pixeltracker

TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences & More- Page 5

TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences & More

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#100TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 6:20pm

Never mind. Just saw the other thread. Lansbury was moved to Featured on 2/11.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#101TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 6:24pm

She's still not gonna win.

Team Finneran!

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#102TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 6:43pm

isn't Sherie Rene Scott also a well-liked member of the Broadway community? She and Kurt Deutsch have done so much work with Sh-K-Boom Records. I'm reminded of what Beth Leavel said after she won the Tony for Drowsy, that so many lesser known and ensemble actors said that she won it for them. I think that could come into play for Sherie, but I might be wrong.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

esparza 333
#103TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 7:16pm

Wow Carrie Fisher can say goodbye to her nomination and Best Actress in a Play is Davis vs Lavin vs Linney. Jan Maxwell just won her tony in my opinion. Also I do agree that Cook and Lansbury might split making way for Finneran. This is an interesting category because you can argue for any of the 3. They are all past tony winners two of them are broadway legends and one is a wonderful young actress. I think the least likely of the 3 is Barbara Cook. While I do love her and hear she is wonderful in SOS, her performance is singing songs that like it was said earlier in this thread that she has recorded many of them and performed them for years. Also there was an argument before that she is a veteran very deserving of Lead Actress Tony and now they will have given her Two Featured ones. I think it boils down to whether or not they want to give Lansbury sixth tony. She would be deserving and she is one of the most wonderful and most loved people in this business. I do however think that she might lose due to possible split in votes between her and Barbara but also because this category tends to award the scene stealing performances and critics and audiences seem to agree that Finneran is the best thing about Promises Promises (possibly Hayes too) and she also plays a hilarious character which this category loves and there has been a trend of giving this to a younger actress two years running.

As far Best Actress goes I hope Noll and Baldwin get nominations. This boils down to Scott vs Catherine but I think Sherie has the edge because she is Everyday Rapture. She is onstage every second and gets to be touching, hilarious and show off her many talents. She has the critics behind her and she is well liked in the theater community.

And while some categories are somewhat depressing (Score, Book) the performance categories are very very exciting. Aside from Hodge there is no real lock and that will make for a very entertaining ceremony.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#104TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 7:34pm

I agree that locks for wins are very scarce-looking right now. The only ones I think are La Cage for Best Revival, Hodge for Best Actor and Memphis for Score.

Jan Maxwell is wonderful in Tenor, but her part is so small I'm not sure that she will win for it (although I agree she will be nominated). Competing against almost-leads like Sarah Poulson could be a challenge.

I think that there will be a lot of unexpected nominations, particularly in the Featured categories, which seem incredibly wide open.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Wayman_Wong
#105TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 5/1/10 at 3:01am

The show that might've benefitted most from today's Tony news is 'Memphis.' ... 'American Idiot' didn't submit its score because it wasn't 50% new, so DiPietro and Bryan don't have to compete with Green Day. I'd add that DiPietro has a good shot at Book, too. And Barbara Cook's move to Featured, frees up a slot in Leading Actress, which could benefit Montego Glover.

And I agree that Viola Davis' move to Leading Actress benefits Jan Maxwell's chances for winning for 'Tenor.' It's a small role, but she's brilliant, and I think voters WANT to recognize her for both 'Royal Family' and this. Maxwell's strongest competitor would seem to be Scarlett Johansson, but her show's no longer running.
Updated On: 5/1/10 at 03:01 AM

Gloryday225 Profile Photo
Gloryday225
#106TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 5/1/10 at 4:44am

I love Memphis, I really do. That show has a special place in my heart. But if it's nominated for (or wins, although I don't see that happening) for best book, I will truly be baffled. Just... no. If anything, I think the show deserves best choreography, and I think Chad Kimball absolutely deserves a nom for best actor. I'm going to be really annoyed if John Gallagher beats him out for essentially being angsty for 1.5 hours.

Videos