pixeltracker

Wicked Saved Broadway!!! So did many musicals before Wicked! Cake!- Page 5

Wicked Saved Broadway!!! So did many musicals before Wicked! Cake!

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#100re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/14/05 at 6:57pm

Don't be sorry, Aigoo!

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#101re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/14/05 at 7:03pm

Well, actually, the first Broadway musical I ever saw was last Spring Break. Although I was 13, I felt like I had a moderately good grasp on musical theatre.

Well...my naive-ness combined with Julie Hanson's off-key voice didn't exactly motivate me to go out there and start picking off some OBCR's at Border's.

But recently (about 3 weeks ago), my friend brought in the OBCR of Wicked [this is actually how I got to know her], I had Defying Gravity stuck in my head ALL day. I ended downloading the entire Wicked album, then said "what the hey", and went to go buy it.

Now, I'm proud to say that I have started voice lessons, and hope to soon become a student in some sort of Musical Theatre program.

Mark my words, Sondheim, I will be astonishing. :)

This is my signature.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#102re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/14/05 at 7:11pm

That's awesome! When I started voice lessons, my teacher brought over a recording of "Castle on a Cloud" and asked if I wanted to sing it. I had that song in my head until my next lesson one week later. She let me borrow her recording and I was hooked. It doesn't matter how it happens or with what show it happens, but once your hooked - YOU ARE HOOKED!!

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#103re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/14/05 at 7:14pm

Ha ha PAB, now you can sleep!

billygoatgirl300
#104re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/14/05 at 7:38pm

I don't think Wicked helped save Broadway. In the 70's there were shows like A Chours Line and Annie which in my mind were the first wave of shows to save Broadway. Soon there were shows like Cats and Phantom which really saved Broadway. But who said Broadway was even in trouble? Before Wicked came there were shows like The Lion King, The Producers and Mamma Mia. Even if Wicked wasn't open now Broadway wouldn't need help.

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2

RentBoy86
#105re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:07am

Sorry, I just read this post on page 3 and have to ask why race is an issue in attendence? I mean i know it's going to happen, but I don't understand it. I don't mean for this to turn into a racist debate or anything, but simply to better undstand the situation. Why don't african-americans go to the other shows besides ones featuring african-americans? I'm sure you'll find a lot of white ppl in the audience at rasin in the sun, etc. Why don't they support "our" shows. And I think calling them "ours" shows is wrong on so many levels, but whatever. Just a question...

Roger's Chica Profile Photo
Roger's Chica
#106re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:41am

Even if we all don't think Wicked was amazing or saved Broadway (which I'm not really debating or agreeing with)... It probably should be acknowledged that Wicked was the first AMERICAN grand musical. Which gives it some importance, at least, and it can't really be glossed over.

RentBoy86
#107re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:42am

what do you mean first American Grand Musical? Rent was American...

Roger's Chica
#108re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:55am

Rent's not technically a Grand Musical. The set isn't elaborate enough, there's very little spectacle... there's a couple more critera that I can't remember without my notes, but there's something about the music that makes it not a Grand Musical.

The traditional "Mega Musicals" are considered the Grand Musical (ALW of the 80s, specifically Starlight Express and Phantom, Miss Saigon, etc). Wicked differs a little, because it deals more with philosophical questions (opposed to political), but it's the first American show to fit the Grand Musical criteria.

RentBoy86
#109re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:59am

Oh, Okay I get what you're saying. In the sense of like critical praise and staying power, I would consider Rent a mega musical, but Yeah i see what you're saying. But yeah, I would considered Wicked the first American Mega Musical, that i can think of. Producers and Hairspray aren't really in the "mega" category.

Roger's Chica
#110re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 2:08am

Oh, yeah, I should probably make sure to say that I'm not talking about mega musicals. (JSC and Evita aren't Grand Musicals either, they count as concept musicals because of their technical elements... following one person's life and especially with the decision to bring Che and Eva together as characters in Evita, though he wasn't in Argentina at the time.) I'm sort of using stupid terms from school, but I'm just trying to point out that Wicked has made some sort of mark.

RentBoy86
#111re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 2:36pm

Totally agree. I love Wicked. I think it's def. a mega musical in any sense of the word.

Derek
#112re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 2:46pm

I think its the kind of show that picks up new broadway people. people that arent usually interested in theatre may see wicked and get hooked, which im sure we all can agree is a good thing. i personally love it as i sad before. we all have our own "favorite" shows. I def. Wicked will become a legend

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#113re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 2:51pm

RentBoy86,

I assume you are talking about my post. It is just a fact that African American's for the most part do not attend the theatre. I could go into the reasons I and many others think they don't. We discuss this in our meetings at the DCTC (Denver Center Theatre Company) a lot. I can say that it is partly due to economy and it is also a cultural thing. My black friends used to think I was some kind of a snob because I saw more than the black productions I mentioned in my post on page 3. I will say that it is my thought that there was a time that African Americans were probably not allowed in to the Legitimate Theatre. So there was not a lot of exposure. There was the Chitlin Circuit for music but none for theatre, that I know of. After years of non exposure and being excluded, I suspect that Theatre is looked at as something elite by a lot of the African American Community. So therefore they go when it is a show that they can relate to as an African American. There were, and are these very low budget shows targeted at the African American community such as the "Beauty Shop" series back in the 80's that would sell out a 2 or 3 day stays in a city. I forget the name of the person behind these shows, but to me and a lot of African Americans I know, they are apalling. Poor acting, sets, etc. Pretty much a money making scheme. And I don't attend them. One was enough for me. But they know their market and they go for it. Most people outside of the Black community don't even know the show is in town. As I said before, it saddens me because I think we can all relate to/understand/enjoy/like/have our minds stimulated/dislike or whatever, any show out there. I have dragged a few of my black friends to the theatre kicking and screaming! And by the time the show was over, some of them were ready to see another show!This is why I Chair the organization I do to try to get more Africans into the theatre.

Hope I made sense. Just my opinion.

Just give the world Love.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#114re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:04pm

Hey, uncaged. I've seen most of the tyler perry plays..on video. I love them and I'm a white guy. What do you think of that kinda writing? Just curious to what you think.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#115re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:22pm

Adam Chris,

I must admit that I was not really familiar with him until I saw him on Oprah and realized I had heard of him! Didn't know he had his work out on DVD. What did you watch on DVD. I went to Netflix and none of the DVD's have been released yet.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 4/15/05 at 03:22 PM

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#116re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:45pm

I'm all for people to stop discriminating the Wicked fans! We don't tease them or harm them! At least I don't.

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#117re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:49pm

I first got hooked on Broadway by "Pippin." I saw the touring company in Baton Rouge, LA with Barry Williams, of all people. I wound up seeing his understudy (Michael Rupert?)

A few years later I saw it on Broadway.

There are always shows that will haunt you.

Bravo for "Wicked" if it's somebody's obsession. It's not mine. I saw it, and enjoyed it.

Will I see the Chicago production when it opens? Probably not. I'd rather see something that I haven't been exposed to before. I know that every performer brings something diffrent to the role. But I'd rather not pay a nice piece of cash, just so that I can compare the two productions.

Did it saved Boradway?

Broadway always needs saving.

ButtonstheClown Profile Photo
ButtonstheClown
#118re: Wicked HELPED Save Broadway!!!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 9:41pm

I can't agree.

Silence seemed the only way. Now I understand it's cost.

Videos