pixeltracker

Official FRINGENYC Thread!- Page 5

Official FRINGENYC Thread!

Letstalk
#100re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/24/09 at 9:51am

More fringe reviews at the linked site. It is so much to keep track of, it seems only the musicals sell well.

AEA AGMA SM
#101re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/24/09 at 11:01am

I'll refute the claim that only the musicals sell well, as the show I'm working on is not a musical and we have sold out 3 out of 4 of our performances so far, the one that didn't was pretty close to it, and our final performance on Friday is also pretty close to selling out if it hasn't done so already.

Letstalk
#102re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/24/09 at 11:34am

congratulations! What show?

Anyone following hy's reviews of fringe?
Hy's

Letstalk
#103re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/24/09 at 1:06pm

I finally figured out how to post a link to one of the offbeat review sites.
fringe reviews

Huckleman
#104re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/24/09 at 1:57pm

Anyone else see this show yet?
"Tearoom Tango"
NYT coverage of Fringe show Updated On: 8/24/09 at 01:57 PM

Letstalk
#105re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/24/09 at 9:43pm

I saw For the Love of Christ and it was so bad, it was bad.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#106re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 1:25am

Saw CITIZEN RUTH tonight.
I enjoyed most of it.
Great(!) music and orchestrations and multi-part harmonies
The story dragged in some parts
My friend didnt care for it and left at intermission
But the majority of the sold-out house seemed to love it (standing ovation) and I was pretty entertained.
Reminded me a lot of URINETOWN.

AEA AGMA SM
#107re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 3:08am

I saw Citizen Ruth last night and not quite sure what I thought about it. I had a hard time caring for any of the characters. The closest one I recognized any redeemable quality in was the rocker chick Annie Golden played at the end as I felt she was the only one who really wanted Ruth to make her choice for herself and not for any of the people or groups around her.

I was also really distracted by the lighting, which I thought was terrible. I understand the difficulties of working off of a rep plot, this having been my second summer stage managing for the Fringe, but I found this production to be pretty sub-par. I can't help but feel that levels were kept low so as not to wash out the projections, but that left me straining to see people's faces from the back of the house during a good portion of the show if they weren't being hit by a followspot.

I did like the score for the most part and the performances were all pretty incredible. All in all I felt it was worth my time to see it, in addition to getting to see a friend of mine from high school who I haven't seen perform since we both graduated some 11 years ago.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#108re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 8:39am

The closest one I recognized any redeemable quality in was the rocker chick Annie Golden played at the end as I felt she was the only one who really wanted Ruth to make her choice for herself and not for any of the people or groups around her.

That was the point.

I completely agree about the lighting, though. That was my biggest complaint after seeing it. I'm chalking it up as a casualty of the Fringe Festival, when you have to share the same light plot as the 8 other shows in your venue, you only have one special, and you have 15 minutes to set up your entire show, set, lights, and everything.

I loved the score. I think the ending was kind of a letdown dramatically, but it was realistic and unresolved, and I liked it for that reason.

Also two shows that haven't been mentioned yet: I absolutely loved SUNDAY BEST and ARTIFEX. Catch those if you still can.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

After Eight
#109re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 8:58am

I saw "His Greatness," a play billed thus: "Inspired by a potentially true story about playwright Tennessee Williams." I found it interesting, well written and well acted.

It ran down somewhat at the end, but it's the best play I've seen at the Fringe thus far.

CRS14 Profile Photo
CRS14
#110re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 9:02am

I also saw Citizen Ruth last night. (EugLoven I totally recognize you from your avatar. Good times)

I thought it was pretty darn good. Not the best show I've seen, but I was definitely entertained and really enjoyed the score as well as the acting. Right from "God Help Me" I was hooked on both the score and Ruth's story. It was also funny as hell which I definitely wasn't expecting.

The lighting never bothered me - but the person who threw up right before intermission in my row was kind of a curveball.

After 4 shows (with 2 to go this Saturday), I'd say Hint was best, closely followed by Citizen Ruth, then Vote! and I Can Has Cheezburger a distant 3/4

At least you're not alone - your friends are there too.

