pixeltracker

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?- Page 4

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#75re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 2:59pm

I disagree re Sarah Uriarte Berry, I'm only really familiar with her work in PIAZZA which I thought was wonderful. She played jaded well in that and really to me "The Joy You Feel" is very much inspired by "Every Day a Little Death." Having said that, I think Powers is a great choice, she did wonderful in FOLLIES as Young Phyllis--and well, adult Phyllis shares a lot of Charlotte's characteristic. It'd be a nice transition for Powers.
I was thinking that another good choice for a young Charlotte might be Lauren Ambrose? She can sing, she's wonderful on stage.
Is Frederick being cast as 35-40 as well? I assume it'll mostly depend on who ends up playing Desiree, but I'd be curious to see who they're looking at. I think Paulo Szot, Marc Kudisch or Michael Park would all be good.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#76re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:02pm

I'm sort of intrigued by Lauren Ambrose as Charlotte, too.

I have to admit, Martha Plimpton wasn't at the top of my list for Desiree, but I do think she'd be wonderful.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#77re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:03pm

I hope we get an actual child/pre-teen as Fredricka, like London. A 20-30 year old playing the role is laughable.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#78re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:04pm

Thanks for that link ljay, but that particular article says Sondheim loved her and Nunn should get a call about her, but it doesn't say Nunn's thoughts.
But it wasn't untill after Natasha's tragic death that Nunn's transfer was announced, and than the Roundabout released the rights.
Of course Nunn would have been a fool NOT to cast her and Vanessa.
I can't find anything about this Herdicka, except he should change that name.
Any help?
Where is the Facebook info?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#79re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:06pm

As far as I know, Roundabout NEVER had the rights.

givesmevoice
#80re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:07pm

when I saw Christine Ebersole in A Little Night Music with the Boston Pops, the actress they had as Fredricka was Katie Henney, who's actually been in some American Girl movies. she wasn't mind blowingly amazing, but she was quite good. and, I believe, age appropriate.

and there's a video of Hunter Herdlicka singing "Penny in My Pocket" on THAT site. I'm watching it now, but I'm not sure how good his upper range is.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 6/14/09 at 03:07 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#81re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:18pm

How about Kelsey Fowler for Fredricka? Or the little girl who plays Debbie in BILLY ELLIOT? Whoever they get, I just hope she's not annoying as many child actors tend to be in their effort to be cute (or the director's efforts to make them cute). Fredricka is sharp and old beyond her years, so the trick is finding a girl who can pull this off without coming off like an annoying smart-ass brat.
Are they looking for a name to play Mme.Amfeldt? If Jessica Walter ever decided to return to Broadway, this would be the role for her. It'd be great to see a Sondheim veteran in the part. What is Patricia Elliot up to?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#82re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:20pm

I also thought of Kelsey Fowler. She has experience with Sondheim now. I think she could be perfect.

I heard Armfeldt could be a name.

givesmevoice
#83re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:26pm

ha, if they had Kelsey Fowler as Fredricka, maybe Sarah Hyland for Anne. although I think she reads too young for Anne, personally.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#84re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:41pm

They are indeed looking for a name for Madame Armfeldt.

Maggie Smith would be a very strong choice.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#85re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:45pm

Nice! That'd be just about as perfect as it gets.

CurtainPullDowner
#86re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 3:51pm

Oh his name is Herdlicka (much better, not).
He's a child!
Anne is gonna have to be eighteen at the most.
Maggie Smith would be ideal.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#87re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 4:42pm

Laura Benanti as Anne would be perfect... or Desiree?

If Desiree is meant to be 35 in this production (lord help us) than I can think of no one better suited to the role than her.

She could play a young-20s Anne, as well.

If they're going with unknowns, there better be a knock-out Anne/Desiree/Armfeldt trifecta!

If Lansbury isn't Armfeldt it will be the missed opportunity of the decade. And I'd leave it up to Nunn to f*ck it up above anyone else at this point (he did with CHESS).

P

CurtainPullDowner
#88re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 4:59pm

Anne is going to have to look 18,
even Benanti can't do that.
And she's too young for Dsiree,
and doesn't have the comic chops, yet.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#89re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:03pm

I wanted to see Brooke Shields as Desiree. But apparently they aren't getting a big name for the role.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#90re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:11pm

Benanti is a good Desiree in the making, give her time, she's definitely not right for this revival. She has played Anne successfully in at least one previous production (or has she played it more times?) but she's not right for the part in this production. I don't really know of any 18 (ish) year olds who are sopranos that I'd like to see in the part, the only young actress that I think would be great is Josefina and there's no way she'd get cast, pity since I think this role suits her better than Maria.

Updated On: 6/14/09 at 05:11 PM

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#91re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:15pm

Benanti played ANNE before, not Desiree. She was excellent and could do either role (or Petra or Charlotte) expertly. I have seen her in 5 different roles at this point (plus a bunch of concerts) and she never fails to impress and reveal a new side of herself and the material she performs.

If it takes a crappy revival to prompt an all-star Encores version (or lavish revival) I'm all for it.

P

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#92re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:17pm

^ Wait you're hoping this revival will spark another revival? That makes no sense, lol. Especially if this revival is a success, that won't happen.

givesmevoice
#93re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:25pm

I actually think Laura Benanti could work as Charlotte in this production. she's age appropriate and definitely has some awesome comedic chops that never get used.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#94re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:28pm

PGenre, when I typed up my whole message I clicked the stupid "clear form" button instead of "post message" so I had to re-write what I first wrote and now I see that I made no distinction in saying Benanti had played Anne before. I love her recording of "Soon." I think she could work as Charlotte as well. It'd be another Sondheim role under her belt.

musicalmack Profile Photo
musicalmack
#95re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:43pm

CurtainPullDowner, Herdlicka is good friends with my acting coach, and her facebook status the other day made the announcement.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#96re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:47pm

Benanti will hold the Sondheim torch proudly for many years to come and I look forward to her Mrs. Lovett, Dot and Fay!

and ljay, you snark, that's precisely what happened with FOLLIES and GYPSY, to name but two Sondheim shows with crappy revivals that lead to star-studded and fabulous Encores productions a few years later (GYPSY moving to Bway and winning many Tony awards last year being a prime example of a bad revival-fabulous concert-fantastic revival). And it'd be perfectly fine with me if you chose to NOT respond to my posts in the future since you seem perpetually put-out by me, darling.

A Good Nightmare Comes So Rarely,
P
Updated On: 6/14/09 at 05:47 PM

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#97re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:47pm

Again...with age, it's how old you look, not how old you are.

I've seen 18 year olds that look like they are in their late 20's and people in their 30's look like they are in their early 20's.

However, Laura Benanti is someone who looks OLDER than she really is.
So if Desiree needs to be 35, Laura could pass for 35 IMO. I wouldn't want her to play the role, but she could pass for that age.

Also, if Desiree needs to be 35ish. Then would a Madame Armfeldt probably need to look 55ish?
Maggie Smith or Angela Lansbury would be ideal for the role, but the way the age casting seems to be going they would be more like Madame Armfeldt mother!

Dollypop
#98re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 5:57pm

Let's hope for Angela Lansbury as Mme Armfeldt. A sixth Tony Award would be nice.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#99re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/14/09 at 6:08pm

If this doesn't prove Jenny Powers is perfect for Charlotte, I don't know what will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfROnIZz5SU

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Videos