pixeltracker

Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie- Page 5

Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie

lstbutifulgrl2
#100re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 2:25am

I can get behind Alec and MJB.... but Tom Cruise... make it stop.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#101re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 10:42am

Tom may just be the John Travolta of this film. Eek.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#102re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 12:14pm

Why not? HAIRSPRAY was wonderful. I say, "GO FOR IT!"

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#103re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 12:39pm

Hairspray was wonderful, yes. And while I thought John Travolta was serviceable, it was obvious from all the reviews, and the reaction from this forum in particular, that Travolta was the weakest in the cast.

Now, in terms of Tom Cruise, I'm not as violently against him as many others seem to be. But, I'm not entirely thrilled either. I will say, however,that Less Grossman is ****ing awesome. If his Stacee Jaxx is anything like Les, then vocals aside it'd be fun to watch.

Updated On: 12/15/10 at 12:39 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#104re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 1:07pm

Stacee Jaxx is the only character that makes sense for Cruise. It's basically the same character he played in Magnolia. And if anyone remembers Interview With a Vampire, I doubt Dennis was on the table for Cruise unless he's changed his mind on playing a gay character. Cruise is far too vain to risk his career (in his mind, I mean) to add fuel to the homosexual rumors he's spent a great deal of time and money to try and extinguish. Cruise has no issues with misogynistic characters, but homosexuality is something he will never portray on screen.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Barney Stinson
#105re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 3:03pm

Cruise was fantastic as Grossman. Made that movie for me (along with Downey's role).

Would actually think Cruise should just play Les Grossman in the ROA movie. Make the RE developer an American instead of a German, and make him also a movie producer. Enter Tom as Les ------> Hilarious.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#107re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 6:01pm

Love her. Regina?

This film is gonna be a hoot

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#108re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 6:05pm

Hm, okay. Regina I can see. I had forgot about Regina. I was thinking Sherrie and I was like.. BAWAAAAAAHHHHH??!???

I mean, sure, the character has been played by 40 year olds on stage.. but on film? Eeks!

rjm516
#109re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 9:03pm

Yeah Tom Cruise could be funny and an inspired choice. Gwyneth? I don't think so.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#110re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 10:38pm

Rock of Ages is fabulous camp.

These casting choices are appropriate.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#111re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/15/10 at 10:57pm

It's funny. I never thought of it before you said that, but ROA is camp. However, camp usually implies what is often referred to as "gay camp," playing with the tropes and icons of stereotypical gay culture in a way that, while not explicitly homocentric, has an appeal to that group and their perceived cultural mindset.

Rock of Ages, along with things like Will Ferrell movies, Tenacious D, Fight Club and "The Alphabet of Manliness," are sort of the opposite. As "straight camp," they take the icons and tropes of overtly masculine heterosexuality and inflate them to deflate them. Hence the common phrase "no homo" in use today- it appears that you can only make a thing SO straight before that straightness starts to look gay.

Also, more on topic, if Alec Baldwin plays dennis, then he's going to say the beloved line "Remember when we sh!t-fu@ked that baby llama?" That's going to be my new ringtone (and ever since i got my cast recording, I've been waiting for an excuse to use the word sh!tfu@k in conversation).

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#112re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/16/10 at 12:06am

"Also, more on topic, if Alec Baldwin plays dennis, then he's going to say the beloved line "Remember when we sh!t-fu@ked that baby llama?" That's going to be my new ringtone (and ever since i got my cast recording, I've been waiting for an excuse to use the word sh!tfu@k in conversation)."

Oh man, now I hope Alec signs on!

If Alec Baldwin is Dennis, and Paltrow is Regina, that should give an idea on how they'll cast Lonny and Franz.

I originally wanted someone young for Franz, but if Paltrow is up for Regina then they'd need someone slightly older. NPH is suddenly a better option for me.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#113re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/16/10 at 12:14am

I know this is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but...

I really disliked the film version of HAIRSPRAY. It seemed flat and colourless compared to the Broadway production, almost as though it was trying to be a shot-for-shot recreation of Waters' film with a few songs thrown in.

I had the same problem with MAMMA MIA, which I enjoyed enormously seeing on stage. It's almost like, when they made films of these things, they had to make them so very literal ("We have to! It's a movie, not a play!") that they miss the core element of fun that makes these shows so enjoyable. Believe it or not, Travolta was, for me anyway, about the only saving grace of the film: he was clearly having a blast, while everyone else was so very obsessed with "acting".

And I fear that ROA will get the same "literalist" treatment and, as a result, just bog itself down. Who knows, maybe, with luck, they'll come up with a script that makes the leap from stage to screen as successfully as CHICAGO did... but I'm not holding my breath.

http://docandraider.com

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#114re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/16/10 at 12:17am

Michael Arndt is currently rewriting the script. He's responsible for 'Little Miss Sunshine' and 'Toy Story 3'.

I think (hope) that's a good indication.

#115re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/16/10 at 1:42am

Gwyneth won't be considered for Regina.. Wesley Taylor tweeted someone tonight saying the Franz and Regina subplot is gone from the movie...

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#116re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/16/10 at 2:51am

perhaps the romance subplot will be cut, since the whole Regina protest thing is sorta integral to the plot

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Barney Stinson
#117re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/16/10 at 10:38am

Not really. You could easily cut them both and just make Dennis/Lonny lead the protests. You drop the Franz/Daddy subplot and the Franz/Regina subplot. Focus on the Bourbon Room, and Drew/Sherrie.

rorschach37
#118re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/16/10 at 9:59pm

Why cut Franz and Regina? I mean, yeah their relationship subplot is a little rushed, but so is the whole second act. Rock of Ages is campy, but thats what makes it so much fun! It's not supposed to be about artistic expression, it's about saying, "Screw the way it's supposed to be, let's get wasted tonight!" It's supposed to be one big party and I think the film should stay as close to the stage version as it can.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#119re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/16/10 at 10:43pm

Staying TOO close will be hard, as Lonny is a character who not only narrates, but interacts with the audience. That sort of thing is hard to do when the image is stuck on screen and can't actually come down into the first few rows.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#120re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:40am

I doubt either Regina or Franz are cut from the film. Just their "romance" subplot. I wonder if Shankman will do what he did in Hairspray, in that at the end of the film the villains stay villains, and aren't redeemed?

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#121re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/18/10 at 12:05am

well the tweet BWW posted from Shankman seems to verify more than it denies. Specifically Gweneth Paltrow as Contstance the Rolling Stone reporter (aka the ensemble girl who serves to essentially cue "Dead or Alive"), as far as I know the general rumor was that she'd play Regina.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#122re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/18/10 at 12:12am

I wonder if Shankman will do what he did in Hairspray, in that at the end of the film the villains stay villains, and aren't redeemed?

I hope he does this. The Von Tussles change in Hairspray just made no sense.

"Thanks to this rocking beat we're no longer petty racist bitches!"

Ugh... no.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#123re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/18/10 at 11:34am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/risky-business/tom-cruise-alec-baldwin-circling-61417

Mentions everything Shankman already confirmed. But adds that Will Ferrel and Steve Carell were both offered Dennis, but passed.

I wonder if Constance will have a slightly bigger role if played by Paltrow?

rorschach37
#124re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 12/18/10 at 1:08pm

I'm still ticked that they haven't offered Constantine the role of Drew. He may not have as much box office draw, but he is the perfect Drew!!!

Videos