Yero my Hero
#111re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 9:05am

Threw up? Yikes! Where were you sitting?

CRS14 Profile Photo
CRS14
#112re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 9:21am

Yep - this couple left with about 5 minutes left until intermission. Then when the lights came up there was a gift left on the floor for our entire row. I was 2nd row in the 2nd part of the orchestra, right next to the double doors.

Also I'm shocked to see how much Garrett Long (Ruth) has done in theater before! On stage I thought she looked like she was in her mid 20s!

Yero my Hero
#113re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:40am

Same here! She looked very young.

Was anyone else seeing Alice Ripley in the role of Gail? Something about the voice and the character, I just kept imagining Alice Ripley in the part.

RentBoy86
#114re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 11:19am

I thought Garrett Long was SO GOOD! She just had the perfect sense of her character.

CRS14 Profile Photo
CRS14
#115re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 11:26am

I saw a lot of Alice Ripley/Diana in the portrayal of Ruth by Garrett Long. The thing I love about both of them are the facial expressions. They are both terrific actresses.

I still can't get over how young Garrett looks.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#116re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 2:23pm

CRS14: Next time you think you see me, come over and say "Hi"

I plan to see DOLLS tonight (if I don't somehow miraculously get tickets to Britney at MSG instead)

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#117re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/25/09 at 11:37pm

Saw DOLLS tonight at Manhattan Theatre Source
Written by and starring Michael Phillis (also appearing in ABE LINCOLN)
Really really superb. Just the kind of one-man show you want to see at the FringeNYC.
Polished, funny, poignant, deft and charming (not to mention super-cute).
Definitely in my Top 3 so far.
The house was sold-out, but 9 people in the stand-by line got in for free at the last minute.

Yankeefan007
#118re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/26/09 at 8:44am

I recommend Love Money at Dixon Place.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#119re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/26/09 at 10:44am

Gotta add in a recommendation for Two on the Aisle, Three in a Van. Absolutely hysterical. Wonderful ensemble, and a perfect show for theatre lovers.

That and Abe Lincoln have been my 2 favorites thus far.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

TheatreGuy5
#120re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/26/09 at 6:55pm

Loved HOW NOW DOW JONES, but the big sleeper, in my opinion is SORORITY QUEEN IN A MOBILE HOME. NYTheatre.com gave it a loving review. So nice a play doesn't have to depend on gimmicks to be noticed. Also liked Zipperface!!?! But SQ has legs and a really enjoyable cast and script. Very sweet.

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#121re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/26/09 at 10:15pm

Here's the link to a site that is reviewing all of the shows...
More reviews

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

broadwayhoofer Profile Photo
broadwayhoofer
#122re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/26/09 at 11:45pm

Saw Vote and it was God Awful. Morgan Karr is the only redeeming factor to the show. What overhyped bull sh*t. Shows what good PR can really do for a show.

Roscoe
#123re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 11:44am

I saw WOYZECK last night. Desperately uneven production, it never really seemed to come together as it should have. Mr. Levartino and Steve Hamm gave the most assured and consistent performances, I thought. I'd love to see their performances in the context of a more consistently conceived and executed production.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 8/27/09 at 11:44 AM

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#124re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 12:36pm

Saw FAR OUT last night... Goodness gracious... It took B-SciFi to a whole new level (low?). It was just beyond silly. Beyond camp. And the miracle is everyone stayed to go along for the ride.

To quote Sandra: "This is just getting ridiculous!"

I'm not quite sure what the synopsis of this show is, other than a bunch of 1950s kids freaking out about an asteroid, a sassy one-eyed blacktress taking over the world, Spencer Liff is a nerd-turned-monster... or something...

The microphones were an absolute effin' mess! MESS! The cardboard set fell down about 3 times.

But the choreography was fantastic!!! Very sock-hop style. The entire ensemble moved very well.

Great to see fellow BWWers Ben, Alberto & Jeff in the house!

Videos