Completely. I thought it was the worst thing I ever hard, and I made the guy I was with turn it off. It's grown on me, but it's not my favorite.

But, in my defense, I was a Webber junkie.

I'm now a certified Sondheim freak.

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#77re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/26/07 at 7:42pm

I've seen Rent 4 times and Spring Awakening once, but I'd problably go back to Rent first (provided the cast was good).

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

Legally_Blonde Profile Photo
Legally_Blonde
#78re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:57pm

RENT, without a doubt. (In my opinion.)

BADDCOMPLEX Profile Photo
BADDCOMPLEX
#79re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/13/07 at 5:13pm

Its all about Rent.

I enjoyed the music of SA but the story line was trash.

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#80re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/13/07 at 5:22pm

RENT

You JUST CANNOT compare the two shows. 1 is a Rock Opera that has defined a generation, re-fueled broadway, and let an imprint of everyone who has seen it.

The other is a nice show. Fun to watch, but gets too involved in its own hype. The original script to SA was a poignant important story, and that was completely lost in it's trasnlation to musical theater. I DID enjoy this show.

BUT RENT takes FAR more of a precedance.

Start comparing the 2 shows when SA is going into it's 13th year on broadway...doubt it will ever get to 5

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

EveRy Profile Photo
EveRy
#81re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/13/07 at 5:35pm

And having a character live doesn't mean its about life. She lives for that second, but she'll die, along with everyone else.

Life is death. You can't separate the two, no matter how hard you try.

Okay, but that's the point that Rent is trying to make. Yes, Mimi will probably die soon after she comes back to life, but Roger can't escape her. Even if she's gonna die (and he will, too) they can't deny themselves and live without each other.

Larson wanted his musical to end with "life". However, I think the intent of having four of the central characters infected with AIDS was to get the point across that yes, they will die soon, but they can't limit their love for others and the love they get back.

You didn't get that when you saw the show? Well, sorry you didn't like it. Maybe you should see the Broadway production if you get the chance. And if you don't like that either, then I feel bad for. :]

Esparzafan Profile Photo
Esparzafan
#82re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/13/07 at 5:38pm

Loved Rent but I'd have to vote for Spring Awakening. No matter how many times I see it, I haven't tired of it yet.

Mattbrain
#83re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/13/07 at 5:53pm

I think both shows are amazing but I'd definitely go with Spring Awakening.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#84re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/13/07 at 6:38pm

Rent any day. Though with the current cast, I think I'm just going to avoid both.

One Song Glory
#85re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/13/07 at 7:05pm

Well, I enjoy different things about both musicals. I like SA's score more, but I like RENT's story and characters more. But if I had to pick one that I think is better, I'd pick RENT.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

#86re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/13/07 at 11:07pm

I've seen both shows and I'm going to say that I would pick Rent over Spring Awakening any day. Don't get me wrong, I love both shows and go around promoting both. I just think that Rent has a better written book. The music might be "dated" but the theme of the show is not. People are still going through those types of situations. And, yes, some of the lyrics might leave you a bit underwhelmed but every show has those moments, right? Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I would see Rent.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#87re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:55am

hard choice ... if it was what i could go see right this second, SA just because of the cast.

if it was i had a chance ot only see one in eithers prime .... i guess I'd have to say rent ... it was ahead of its time IMHO.

So ... my final answer .... Spring Awakening ... i think its much more timeless and resonates with a wider range of people. I loved Rent .. but i think what it touches on is too narrow band. Whereas SA touches on a more broad range of adolescent concepts.

... course ask me again in 5 years when SA isnt "new"

#88re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:07am

I always thought the lyrics in Goodbye Love were Roger saying "I'll Call" and Mark saying "I hate the phone"

That would make more sense wouldn't it? Oh well. My bad.

Anyways, hands down I would pick Rent. Rent may have some awkward lyrics, but Spring Awakening has full blown dumb SONGS ("My Junk is You" anyone? Lame!).

I think Duncan Sheik did a fabulous job with the music of Spring Awakening and the melodies are beautiful, but Steve Slater should have been fired after day one. Too much of the book/lyrics are inexcusably horrendous.

Updated On: 12/14/07 at 11:07 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#89re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:11am

Hated Rent.

Adore SA.

Different strokes.

Just the fact that BOTH shows illicit such diverse STRONG opinions prove that both make you think and are art.

(But yes, both ARE flawed.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#90re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:51am

RENT.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#91re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/14/07 at 7:21pm

I actually had to make this choice on my last trip. The choice was RENT. Granted, it was when A&A were still in the cast!

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

misschung
#92re: Rent vs. Spring Awakening
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:00pm

I always thought the lyrics in Goodbye Love was Roger sayin "I'll Call" and Mark saying "I hate the phone"

That would make more sense wouldn't it? Oh well.

what?

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

Videos